Rusty's talk to your shaper Live Instagram series

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Broadcast throughout the pandemic. I didn't know it was happening and missed it all, but discovered all 20 episodes uploaded to youtube
I stumbled across them a few days ago, most episodes 50 minutes+. I have listened to them all in full. With holiday time on my hands, this made a great christmas present.

For anyone who plays around with the shaping software at hobbyist level its great to listen to. Rusty talks actual numbers that the software spits out such as thickness at stringer 12" up from tail, 12" down from nose. Ratios for a balanced foil and many more design principles. Distance of fin trailing edge from rail is not going to interest everyone, but he does cover more broad design theory, such as when to use channels, when to use concave, when to use V.

Of more general interest would be his answers to listeners questions such as how did he get into shaping, history of R dot. I really enjoyed (and agree with) his take on volume, which some might find controversial. This forum would be too advanced for advice on say what board does he recommend for a beginner in the Gulf coast. Rusty either repeats himself or I am getting old and accidentally re-playing the same episodes - probably a bit of both :D but I didn't care and listened to it all - that's many hours of happy listening :love:

First episode here

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
freeride, there is nothing to watch. I just put my headphones on and walked away from the puter to listen. Answer to your question: When getting a custom board, there are far more meaningful things to talk to your shaper about and get adjusted instead of volume e.g. tail rocker.

Reactions: flyinraptr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Rode a new to me Rusty with about 2L more than I thought I would ever want. loved every bit of it and didn’t find that it hindered my turns in any way.

comparing my 6’3 blackbird at 29.5L against my 6’2 which is 31.5 (stock dims).

for that shape, adding volume is just fine. he made fun of me when I was back and forth over half a liter. now I get it...

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Rode a new to me Rusty with about 2L more than I thought I would ever want. loved every bit of it and didn’t find that it hindered my turns in any way.

comparing my 6’3 blackbird at 29.5L against my 6’2 which is 31.5 (stock dims).

for that shape, adding volume is just fine. he made fun of me when I was back and forth over half a liter. now I get it...
How are those sized relative to your usual shortboards?

I've been toying with the idea of ordering an R.BB. I probably won't since it would be spring before I would actually get it, but it's fun to think about.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
How are those sized relative to your usual shortboards?

I've been toying with the idea of ordering an R.BB. I probably won't since it would be spring before I would actually get it, but it's fun to think about.
SD daily driver is a stamps gx, 5’10@28.5L.

Also have a couple stamps @ 6’1 and 6’3 at 28.7L and 29.5L, respectively.

Reactions: ehiunno

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
a lot of intermediate surfers ride less volume than they should
(my take on his comment)
Yes, there is that, he says don't be afraid to go over the volume charts particularly when older. Even his relatively young son rides a broad range of volumes.

However the big message I get (which is a recurring theme throughout the series) is that there is too much fixation on volume. On both the number value and its effect on surfboard performance. He says it takes a pro tour rider to notice a 0.5 litre in difference - sdsrfr, he had a customer quibble over half a litre so don't feel bad :D

He is also encouraging the customer to think about other aspects of board design e.g if someone wants a more sensitive blackbird, try dropping 1/4" of width instead of asking for less volume.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@Mr J as usual I agree with you
I kind of feel boards of a particular size, has a volume range you can make them( you really can't match your groveler and step up volume #)
but at some point you have to let that volume number increase or the rails tend to become a bit to bladed
I agree with not fixating on too much, the more I do the better I understand my own range

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I find thickness more of a factor in influencing the sensitivity of a board then width.
So is that a mild drop in thickness at with proportional rail thickness drop makes for a bigger increase in sensitivity than a mild drop in width? In which case I would be inclined to agree with you.

Or do you mean rails the same but drop in thickness at stringer only (flatter deck) makes for a bigger increase in sensitivity? In which case I would be of the opposite opinion.

Rusty did say something like the "key to volume is thickness", so I suppose we can use the two interchangeably.