Ryan Burch Surfboards

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Had some motion since yesterday: The shipping company (MapCargo) have admitted it's their mistake. They say my real boards are actually in Taiwan at the airport! I've asked that to compensate for the shitshow they should waive the shipping fee. It really has been an utter nightmare and we've had to change our vacation plans again now...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Good luck. Anyone who has done int’l shipping knows the emotional roller coaster it can be, especially when doing it LCL.

hopefully you’re only a high speed train ride away. any clue if the boars they sent you belong to tk_chas? Lol.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Haha! No idea, but that guy is the biggest kook and poser, so I hope he's cut off from adding to his collection!

Yeah, not a fun experience, but hopefully worth it in the end...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
No response from Scott (Ryan's Patrick), but Will from Chemistry Surfboards (who handled the packing and shipping) backed me up in the email chain and requested MapCargo to compensate me. This duly arrived after some case-stating, so now my shipping and customs fees have been waived which is a real score - works out at around US$500. The boards won't be released until Tuesday morning, so I miss scoring the first 4 days of the swell at the spot I was going to, but it's a silver lining to the shitshow.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
No response from Scott (Ryan's Patrick), but Will from Chemistry Surfboards (who handled the packing and shipping) backed me up in the email chain and requested MapCargo to compensate me. This duly arrived after some case-stating, so now my shipping and customs fees have been waived which is a real score - works out at around US$500. The boards won't be released until Tuesday morning, so I miss scoring the first 4 days of the swell at the spot I was going to, but it's a silver lining to the shitshow.
Time to start traveling to pickup your boards instead of relying on surfers to ship your product.

• Haha
Reactions: Goodfish

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
It looks like Scott works at Surf Ranch now, so probably busy pushing in bazillionaires while Burch catches up with production

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
If you would have ordered a 5'8 GMM2 from XTR in January, you'd probably be surfing it by now.

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
I’m glad you’re at least getting help from the guys that handled the shipping. Still think a response from the actual shaper/owner would be warranted, but what do I know.

I guess once you’re that “busy” you’re above it all. I think back to dealing with guys like Andreini who also had other full time, legitimate businesses to run, and never heard of this kind of noncommittal attitude. Amazes me they stay in business.

I really hope you get your boards sorted. Look forward to seeing them posted up!

Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Week 2. Still a sh!t show. Having to make multiple trips to the post office to send stupid photocopies of bits of paper with my signature on to right the wrongs made by MapCargo. They didn't think to get sh!t done over the weekend to expedite the process, so still stuck in purgatory. Can't be bothered waiting around any more and missing good waves and good times with friends. Told the logistics company to deliver them to my friend's house at the surf spot I'm going to. Probably turn up in fifty-seven pieces but I'm over spending more time and energy on this bullshit.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Almost a year in the waiting and almost 3 weeks in customs/shipping purgatory, my boards finally arrived! Here are some pics of the 5'10 Parallelogram and 7'5 Halibut, both for a regular foot:

IMG_8330.jpg
IMG_8329.jpg
IMG_8333.jpg
IMG_8334.jpg

Both arrived in perfect condition. Took the Parallelogram out for it's maiden voyage on New Year's Day at a super fun punchy rivermouth. Was enjoying the speed, flow and responsiveness, but the off-center nose weirded me out a bit. About an hour or so into the session, I jumped out at the end of a wave, the leash went tense and then the tail sprang back and stabbed me in the leg. Not a big wound, but it was a little deep so been out of the water since then. Cleaned it up and gonna super glue it tomorrow, so I get a couple more during the last few days of my trip. Yew?

Last edited:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Those boards look amazing. Right on :shaka:

Not sure I would want to wait a year for a board(s) - and also considering the high price tag of said sticks.

It's interesting how these younger guys like Burch, Knost, Tyler Warren and Robin Kegel can get away with charging so much with so few boards shaped in their collective careers.

My shaper is 70 and is sheepish and almost apologetic when my customs approach 1K and take a few months to get.