Ryan Burch Surfboards

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Beauties!

Too early to give a comparison between the parallelogram and the picklefork?
Had my second surf on the Parallelogram this morning at the same spot. Stiff off-shore, head-high peaks, super fun. When I look at the board I feel like it should make me spin around in circles, but in reality, it just tightens up my turns and rarely catches. Sometimes on the Picklefork I would get stuck doing a turn if the nose caught, but that hasn't been a case with this one. I don't think that's a fault of the Picklefork, but more of a comment on my skills. So my initial impression is that the Parallelogram is an easier board to surf than the Pickle, but still has that down the line speed and flow. Super stoked on it and hoping to try the midlength this afternoon at a cruiser wave...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Surfed the 7'5 Halibut single fin the last two days. One afternoon at a cruisy left-hand point and then this morning at a B-grade Trestles-like wave. Super fun! So glidey and cruisy, but can turn on a dime. Made me feel like I was cheating. There were a couple of kooks sitting wide on the point with Go-Pros in their mouths, and I had to tell myself to let a couple go through. Such a fun board! Super stoked on both of these.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I saw him get a couple. Can't remember exactly where, and not sure if this is the wave, but found this clip:

I saw one clip when he was pretty deep and you could see the pickle fork on the nose.

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Is that some weird 70's wide point forward, straight pin throwback? Or did they photograph the board on it's nose? If so, why would they do that? :shrug:
It's photographed on its nose.

I have no idea why he chose to shoot this particular board this way.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
He is the marketing.

That's why he had a 6 month wait time and premium pricing out the gate.

If he was one of 1000s of other shapers no one would give a sh!t.
His videos and edits are pretty sporadic. He surfs amazing, but I think it comes down to word-of-mouth from people who have tried his boards. Have you tried one? They look super complicated and gimmicky, but they are simple to surf and totally functional. They make me surf better, which is all I can ask for in a surfboard...

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
His videos and edits are pretty sporadic. He surfs amazing, but I think it comes down to word-of-mouth from people who have tried his boards. Have you tried one? They look super complicated and gimmicky, but they are simple to surf and totally functional. They make me surf better, which is all I can ask for in a surfboard...
He is of legend status in these parts.

His clips were heavily downloaded and frothed over worldwide and lots of people idolize him.

I'm not interested in trying one, I can get two boards for the price he charges and not worry about a year long wait time.

I have no idea if his boards are any good.

I was simply commenting that he is the marketing, that's why he was able to charge boutique prices right out the gate and had a lengthy wait time straight away.

Other shapers making incredible boards do not have this sort of celebrity status. They shape thousands of boards before they even begin to make a name for self.

Reactions: need 4 speed

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I guess it was more directed to caramel sea. Why is the quality of product bad? Personal experience?

Maurice cole was asked who he could have a board shaped from (anyone in the world) and he said ryan burch. I guess he was caught up in the marketing too.