Saldadita? Or....?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Playa Linda rivermouth was a lot of fun last time I was in the area (my first time down). A bit soft, but clean peaky waves over what seemed like mostly sand-bottom supported by some cobblestone iirc. We were staying at some swank place on the cliffs near town for a few days and it was by far the most accessible wave for quick strike missions. I was by far the whitest dude in the line-up and there were plenty of local rippers, but it was pretty easy to find a peak of my own.

Wife and I stayed in Troncones after that and it was a nice little town for a couples/family retreat. But it was early season (March) and surf was limited to the point. Supposedly the beach break gets fun once the south swells are running? I don't know. The point provided plenty of entertainment, but it is basically just a sketchy take-off over sharp reef that piddles out to a fat shoulder immediately thereafter. Every once in a while one would line up and give you a bit of a wall to play with, but the wave is nothing compared to El O's zone. If you wind up there, look for the piece of reef that looks a dinosaur head (locals called it "el Barney") near the take-off zone as a line-up and to make sure you don't get greedy and paddle yourself too deep...the wave will tax your mistakes/greed and I paid with a hand-sized patch of skin on my back on a bigger day with no-one else out.

We stopped in Saladita to check it out. There wasn't much swell running, so the point was just a bunch of broken up mushy left sections. Maybe fun on a longboard, but wouldn't bother with shortboards in those conditions. And there were a TON of surfers in that town. Everywhere you looked. We high-tailed it out of there quickly.

Got out to El O's zone one morning for a quick strike mission. Saw the compound, but didn't have time to stop by - had to get back bc it was the morning of my wife's b-day and it took longer than expected to find/get there from Troncones. I won't say too much about it, but would 100% recommend driving out there, especially given the erbb's favorite ex-pat's generous offers.

Regardless of where you end up, there is no way not to have a good time in that area. Enjoy!

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Haha. I knew it!
I don’t know that for a fact but I am familiar with the people you mentioned. People that live in palapas shouldn’t throw fire?

Indio rented a house behind our house in Barrio. I never personally had a problem with him. My wife’s mother’s oldest sister’s husband was papa’s first cousin. We’re kinfolk.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don’t know that for a fact but I am familiar with the people you mentioned. People that live in palapas shouldn’t throw fire?

Indio rented a house behind our house in Barrio. I never personally had a problem with him. My wife’s mother’s oldest sister’s husband was papa’s first cousin. We’re kinfolk.
There was something about Indio that bothered me. Maybe it was the earring.

Maybe it was that he invited my wife and my friend’s wife to a “party” he was “having” at his restaurant after hours and when we all showed up with cervezas the “party” was him and one other dude.

They both seemed...disappointed and told us we were rude bringing our own beer to a restaurant.

I got the sense that him and Lourdes’ family didn’t get along.

When we came back the following year to have dinner with Lourdes and Co. (that wave there sucks ass) Indio’s was burned and Papa owned the palapas and a new place (the orange building).

That was all that was there at that time.

We surfed Troncones, El Rancho and A-Frames. I also scored The Ledge (apparently before it was even a spot) a couple times.

Good times.

Reactions: sizzld1

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Is the surf pretty fun down in the Troncones area in July? I was thinking a quick strike solo mission for a few days, something that I could leave SFO in the morning, and be surfing that afternoon. I need something easy, not a bunch of connections, or lay overs, fun waves, read a book, and decompress. I was there years ago with my wife and we stayed at "The Inn at Manzanillo," surfed there and in town, I had fun, and probably one of the best rib eyes I've ever had at the place where you can help the turtles hatch, anyway any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I brought boards, but the Inn at Manzanillo had some decent fairly new options and there's a couple surf shops/other hotels in town that looked like they had a decent selection. One of the shops is run by a gringo from Texas named Bruce that's been down there forever, shapes, and surfs the point at Manzanillo as well as anyone I saw. Seemed to have a good program with the local groms as well. Good dude to support from what I saw. I wonder if ElOgro knows him?

Last edited:

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
What kind of boards would you be riding here with the below forecast? The waves look a little soft but I’m not convinced that’s true, since most of the video I can find is pretty far away. Would you bring a step? Also I guess my first question should be does Surfline get the size right?

169EA706-2D1F-46F2-8EE6-F1CBDA43195C.jpeg

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
What kind of boards would you be riding here with the below forecast? The waves look a little soft but I’m not convinced that’s true, since most of the video I can find is pretty far away. Would you bring a step? Also I guess my first question should be does Surfline get the size right?

View attachment 111983
That forecast looks gawked. You seldom need a stepup board in the area.

It’s rained a shitload lately
464FC9F3-A2D9-43B3-B79D-347FEEDCE652.jpeg
(Monday afternoon)

so water quality may be an issue. Good luck and don’t forget to duck!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The relaxed rocker kind. Everyone I've ever talked to said Saladita is a log/fish wave.

Not to gainsay what El Ogro said, specifically the word "need", but I'd bring a specific step up of mine that has served me well in Mex/Centro point surf. Those spots on this forecast are generally larger than what I surf in Florida, moving much faster, longer paddle, and not as tight of a pocket. I tend to start reaching for more length earlier than everyone else, so this is my eccentricities as well.

I would guess the face height is ballpark for a spot like Troncones. 6-8, I'm expecting sets pushing DOH. You go somewhere legit canyon-fed, double the predicted size face height would be my approximation. YMMV. I've been on trips and had people laugh in my face because I didn't call double overhead-ish sets four foot, and I've had people in Florida about to start crying because I told them their 10 foot hurricane swell is 4-5, like some hermit's foot-call changes the fact there's finally slightly overhead waves in Florida.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
So, we went to Saladita two weeks ago, rented Lordes's green house at the top of the point and had a great time. Plenty rain and the water was 90 degrees! Mid day surfs were just too hard. Surfed the fish out front the first day (son rode shortboard) and a half, overhead and crazy fun; like 12+ turns every wave. After that, we just logged there, especially because the Mexi Log Fest, in Punta Mita was dwindling down and there a bunch of world class loggers from all over the globe out at Saladita. Fun but competitive.

tl;dr, you need a log. Plenty to rent though.

1625171336740.png

Surfed the ranch twice; first time way overhead but kinda soft and all over the place; not breaking like a true point at all. Must have been a weird direction. Super glassy. Fun, but I forgot my trunks and had to surf in my underwear. Yeah.:foreheadslap: Lots of locals out.

Surfed the ranch the second time (brought trunks!) like shoulder high; not great, but pretty fun. Buncha kooks out from a boat trip.

Went to Troncones one afternoon; beachbreaks were blown and the point wasn't really working. One guy out. Skipped it and got beers.

Didn't hook up with el ogro, unfortunately. Had a ton of stuff going on before (HS graduation and such) and never communicated with him.

Go to Mexico and you'll have fun!

Might drive to Baja Sur in 2 weeks....

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
So, we went to Saladita two weeks ago, rented Lordes's green house at the top of the point and had a great time. Plenty rain and the water was 90 degrees! Mid day surfs were just too hard. Surfed the fish out front the first day (son rode shortboard) and a half, overhead and crazy fun; like 12+ turns every wave. After that, we just logged there, especially because the Mexi Log Fest, in Punta Mita was dwindling down and there a bunch of world class loggers from all over the globe out at Saladita. Fun but competitive.

tl;dr, you need a log. Plenty to rent though.

View attachment 112250

Surfed the ranch twice; first time way overhead but kinda soft and all over the place; not breaking like a true point at all. Must have been a weird direction. Super glassy. Fun, but I forgot my trunks and had to surf in my underwear. Yeah.:foreheadslap: Lots of locals out.

Surfed the ranch the second time (brought trunks!) like shoulder high; not great, but pretty fun. Buncha kooks out from a boat trip.

Went to Troncones one afternoon; beachbreaks were blown and the point wasn't really working. One guy out. Skipped it and got beers.

Didn't hook up with el ogro, unfortunately. Had a ton of stuff going on before (HS graduation and such) and never communicated with him.

Go to Mexico and you'll have fun!

Might drive to Baja Sur in 2 weeks....
You were 1km away and didn’t stop by? :mad: :shameonyou:

If you saw a crazy lady with a bunch of dogs early in the morning that was my wife.

Bunch of locals? There’s my kids (2) and another guy and a gal that can claim local status here. That’s a total of four max. Everyone else was a visitor like you, with the exception being that you and yours would have been welcome. The rest can fvck right off. You were invited.

You were there for the double shooting right? Beto and his buddy?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
I know; I'm sorry! I don't know where you're at to "stop by".

I don't remember a crazy lady.

Maybe they were your kids with some friends?

Don't remember seeing a double shooting, thank god.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I know; I'm sorry! I don't know where you're at to "stop by".

I don't remember a crazy lady.

Maybe they were your kids with some friends?

Don't remember seeing a double shooting, thank god.
Well I’m disappointed.

For the area in general, what did you like/not like? Any problems? Would you go back to the same place?

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
You're making me feel bad.

We liked it a lot! We really loved the breakfast place at the ranch, especially the instant coffee. Good food at Lordes and Bennys, too.

Our house was good, though water and electricity went out almost every day. Lordes was cool. Went to Zihua for an afternoon and got absolutely dumped on.

Iguanas, hairless dogs, cracking coconuts, eating mangoes, Modelos, insane lightning storms every night, long lefts.:D

I don't know that I'd go back; the wave got a little boring. Maybe if I liked logging more and maybe if there weren't so many insane loggers out....

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Only problems were getting there; one of our trays wouldn't close on the AA plane out of SLO which apparently is a deal breaker. Delayed until the pilot duct tapped the sh#t out of it closed. Then the actual door to the plane wouldn't close; we were deplaned, they fixed it, then boarded again, but by then had missed our connection in Phoenix.

They put us up in a hotel in Tempe (was 112 degrees) for the day and night and switched us to United and got us a connection IN HOUSTON. Got to Zihua a day late. Oh well.