S-Wing fins - Can’t remember why I ordered them…

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I ordered these 6 months ago and forgot about them. They came today. Someone here was using them and raved about them (twin fin) but I can’t remember who or what board.

Anyway…if you have used them on something other than a skim board with chunks of foam glued onto it post about it for me please….

9A9AC351-53D1-42BC-91FB-C6672A1A08AE.jpeg

For your troubles…

AF3AE4E8-8128-46EB-9FD1-654697465F8F.jpeg

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I have the purples and just got the keels
haven't had a chance to ride them yet

got them specifically for this board, Terry Chung double wing swallow 5'10"x24"x3.75" to alleviate the pivot from the double wings and bouy-ness.
Chung2.PNG

I also picked up these fins from Robin Mair at Hanalei Fins to try on this board for comparison
cnc-a4c-550-twin-futures-deep-thumb-320.png cnc-a4c-500CK-center-futures-shallow-thumb-320.png

He also has these designs all relatively inexpensive compared to those french made fin(s-wings)
hrd-kore-WTF-425-twin-600.png
single-TX-header-600.png
single-FLX-header-600.png

not hard to tell that I like experimenting with weird/non-conventional stuff
but then morey/vinney bryan were my heroes as a grom in the 70's
One of my 70's experiments.. ran good front side
unnamed (2).jpg

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've tried them, mainly on a few different Tomo shapes. I didn't get enough drive out of this set and could feel them cavitate during bottom turns. Stiffer ones with a larger base would solve this, I think.

There is something to them though. They feel like they generate tons of speed through roundhouse cutbacks.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I had a lot of fun with the red twin/trailer set in my Stamps Shadow and other similar boards. They did not feel like enough fin in wide tailed grovelers.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’ve got the purple and red 520’s and the orange 540’s with trailer.

The main application for me was a Webber 6’6 crazy funboard contraption. They are Epic in that board and I can even surf it sans trailer with the shaper’s dot at probably 13”. I rate the twins really high, they just make me look at certain boards very differently.

I’ve only ridden the thruster set a handful of times but haven’t bothered dialing them in….to many other projects on the go. They performed admirably in a 5’9 Dumpster Diver though.

Reactions: Aruka and Bman76

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I have not used those specific fins but I have used fins that were similar. They were good for building/creating speed in flat faced waves. Down the line small point surf was ideal for me. As soon the waves started feeling bottom and getting some curve in the face, I wanted more conventional fins to tighten the arc/hit the lip etc on waves with more available push.

That ass... :eek:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Flex fins are good on flat faced waves. I like them for generating speed and doing nice buttery turns. But like sharky said... as soon as the wave has some curve they are not fun anymore.

Reactions: Havoc

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Flex fins are good on flat faced waves. I like them for generating speed and doing nice buttery turns. But like sharky said... as soon as the wave has some curve they are not fun anymore.
Seemed to go all right for TC in Mexican hollow waves...yeah I know...Archer!
Also they do have quite a bit of variety in flex patterns/stiffness as well as varied base and trailing arm lengths now compared to even a year ago.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Still fkn love the 520's.

Midkeel 470 Reds got here yesterday and they will go in the Mackie. I adore this board and I've got a feeling these will be magic but I'll find out maybe later today.

Really crucial to have the right flex. I was swinging between the red and purple 520's depending on my thicccness. Boing turns into wet noodle pretty quickly.

They make relatively smaller fin bases which took some getting used to for me, ie I need to point them downhill to build speed more than the usual twins but after riding them for a while the balance is about right with the 520's and above.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Go
Still fkn love the 520's.

Midkeel 470 Reds got here yesterday and they will go in the Mackie. I adore this board and I've got a feeling these will be magic but I'll find out maybe later today.

Really crucial to have the right flex. I was swinging between the red and purple 520's depending on my thicccness. Boing turns into wet noodle pretty quickly.

They make relatively smaller fin bases which took some getting used to for me, ie I need to point them downhill to build speed more than the usual twins but after riding them for a while the balance is about right with the 520's and above.
The mid keel 470’s go well in the big Hypto.
IMG_0255.jpeg