Sailing lessons...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I took a weeklong sailing course when I was around 12, and other than the fact I had a lot of fun I barely remember anything. The boat I learned to sail was a Laser or something similar. My parents owned a Hobie Cat when I was younger but I was always just along for the ride.

I'd really like to learn again and suppose to would make sense to start with small boats like the above, however I can only seem to find one place here in SD that offers ASA110 Basic Small Boat Sailing. Plenty of places offering ASA101 Basic Keelboat though, but my assumption is that since it's doubtful I'd be able to afford sailing any boat like that in the near future it would be a waste of time.

Advice/insults?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Those new hobie mirage trimarans look easy to sail solo and safer than a catamaran. Friends of mine have sailed out to the channel islands on a hobie cat without any sort of official lessons. Not saying it was a smart decision on their part, but it's not that complicated.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Those new hobie mirage trimarans look easy to sail solo and safer than a catamaran. Friends of mine have sailed out to the channel islands on a hobie cat without any sort of official lessons. Not saying it was a smart decision on their part, but it's not that complicated.

:socrazy::socrazy::shameonyou::socrazy::socrazy:

Not too complicated, when everything goes well.

The complicated comes when that stops.

Ask ANY seasoned sailor what they think about your friends adventurous spirits.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey::loser::foreheadslap::drowning:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
sorry to go all the way back to ES#1 but riding swells on a Hobie Cat
is great fun.
IMO best done w/boat owned by others.
;)

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Join a yacht club. Sailing is way more fun if you race. Most yacht clubs have Laser races.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
In your neighborhood, Mission Bay Yacht Club has a great small boat racing program. They have an annual membership drive when they open to the public. Mission Bay Aquatic Center right next door has learning programs and boat rentals and maybe some race options. Might need to be SDSU affiliated or volunteer as a summer camp counsellor on your days off.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Pretty sure Fecal posted up some info about sailboat rental and lessons based out of Dana Point Harbor. I was considering it for a planned trip where the surf forecast wasn't promising but the surf exceeded expectations so there was no need for alternative activities.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Mumphus and his mom took a vacation together once and they rode on a sailboat. To hear him tell it he built it, sailed it, and conquered an island full of savages where he gave them all funny little nicknames.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
In your neighborhood, Mission Bay Yacht Club has a great small boat racing program. They have an annual membership drive when they open to the public. Mission Bay Aquatic Center right next door has learning programs and boat rentals and maybe some race options. Might need to be SDSU affiliated or volunteer as a summer camp counsellor on your days off.
Aquatic Center seems to be a good option and its around the corner. Pretty much the only place locally that seems to be offering anything of the sort.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I took a weeklong sailing course when I was around 12, and other than the fact I had a lot of fun I barely remember anything. The boat I learned to sail was a Laser or something similar. My parents owned a Hobie Cat when I was younger but I was always just along for the ride.

I'd really like to learn again and suppose to would make sense to start with small boats like the above, however I can only seem to find one place here in SD that offers ASA110 Basic Small Boat Sailing. Plenty of places offering ASA101 Basic Keelboat though, but my assumption is that since it's doubtful I'd be able to afford sailing any boat like that in the near future it would be a waste of time.

Advice/insults?
Marina Sailing

they have programs in all the major marinas up and down the coast

you can rent boats out of any harbor

once you have the 102 IIRC you can take out the big boats on overnighters

I still need to finish my nighttime nav work and test for the 102

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Marina Sailing

Do you consider yourself a sailor or a Captain. What do you tell women you meet at the bar?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Marina Sailing

CSC looks good. Unfortunately they don't appear to offer anything for small boats i.e. Lasers n cats.