Salmon Creek Shark Attack?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
CBS SF Bay Area

Victim Suffers Critical Injuries In Shark Attack Off Sonoma County Coast

Syndicated Local – CBS San Francisco 35 mins ago

http://a.msn.com/01/en-us/AAP6hCc?ocid=sf
https://twitter.com/share?url=http%3a%2f%2fa.msn.com%2f01%2fen-us%2fAAP6hCc%3focid%3dst&text=Victim+Suffers+Critical+Injuries+In+Shark+Attack+Off+Sonoma+County+Coast&original_referer=http%3a%2f%2fa.msn.com%2f01%2fen-us%2fAAP6hCc%3focid%3dst
https://web.whatsapp.com/send?text=http%3a%2f%2fa.msn.com%2f01%2fen-us%2fAAP6hCc%3focid%3dsw

Comments|

Whistle-blower to accuse Facebook of contributing to Jan. 6 riot, memo says

Small plane crashes into empty building outside Milan, all 8 onboard die

SONOMA COUNTY (CBS SF) — Emergency crews were dispatched Sunday morning to Salmon Creek State Park on the Sonoma County coast to render aid to a shark attack victim.

Among the crews responding was California Highway Patrol air operations, who said they were transporting the victim to Santa Rosa Memorial.

“CHP H-32 is enroute to Santa Rosa Memorial with a trauma patient who was reported to have been bitten by a shark,” the CHP posted on Facebook. “Bodega Bay Fire Protection District, Sonoma Sheriff, and California State Parks are currently at the scene and the patient is reported to be critically injured.”

While shark attacks are not common even through great white sharks roam along the coast, there was an attack at the same beach in May 2019.

Local surfer Katie Wilson was paddling out to catch her first wave when she suddenly found herself in a life-or-death struggle with a great white.

She was 100 yards offshore of North Salmon Creek Beach and the shark caught her surfboard leash in its mouth, gave it a yank and began to thrash.

Fortunately, her ordeal was over in seconds. The shark severed the leash with its teeth and the board was released. Wilson escaped shaken, but unharmed.

“I was freaking out and hyperventilating and super, super scared,” she told the Santa Rosa Democrat at the time. “He (her husband) just paddled next to me and told me to breathe and everything’s fine. And even at that time, I was in shock. I didn’t know if I had gotten bitten. I had no idea. It was so much adrenaline.”

In June, a swimmer did suffer injuries in a great white attack at Gray Whale Cove State Beach north of Half Moon Bay in San Mateo County.

38-year-old San Francisco resident Nemenja Spasojevic said the attack was so quick it was over before he even knew what was happening.

What was supposed to be a day of snorkeling and crabbing for Spasojevic took a terrifying turn when he felt something on the back of his right leg.

“Very quick, like an, almost like a mosquito bite; kind of like a sharp pain and a little bit of a push,” said Spasojevic, describing the initial contact.

At first, he didn’t know what it was. Then he came face to face with the great white and realized it had bitten his leg.

At that point, he says he got to the beach as fast as he could, realizing his wetsuit was filling up with blood.

Limping and bleeding, Spasojevic called out to a fisherman for help.

“So I yell at the fisherman, ‘Hey! Shark attack! Shark attack!’ So it took us some time to get his attention,” said Spasojevic. “But then once he saw me, I was like, I just kind of drop on the sand.”

Scary, but as it turned out, his injuries were not too serious.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Damn, glad to hear he's okay. :shaka:

I grew up surfing that beach 20+ years ago, and still get out there a couple times a year when up visiting family. I wasn't too spooked about the spot back then, although maybe I was just young and dumb. Nowadays, whitey is always in the back of my mind.

Once, a friend and I were suiting up at one of the small pull-over parking spots on the north side when another surfer stopped to let us know about a shark attack there earlier in the day. There were no signs posted, and we were minutes from walking down and paddling out. We were laughing wondering why it was so good, yet empty. :shark:

Reactions: PPK96754

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Damn, glad to hear he's okay. :shaka:

I grew up surfing that beach 20+ years ago, and still get out there a couple times a year when up visiting family. I wasn't too spooked about the spot back then, although maybe I was just young and dumb. Nowadays, whitey is always in the back of my mind.

Once, a friend and I were suiting up at one of the small pull-over parking spots on the north side when another surfer stopped to let us know about a shark attack there earlier in the day. There were no signs posted, and we were minutes from walking down and paddling out. We were laughing wondering why it was so good, yet empty. :shark:

i would think guys might say that just to keep surfers away from their spot

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Same. Fifteen minute session and then "noped" the fvvk out. Good waves too, but I was not having fun.
That's how I felt the one time I went out at Surf beach . Waves were fun but it was not at all an enjoyable experience. My friend I was with got one in, leaving me waiting out the back for several minutes feeling mildly terrified.

Reactions: hammies

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Same. Fifteen minute session and then "noped" the fvvk out. Good waves too, but I was not having fun.
Kind of place that you REALLY want to be selective about which waves you catch. Even if it's a perfect wave, what's behind it? So easy to get yourself pinned on the inside by the rest of the set(s) and you pay hard when that happens. sh!t, you surf huge Sunset on the regular; I don't need to tell you that scenario.

But yeah, you sometimes are waiting way out the back for a while. The worst is murky water and you periodically see darker large shadows moving through it. Even if just tricks of the light, it does get your mind moving in bad directions. That's what's so weird about this, sunny day, clear water, no wind, absolutely clean conditions when it happened. Really hope he makes a full recovery. Fortunately, sounds like it missed his femoral - super lucky.

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus