Ryan Burch Surfboards

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Just got my grubby little hands on this thing. It feels really nice. Lighter than I was anticipating.

Here's what the fins look like. All flat foiled, which I'm relieved. I was worried the rear fin might have the dreaded 70/30 foil or even worse, 50/50.

How's it go, jkb? Mine were done last week. Scott sent me pics to tease me, then said he'll send them out in 2 weeks when he gets back from his Japan trip...

• Wow
Reactions: Aruka

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
damn son, you can't catch a break!
Tell me about it. I even replied with 5 crying emoji faces...

Also, Cathay Pacific smashed my Vader to bits in the summer. However, they did pay up the full price to put me on a bonus trip to Sumatra...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
How's it go, jkb? Mine were done last week. Scott sent me pics to tease me, then said he'll send them out in 2 weeks when he gets back from his Japan trip...
Damn Goodfish. This is on the verge of torture.

My board goes really good......I love it! The rocker fits pretty nicely in the all-arounder category. It can handle waist high waves up to 1.5x overhead. It needs a little push to go.........so I wouldn't say that it grovels, but it definitely doesn't need a lot of power. It will get through flat spots pretty easily with the speed it can generate.

While it does fine in beachbreak conditions, I prefer it on a more down the line wave where you can fit some turns in. The pivot is unreal and there is a small learning curve in controlling it. You can kind of equate it to learning how to ride a Tomo MPH properly. It would be easy to overpower the board if you're really heavy-footed on it, but if you add some speed to your turns, you can start pushing harder and maintain your projection while pivoting tighter. It's a really addicting feeling!

Last edited:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
After 6 months of waiting finally got these beauties home on Wednesday night....
IMG_4741.jpgIMG_4744.jpgIMG_4757.jpgIMG_4758.jpg

5'4 Squit Fish. Feels girthy with a solid weight. Fair bit of volume, but feels absolutely amazing under arm. Didn't know I was getting glass-on fins, but they blow my mind. On the right is the 5'11 Asym Picklefork. I thought the balance would be weird under arm, but it's weighted perfectly. Can't get over how insane the fins are!

The construction feels incredible. Really solid with a good weight to both boards. Superwolf's coloured-resin work and glassing is next level. So, so, so, sooooo stoked!

Disclaimer: I'll probably surf them like a kook.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Even if you surf them like a kook they will still look good

Looking forward to your ride reports , every person I know likes there Burth's

I rode a toe model and it was exceptional

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Those boards are gorgeous Goodfish!

Glad they showed up unscathed and that you're stocked with them. That color work is rad! Those blues!

The lack of edge along the rails in the ass end of the Squit is a trip (maybe that's normal for a "traditional" keel, but I've never noticed?).

Really looking forward to your ride reports.

Now the real question is.......which one will you ride first?

Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Yeah, beyond stoked with how they turned out. They seriously feel and look insane!

The weekend is setting up perfectly for some test runs - tomorrow on the asym at a right-breaking reef. Should be about head high and a bit. Then, Sunday should be Squit territory at a right-breaking river mouth/sandbar that gets long, but a bit fat with good winds in the shoulder-high range. Reports to come...Stoked and excited, but a bit nervous.

EDIT: Just felt up the ass-end rails on my squit. Felt some sharpish edge on this one. The rails soft until about 4" from the where the keel fins start.

Reactions: jkb

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
After 6 months of waiting finally got these beauties home on Wednesday night....
View attachment 82357View attachment 82358View attachment 82359View attachment 82360

5'4 Squit Fish. Feels girthy with a solid weight. Fair bit of volume, but feels absolutely amazing under arm. Didn't know I was getting glass-on fins, but they blow my mind. On the right is the 5'11 Asym Picklefork. I thought the balance would be weird under arm, but it's weighted perfectly. Can't get over how insane the fins are!

The construction feels incredible. Really solid with a good weight to both boards. Superwolf's coloured-resin work and glassing is next level. So, so, so, sooooo stoked!

Disclaimer: I'll probably surf them like a kook.
Wowowow!!!!

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Had my first session on the Picklefork today at my local. I'm trying not to overdo it, but it honestly blew my mind. So fast, smooth and...buttery. The spot is a righthand reef that has a double-up step on take-off, then a wall, a fat section for cutting back, and then walls up again. On my Hydroshort I usually lose a lot of speed when I release the cutback on the fat section and sometimes blow the rest of the wave. On the Picklefork I could really feel the smooth, rounder, shorter rail line on my heel side, and when I released the carve it just sprang back with loads of speed! I'm guessing the fins had something to do with that, but don't quote me on it. Either way, it was so much fun and I'm super stoked. Already considering what to order next: a step-up twin or a Parallelogram. With a Cuttle Fish thrown in too...hehe!

