Rusty - The Keg

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Does it come with a Hotline wetsuit?

The Aus and HAwaii boards always look like too much rocker for me.
Then again my friend shreds a 6'3" proton in waist high gulf coast surf so maybe I just need to man up and do squats and eradicate my inner liberal soi boi style :beer:

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
well there goes some disappointing truth
I have a different opinion, I think you will be able to ride it. Thanks to Rusty's Instagram live series we now have some actual numbers on rocker. In episode 20 Rusty quoted 5 1/4" nose and 2 1/2" tail for Wade's personal 6'.

Although Rusty described that amount as "bent" I used to ride an oversize 6' 3" Bushman Pancho Sullivan model with 5 1/2" of nose and a whopping 2 7/8" of tail rocker. It used to work well as a step up for me and I could get it to go in small waves too - the extra planing area would keep me sailing along. So if I could use the Bushman, you will easily be able to manage the Keg, plus Rusty said he de-tuned the rocker for the general public version anyway.

If you like the idea of a wide tail block which should help keep you going despite the extra rocker and a board that should encourage you to work on your rail game, then I think you should take a chance and buy it and tell us what it is like :D

Rusty did say it also came fitted with a deep concave though. I don't know what that would do. The Pancho Sullivan came equipped with a wide tail block, but shallow concave. I personally don't favour wide tail blocks because in big steep drops my rear foot seems to place itself offset with my toes almost hanging off the edge of the rail - but this is just me on an oversize board - a more normally proportioned board might not be an issue for you

tonyB

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 25, 2014
San Diego
Alright guys, I got one 2 weeks ago and tested it on slow point breaks in Mexico, fast and slow beach breaks 2 to 5 feet in Mexico and SD.
Me 5'8 150lbs, advanced level.
Usually surf around 25 liters in everything. Have a Mi Amigo 5'8 18.36 2.25 (works great for me everywhere), a OG Flyer 5'7 18.5 2.25 (the hip bump weirds me out at high speed, only works well for me in weak waves).

I ordered the Keg at 5'8 18.55 2.30, that's 26.3 liters which is a lot - I followed Rusty advice there - the board looks bulky, it doesn't look great, the volume is carried far up the nose and into the rails.
Concave is deep, very deep in my view, rails are also way thicker than my usual but not round, I tend to hate thick rails.
The rocker is medium, nothing crazy, I would say it feels on the lower side overall.
The nose is narrower than usual hpsb but still carries volume.

Tested with Mayhem futures then AM2 -> way better.

Verdict: This is not a good board for intermediate surfers, this is a great board for strong back-foot, heavy pushers, not light-footed chicken-legged teens, this is the first time I have more volume and thicker rails without experiencing any limitation like not being able to go as vertical or rails disengaging at high speed.
The wider tail/ narrower nose can feel weird at first specially in hollow waves when you make the drop. But once you adjust, it has an amazing drive and the projection you get off the tail out of turns is definitely superior to any other hpsb model I have tested.

I have pushed through bottom turns and top turns with all my weight at high speed but the board just kept behaving perfectly and pushing back at me. Very simple and predictable.

It's better when you have some wall, but when you get it going it's easy to keep your speed.
I have tried CIS, Lost, Sharp Eye, Pyzel... Rusty is the best.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I am absolutely fascinated by this board

Wide, thick tail, full rails, deep single concave. Everything in the description of the Keg screams groveler to me like all that volume in the back would get overpowered easily, and yet this is a board for pushing incredibly hard through turns in good waves.

It's the exact opposite of what is trendy in hpsb design right now which I think of as bladed out tails, low rails, lower entry/higher exit and slightly forward volume (pyzel shadow, ci happy, etc)

Clearly, I don't actually understand anything about what makes surfboards work

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It's the exact opposite of what is trendy in hpsb design right now which I think of as bladed out tails, low rails, lower entry/higher exit and slightly forward volume (pyzel shadow, ci happy, etc)

Clearly, I don't actually understand anything about what makes surfboards work
Nice observations. I would hate this board- chicken legs here. I will say the current design trends you mentioned are about as user-friendly in average everyday conditions as I remember HPSBs being since the 80s. I’ve certainly incorporated them in my boards and never felt like I’ve had boards as dialed in for the waves I typically surf. Probably helps I’ve become more pragmatic than aspirational with how I wanna surf. LOL

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I've also given up trying to understand.
After recently hating a new board that by all accounts should have been great and probably is, I'm now OK with surfing a board and either liking it or not, and not try understand the why behind it.
I think the more you try with guidance from your shaper the more you understand.

First trying a few different styles of rockers and then moving on from there.

I'm not saying I understand a lot.

But rocker is a very big part of the equation and I feel after I did this it opened up a whole new way of seeing things and knowing what works for me personally.

If I have a handle on the rocker aspect then I can start thinking about rails, concave, foil, and how they're going to interact. I definitely have a much better idea of how a board is going to surf when I pick it up.

Reactions: waxfoot

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Those Rusty rails are secret sauce. I have a Model 8 and Blackbirds. Boxy with a low apex. Too me it gives both drive and hold. I believe this is a design principle Parmenter took from his time shaping for Rusty.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Those Rusty rails are secret sauce. I have a Model 8 and Blackbirds. Boxy with a low apex. Too me it gives both drive and hold. I believe this is a design principle Parmenter took from his time shaping for Rusty.
Rusty appears to exercise tight control over the rail apex. In one of his instagram live "talk to your shaper" broadcasts he said that for expert level surfers he keeps rail apex height between 0.60 and 0.65" that's a range that spans less than 1/16", in contrast he considered a board width adjustment custom request of an 1/8" a pointless request. He says he keeps apex low for sensitivity i.e quick response to what he calls "setting a rail" - burying/releasing a rail I think he means by that.

He said much below 0.60" and the board gets too sensitive - unforgiving I think he means by that. When I listened to that podcast I brought up my annual build in shape3d to see what I had done (based upon measuring my existing boards with a ruler). It was 0.59" - on the sensitive side, but then I am a little chap and very happy with the way it surfs.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
During the 80z I would have my local shaper Dave Johnson shape me custom with "Occy"rails always boxy tucked under and around front fins rail foil goes sharp.

Reactions: bluengreen

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I took off on a single wave with this board last Friday because my buddy wanted to try my Superbuzz (6'0'', Wade's exact dims). Truth be told, it ended up being a close out... but it caught the wave very easily and felt extremely loose (again, it was a close out... but you can feel some of it, specially compared to my board that feels a bit stiff).

I'm jonesing a little bit, but it's probably not the board I need.