Ryan Sakal

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I ride his Scout and Chief models. The Scout is incredible. I haven't take the Chief out yet (it's his step-up model) but it came out looking so good.

Ryan is my go-to shaper. Incredibly nice guy, invites you to his shaping bay to nail down a custom, always has sick looking shapes in there, and he is honest about timing. Plus, you're getting it glassed in the moonlight factory. I recommend.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I've been riding his boards for about 5 years. Ive been through his MR twin (least fav), a few Ramblers as first a tri and then twinzer (decent), a twin Sabre (epic) and a twin Scout (epic). My kid has a tri step up on the way. LMK if u need specific info or DM me. I recommend going into to moonlight to see him with a few boars you like (if ur in the area). I did that for the first few years. Now he knows me well enough we do the order through text. My kid brought her CI in a few weeks ago to order her step up. He's a good person.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I've been riding his boards for about 5 years. Ive been through his MR twin (least fav), a few Ramblers as first a tri and then twinzer (decent), a twin Sabre (epic) and a twin Scout (epic). My kid has a tri step up on the way. LMK if u need specific info or DM me. I recommend going into to moonlight to see him with a few boars you like (if ur in the area). I did that for the first few years. Now he knows me well enough we do the order through text. My kid brought her CI in a few weeks ago to order her step up. He's a good person.
Scout is truly an insane board!!! Mine is pretty beat up haha

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
I didn't know any of this about Sakal - only that people have spoken highly of him. I'm looking forward to trying one of his shapes at some point soon.

Reactions: Aruka and chilly1

jwd

Nov 24, 2004
@urchined the outlines of the scout and sabre look very similar on his site. How do they differ? Which one has more range?

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
@urchined the outlines of the scout and sabre look very similar on his site. How do they differ? Which one has more range?
Sabre is a mid length. Lots of foam-especially the front half. Mine is 6'9X21X2 5/8". I usually keep it for larger soft reefs which it is perfect for. Works great as a crowd battler as well. But I'll take it out at smaller beach and it always works better than I think it will or should.

Scout is a more a performance alternative short board. It rips and has a huge range. I had mine in really good south shore kauai for a few weeks plus mex this summer. Waste high to head and half. it handled the entire thing really well. Really good backside for a twin but I think that is true for round tail twins in general.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Had ordered a custom from Ryan early last month. Picked it up yesterday. His take on a sd fish. Board came out great and Ryan was a great guy to work with. Will probably work with him more in the future once I can get past some injury problems and get back to surfing more consistently. Good experience all around and board looks like it should go.

1687625440550.png

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Had ordered a custom from Ryan early last month. Picked it up yesterday. His take on a sd fish. Board came out great and Ryan was a great guy to work with. Will probably work with him more in the future once I can get past some injury problems and get back to surfing more consistently. Good experience all around and board looks like it should go.

View attachment 157129
Where the fins placed at?
Looks nice n clean. Should be a blast. Can I ask how much he charges for something that?

Reactions: trifish

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I ordered a Sabre through Ryan, great experience, I live too far north to meet him in person, but everything over the phone went great, and I received exactly what I expected. This model for me, more geared towards lined up point (which I am finding pretty much goes for all mid twins, for me), which I don't get to surf that often but when I do I ride with C-Drive fins and experience incredible drive but will release into round houses harnessing a lot of speed somewhat tight in the pocket for a 7'2, always leave water stoked. I wish I had a scout as well as I would probably ride that a lot more in the reef points that I normally haunt which are less lined up. Can't go wrong ordering with Ryan, cool bro too.
FYI, just listened to Chocky with Late Night podcast with Ryan

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
last fall had one of the best run of waves around here in years...decided to yolo a Rambler from him 6'2" x 21x 2 13/16ths as a new "good wave" board...proceeded to have the worst spring in years, havent even waxed the thing yet. Jinxed it for everyone.

• Sad
Reactions: jkb and oeste858