Dorado

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 25, 2007
I found my squits I’d had super sensitive to feet placement , more so then a lot of fish . In good waves with a wall and some push of you got your feet right could pretty much push them through any kind of turn you could do to your ability . If your feet are not right a very frustrating experience . Beautiful under arm and to look at but unless you surf solid waves with long lines and good pockets of power I’ve found a lot of other fish that are much more enjoyable to ride . Steez factor aside there plenty of other fish in the sea . That being said I’ve played around with a few and had some insane rides on my squits I’ve had but overall for where I live and surf it’s not the best varietal of pescado .

Reactions: Goodfish

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Had my first session on the Picklefork today at my local. I'm trying not to overdo it, but it honestly blew my mind. So fast, smooth and...buttery. The spot is a righthand reef that has a double-up step on take-off, then a wall, a fat section for cutting back, and then walls up again. On my Hydroshort I usually lose a lot of speed when I release the cutback on the fat section and sometimes blow the rest of the wave. On the Picklefork I could really feel the smooth, rounder, shorter rail line on my heel side, and when I released the carve it just sprang back with loads of speed! I'm guessing the fins had something to do with that, but don't quote me on it. Either way, it was so much fun and I'm super stoked. Already considering what to order next: a step-up twin or a Parallelogram. With a Cuttle Fish thrown in too...hehe!
Rad :shaka:

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I found my squits I’d had super sensitive to feet placement , more so then a lot of fish . In good waves with a wall and some push of you got your feet right could pretty much push them through any kind of turn you could do to your ability . If your feet are not right a very frustrating experience . Beautiful under arm and to look at but unless you surf solid waves with long lines and good pockets of power I’ve found a lot of other fish that are much more enjoyable to ride . Steez factor aside there plenty of other fish in the sea . That being said I’ve played around with a few and had some insane rides on my squits I’ve had but overall for where I live and surf it’s not the best varietal of pescado .
Had my first session on the Squit today, and I hear what you're saying. It wasn't the right conditions for it (dumpy beach break), but it definitely felt like a board that's gonna take some time to work out in comparison to the instant stoke I got from the Picklefork. That's all good as there were a couple of moments that gave me a feeling for the potential of it. I mainly got it for a few point breaks around here, so I'm hoping to try it in more optimum conditions over the course of the winter. The feet placement thing is very similar to the Tomo MPHs I've had; if you're on the spot, they're laser beams. Otherwise you're in kook city...

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That idea that a board is "gonna take some time to work out" can be a dangerous time suck. haha. I've wasted so many sessions trying to force it. Now I usually give a board 4-5 sessions and if it hasn't clicked consistently by then, it's not for me. Good luck though. Hope you get it in the right waves and it turns on.
Great feedback on the Picklefork. I see a couple guys ripping on them in good waves here. I'm really asym-curious. The concept seems sensible to me: I've been riding twins a lot and it's crazy how much I have to baby my backside turns on them. I almost pulled the trigger on a used Lovelace Soopersnake asym in the summer, but it seemed a touch small for me.
Also, interested in the Cuttlefish for the spots I usually surf.

Reactions: Goodfish and jkb

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Had a few more sessions on my boards now...

First things first, the asym is the best board I've ever ridden. Everyone who sees it trips out and has an opinion about how complicated it must be, but it's actually the smoothest and most intuitive board I've ever had. It's so precise in terms of what I want the board to do and how the board reacts. It makes surfing easier and even more fun. Last weekend, I had it out at a pretty heavy ledge that pops-up out of deep water that was pushing DOH on the sets and barrelling. The shore break is pretty heavy with some big ol' boulders knocking about, so I was a bit worried about what paddle out could do to my pretty board. Managed to get out back dry-hair somehow, and then just had so much fun! The board scooped so well on the steep drops, and you could really feel how the nose's shovel-channel created lift to prevent the pickle fork from getting stuck in the face. Then, it was just so smooth and fast on the walls. Even managed to make it out of a few full cover-up barrels which is rare for me. So stoked, I love this thing.

Also had a few sessions with the Squit at one of the pointbreaks that walls up on take-off, has a fat section or two, then gets sucky on the inside. It was a blast! The take-offs are steep, so getting my feet in the right position on the little 5'4 was critical, but after that it absolutely flies through the flat sections. Sometimes it was almost too fast as I was really having to work hard to reel in the speed for a cutback. It also held well in the sucky inside section, so I think it's quite a lot of versatility as long as the waves are lined up. Not a dumpy beach break board, that's for sure.

My only worry now is that I need to get the fins for the asym copied as most of my winter is spent at reefs and cobblestone river mouths that always take their toll. Anyway, I love the boards and I'm already considering my next order - ether a Parrallelogram or a double-fork asym twin fin. Plus a Cuttlefish, for sure.

I'd say to anyone considering getting one, just do it. These boards are sooooooooo good.