Ryan Burch Surfboards

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I'm really lucky with board orders...

Placed my ordered for a 7'5 hipster asym midlength and a 5'10 Parallelogram in January. Was told it would be around 6 months. Checked-in around the 7 months mark. Received a reply on the 8 months mark. Told my blanks were sitting outside Ryan's shaping room...

Waited 6 weeks. Checked-in. Was told that one of the boards (midlength) was done. Just waiting on the other because of a few issues with setting up the new glassing shop. No worries, I said. I can be patient...

Got a glorious email on November 10 with photos of my finished epic-looking boards. Stoked. November 23, told they were all packed up and waiting to be boxed. Will be done ASAP...

December 8, boards have been picked up by the shipping company (MapCargo), received Bill of Landing. December 8, my girlfriend is contacted by logistics company. Asked to find a customs clearance company to deal with process. New experience as previously MapCargo arranged this, I just had to pay and pick up. Oh, well...

Then the nightmare begins...

My girlfriend and I have spent the whole week trying to get the shipment through customs. We have sent pages of emails, made phone calls, drawn pictures (of what two boxed surfboards look like), searched Google for examples of what it would look like, and it has taken hours of our working week. At first, I just thought it was customs being retards because someone once said "You live in the worst place in the world to ship boards to!". They kept telling us there are 4 boards in the box, but the bill of landing only states that there are 2. I was sure they were counting the packaging the fins were in as 'surfboards'. Just stupid customs crap. I drew pictures and diagrams of what it would look like. I emailed Scott asking for invoices, photos, anything to help. I emailed MapCargo in the US, their reps here, the customs clearance company, everyone in the whole bloody world! All to no avail. And then they opened the box...

Four surfboards. Not mine. No idea whose they are or who they are made by. The Bill of Landing number on the doc I received is the same as the number on the box, but somewhere along the line my sticker for my lovely boards has been placed on the wrong box! WHERE ARE MY BOARDS THAT I'VE BEEN WAITING ALMOST A YEAR FOR!?!?! Also, because the bill of landing states two surfboards, but the box contains 4 surfboards, they are not allowed to pass through customs!

Today is Day 4 of this mess, and I have no idea where my boards are in the whole entire world. No one has come up with a solution yet, and I was due to go on a Xmas vacation surf trip tomorrow...sad.

If any of you lot see a 7'5 asym and 5'10 Parralelogram with nice blue and grey swirls on them, don't touch them. They are mine. Return to sender and let them come to daddy...

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I heard Gary McNeill has them. But don't worry...he's getting them shipped over to you soon. :eek:
Sorry for your loss...hopefully you can track them down.
Likely the guy waiting on the 4 boards will get them. Imagine when he opens the box and finds a wonky arse funboard and an even weirder arse shorty...he'll be straight on the horn to the shipping company trying to track down his 4 boards.

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
sorry wont help with this shitshow but next time have dolly mancarella in san diego handle your shipping logistics

@dollymancarella

Reactions: Goodfish

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I guess return to shipper is best here. Hopefully yours get returned as well.

a shipping broker with good local customs agents is worth their weight in gold.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm really lucky with board orders...

Placed my ordered for a 7'5 hipster asym midlength and a 5'10 Parallelogram in January. Was told it would be around 6 months. Checked-in around the 7 months mark. Received a reply on the 8 months mark. Told my blanks were sitting outside Ryan's shaping room...

Waited 6 weeks. Checked-in. Was told that one of the boards (midlength) was done. Just waiting on the other because of a few issues with setting up the new glassing shop. No worries, I said. I can be patient...

Got a glorious email on November 10 with photos of my finished epic-looking boards. Stoked. November 23, told they were all packed up and waiting to be boxed. Will be done ASAP...

December 8, boards have been picked up by the shipping company (MapCargo), received Bill of Landing. December 8, my girlfriend is contacted by logistics company. Asked to find a customs clearance company to deal with process. New experience as previously MapCargo arranged this, I just had to pay and pick up. Oh, well...

Then the nightmare begins...

My girlfriend and I have spent the whole week trying to get the shipment through customs. We have sent pages of emails, made phone calls, drawn pictures (of what two boxed surfboards look like), searched Google for examples of what it would look like, and it has taken hours of our working week. At first, I just thought it was customs being retards because someone once said "You live in the worst place in the world to ship boards to!". They kept telling us there are 4 boards in the box, but the bill of landing only states that there are 2. I was sure they were counting the packaging the fins were in as 'surfboards'. Just stupid customs crap. I drew pictures and diagrams of what it would look like. I emailed Scott asking for invoices, photos, anything to help. I emailed MapCargo in the US, their reps here, the customs clearance company, everyone in the whole bloody world! All to no avail. And then they opened the box...

Four surfboards. Not mine. No idea whose they are or who they are made by. The Bill of Landing number on the doc I received is the same as the number on the box, but somewhere along the line my sticker for my lovely boards has been placed on the wrong box! WHERE ARE MY BOARDS THAT I'VE BEEN WAITING ALMOST A YEAR FOR!?!?! Also, because the bill of landing states two surfboards, but the box contains 4 surfboards, they are not allowed to pass through customs!

Today is Day 4 of this mess, and I have no idea where my boards are in the whole entire world. No one has come up with a solution yet, and I was due to go on a Xmas vacation surf trip tomorrow...sad.

If any of you lot see a 7'5 asym and 5'10 Parralelogram with nice blue and grey swirls on them, don't touch them. They are mine. Return to sender and let them come to daddy...
dude that is brutal. sorry man

• Sad
Reactions: Goodfish

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
WHERE ARE MY BOARDS THAT I'VE BEEN WAITING ALMOST A YEAR FOR!?!?!

one word …… Refund.

no, make that two words FULL REFUND

a year? F that. As a (former) custom builder, that’s ridiculous. There should have been insurance on the box, if not Ryan’s loss.

At a minimum, he should refund the total amount and offer to make new boards, at a discount and expedite the shipping personally.

but then, I guess that would take another year….