Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Yeah this Board builder is pretty useful but I'm local so I can go check one out at a shop 1st.

Plugged in some numbers and a 5'10 x 19.5 x 2.2 is 29.4 L which is just about what I'd ride. All it takes is the click of a button...

CustomBoard.png

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I went 2.19 on my twin and 2.22 on my Shiv. That slight difference is noticeable and the Shiv feels kind of full in hand but it feels perfect in the water. Surf has been pumping for weeks and I've been riding it a lot and still loving it in all sorts of different conditions. Also had some good sessions on the Twin recently when surfing more protected spots. It has a bit more glide in weak waves but it doesn't let you down when a good set comes through. Been running the NVS Album Twins and they're great for down the line speed but I think it's lost some of it's loose playfulness so I'll go back to more upright sets next sessions for comparison.

Edit to add: I'm 180-185 and wear a 5/4 suit. Usually ride 2 7/16 or 2 1/2" thick. I'm glad I didn't go any thicker on the Twin and Shiv but was considering going a little thicker on a 6-0 Hatchet just for a lil extra volume for small wave shreds. Still prob keep it under 2.25 though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and retodd

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Spicoli and Aruka, how are you sizing the hatchet relative to your height? This black friday deal is very tempting and i find myself absentmindedly fiddling with the board builder.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'm 6'3" and am debating between a 5-11 or 6-0 Hatchet. Haven't ordered it yet, still on the fence. Sizing wise was just thinking somewhere between a fish and a shortboard. Nose and tail widths appear to be narrower than a normal fishy board so I would go a few inches longer than a full on fish. It looks like the type of board that could be squashed down or stretched out a little depending on what you wanted it for. I just want a small wave quad that is a little longer than my stubby fish and grovelers which are like 5-7, 5-8.

Reactions: bigglesworth

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I just want to, again, sing the praises of the Rusty Zeppelin. Just had a great session on it today and man can this board really drive fast down the line: quad set up is great! I got some vid but can't seem to post it...surf shop across the street from the break has a live youtube cam and when you get home you can rewind and with patience you can film some of the waves from your session. But anyway board rocks! 6'4" stock dims
My buddy (6’ 3” 225lbs) has an 8’ Zeppelin for his first legit surfboard. In anything but small dumpy beach break it looks like it’d be so much fun. Plan to ride it soon.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Spicoli and Aruka, how are you sizing the hatchet relative to your height? This black friday deal is very tempting and i find myself absentmindedly fiddling with the board builder.
I'm trusting what the board builder is throwing at me and I'll just say I don't consider myself a surfer with an engineer like mind, I think a lot of guys on this board are well dialed in to the math behind it all and are in the "A.P Class" of board design, I am the class clown in the normal class getting a B maybe...

So close to clicking "Order." The Rooster and Twin Fin that I ordered with the builder seem good to me, just had a fantastic day yesterday on the Rooster, board can handle some late/great drops, one well overhead comes to mind! Stoked!!! Swell is dying but going out catch the end of it and maybe will click order when I get back!

I am 5'7" weigh ~155lbs dry in my early 50's; surfing motivates me to be in really good shape.
-board builder is spitting out: 5'10" x 20.44 x 2.36 = 34.2 liters for the Hatchet.

Which seems good to me surfing in Northern New England calls for thickest wetsuit so a little more volume is okay with me.

And Aruka I have dialed it up with gray spray as well...plus black large pin line and yellow rail gradient...I'm not a neon guy but the mix of gray, black and yellow is sucking me in!

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
-board builder is spitting out: 5'10" x 20.44 x 2.36 = 34.2 liters for the Hatchet.

Which seems good to me surfing in Northern New England calls for thickest wetsuit so a little more volume is okay with me.
Good Higgins beach dims right there

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Me too. I’ve built a 1984 that’s 6’2, 19.25, 2.19, as well as a 5’9, 20.5, 2.20 Hatchet. Both look so good.
I was thinking similar dims in the 1984 but in a 6'1". I'm 6'0". How tall are you, out of curiosity? Does it make sense to go a bit longer on these 80's style thrusters relative to one's height?