Ryan Burch Surfboards

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
He is of legend status in these parts.

His clips were heavily downloaded and frothed over worldwide and lots of people idolize him.

I'm not interested in trying one, I can get two boards for the price he charges and not worry about a year long wait time.

I have no idea if his boards are any good.

I was simply commenting that he is the marketing, that's why he was able to charge boutique prices right out the gate and had a lengthy wait time straight away.

Other shapers making incredible boards do not have this sort of celebrity status. They shape thousands of boards before they even begin to make a name for self.
GG comes to mind.
It's like the line from Rocky..."I could have been a contender!"

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014

His clips were heavily downloaded and frothed over worldwide and lots of people idolize him.

I'm not interested in trying one, I can get two boards for the price he charges and not worry about a year long wait time.

I was simply commenting that he is the marketing, that's why he was able to charge boutique prices right out the gate and had a lengthy wait time straight away.

Other shapers making incredible boards do not have this sort of celebrity status. They shape thousands of boards before they even begin to make a name for self.
Yeah, so I guess my point is that it's not just "Marketing FTW". He makes great boards that are unique and fully functional, and he proves the concept by shredding in the occasional edit, getting great word-of-mouth reviews, having other shapers chase after his boards and proving his skills by winning the Boardroom Shape Off multiple times. You don't have to be old to be good at shaping boards.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Yeah, so I guess my point is that it's not just "Marketing FTW". He makes great boards that are unique and fully functional, and he proves the concept by shredding in the occasional edit, getting great word-of-mouth reviews, having other shapers chase after his boards and proving his skills by winning the Boardroom Shape Off multiple times. You don't have to be old to be good at shaping boards.
Well put. I hope to find a used board that fits my (admittedly average) abilities to try out some day.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

Marketing is defined as the act of advertising or promoting a product. I think it can be safely said that ALL shapers market their own products. Talking about a board or riding a board could easily be considered marketing.

Having said that, I personally think the popularity of Ryan's boards are due to the allure of how strange they look. I think they challenge a persons curiosity. Especially due to the "buzz" around his boards and of course seeing him ride them so well.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That may pique people’s curiosity at first, but if the boars didn’t surf better than most, people wouldn’t pay the premium price and wait a year for a custom order. I’m sure you can appreciate that as a Tomo superfan. Not everyone is gonna love any shaper’s boars… but I’ve heard nothing but positive feedback from guys who have ridden Burch’s boars. In fact, most get hooked and start ordering more.

I would love to try one

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Footage already exists.

He was riding one in that DHD twin fin vid where Mick said he brought the board to DH to figure out why it worked so good.
I just assumed he was going to be a partner in the Aussie licensing of Burch Boards

• Wow
Reactions: ReForest