Ryan Burch Surfboards

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
Got a new nose channel on my Pickle:
View attachment 116462

Wasn't even a Freedom leash! Happened after pulling into a drainer, then had to dive under the next one. Can't imagine there are many boards that get a nose ding like this, so there is that. Waves were firing, so I just carried on. Feels a bit heavier now...

One of the best days at this spot for a couple of years. Little bit like Keramas. Solid typhoon swell with a good period and offshores:
View attachment 116463

Got a Parallelogram arriving soon. Anyone compared the two?

once i saw a guy who had done this at blacks, on a normal looking board, the leash had pulled thru about 5 feet of his board, starting at the nose

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
I think MOTE has stopped taking ordered over here. Spoke to a guy in the water who ordered one in January this year and hasn't heard a peep...How you YOLO when shaper won't play?

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
Got a new nose channel on my Pickle:
View attachment 116462

Wasn't even a Freedom leash! Happened after pulling into a drainer, then had to dive under the next one. Can't imagine there are many boards that get a nose ding like this, so there is that. Waves were firing, so I just carried on. Feels a bit heavier now...

One of the best days at this spot for a couple of years. Little bit like Keramas. Solid typhoon swell with a good period and offshores:
View attachment 116463

Got a Parallelogram arriving soon. Anyone compared the two?
same here, what's the difference between the parallelogram and the pickleforks? Are they the same thing? I commented on Scott's instagram a bit ago and he said pickleforks are for + waves...I wonder what the Burch everyday board equivalent is...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
same here, what's the difference between the parallelogram and the pickleforks? Are they the same thing? I commented on Scott's instagram a bit ago and he said pickleforks are for + waves...I wonder what the Burch everyday board equivalent is...
I was told the parallelogram had more of a step down style rocker.

Picklefork was more hpsb.

Reactions: RattimusBeach

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Do we not have any dudes in the erbb who have surfed a Parallelogram? If mine arrives in 2033, am I still gonna be the first?

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I was told the parallelogram had more of a step down style rocker.

Picklefork was more hpsb.
my buddy in NCSD who has a quiver of Ryan‘s board said the parallelogram is very high performance and he doesn’t ride it that much being a hipster who mostly surfs mush. It looks and feels money though

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
when I saw him a few weeks back in small soft reef waves he was on something that was a cross between between a fish and mini simmons. I thought he was finless because he was doing 360s at will. I asked him and he flipped the board over it was mini (shallow) glass on keels. sorry I dont know his models so that is my best description.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Don't go the GM route! EVER!

Thanks for the insight, @urchined. I guess I'll just peace out, oil my beard and do some fire dancing until then...

By the way, the Cuttle Fish I got from Ryan goes absolutely insane now that I've worked it out. Still love my Squit, but the Cuttle can really fly and turns almost like a shortboard. The only thing I don't like about it is the yellow spots in the paint job.
Tangential but reminds me of a joke.
It's an oldy but a goody!
"I heard there was a fire and grandfather (insert Goodfish's name here:.........) got badly burned."
"Really, how bad?"
"Well, they don't fuck around out at the crematorium."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Goodfish

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
my buddy in NCSD who has a quiver of Ryan‘s board said the parallelogram is very high performance and he doesn’t ride it that much being a hipster who mostly surfs mush. It looks and feels money though
I just went through my emails and I was mistaken.

Parallelogram is not a step down. More of a hpsb rocker like JDJ said.

My picklefork is supposed to be the parallelogram rocker with a fork nose.

The forked twins are more of a step up rocker.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
The 6’2 forked twin I have is a sick step up. I was worried about it holding in steep barrelling waves, but the rails are sharp and it holds really good. Can also lay a turn on it too. The 5’10 asym pickled fork I have is great in clean waves around head high and has probably a tighter turning radius because of the asym tail, but I’ve found the turns I can do on the 6’2 are better, but this might be because I only surf it in more powerful waves over head high.

The Squit is dreamy twin that I think everyone would love, but the Cuttle is really versatile and has a higher performance level. When my 5’10 is in for ding repairs, I have no problem using the Cuttle in the same waves. It also has a nice lot of volume so it can pop into waves without much effort when you sink the tail on takeoff. The 5’11 is pretty thin and narrow so requires a bit more effort.

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
The 6’2 forked twin I have is a sick step up. I was worried about it holding in steep barrelling waves, but the rails are sharp and it holds really good. Can also lay a turn on it too. The 5’10 asym pickled fork I have is great in clean waves around head high and has probably a tighter turning radius because of the asym tail, but I’ve found the turns I can do on the 6’2 are better, but this might be because I only surf it in more powerful waves over head high.

The Squit is dreamy twin that I think everyone would love, but the Cuttle is really versatile and has a higher performance level. When my 5’10 is in for ding repairs, I have no problem using the Cuttle in the same waves. It also has a nice lot of volume so it can pop into waves without much effort when you sink the tail on takeoff. The 5’11 is pretty thin and narrow so requires a bit more effort.
squit and cuttle fish the best 1-2 combo for socal slop under head high?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've only surfed there a couple of times and neither time was on a Burch. However, the Squit works well in small, fast dumpy beach breaks. I usually keep the Cuttle for waves that have a bit of chop or need a bit of extra length for paddle power.