Rusty - Shiv, Hatchet, 419Fish

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Alright I did again, I think I may have gotten a little flamboyant with the color scheme, kind of looks different the site of course, but oh well, most importantly it arrived with no damage.

Rusty Barking Spider
Just rode the Barking Spider for the first time in some quality juice in Central America, and some not so good stuff: 10' faces on the great days down to 3'- 4' but strong period swell. This board does it all. Held fabulously on the big days, great confidence, this board just moved to #1 in the quiver. Quad set up with AM2 Tech Flex, wow what drive, control and confidence!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The New Traveler just dropped. It looks great.

"The New Traveler is a step-up with a design that sits between the original Traveler and the Blackbird. The crew was headed to Indo and other places with warm water and hollow waves and were in need of knifey step-up, giving us the New Traveler. It performs great in head high to double overhead in pumping beach break and steep, hollow reefs. The New Traveler has a bit more narrow of a nose with more rocker overall and leaner rails with the wide point just behind center. It features a light single to double concave and a slight rounded vee out the tail in the last few inches to help keep the turns smoother and helps with rail-to-rail transitions. The New Traveler is clean and simple, the way it should be."

Stock dims are lower volume for the length than the Blackbird but I think it's actually a little wider planeshape? Less of an open ocean peak chaser, more of a barrel board?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

"The New Traveler is a step-up with a design that sits between the original Traveler and the Blackbird. The crew was headed to Indo and other places with warm water and hollow waves and were in need of knifey step-up, giving us the New Traveler. It performs great in head high to double overhead in pumping beach break and steep, hollow reefs. The New Traveler has a bit more narrow of a nose with more rocker overall and leaner rails with the wide point just behind center. It features a light single to double concave and a slight rounded vee out the tail in the last few inches to help keep the turns smoother and helps with rail-to-rail transitions. The New Traveler is clean and simple, the way it should be."

Stock dims are lower volume for the length than the Blackbird but I think it's actually a little wider planeshape? Less of an open ocean peak chaser, more of a barrel board?

That does look nice.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Less of an open ocean peak chaser, more of a barrel board?
Yeah, that sounds right. Some friends really here like Slayer as their R. barrel boar. Seems like ghost already fills this spot for many of the erBB… but I don’t even get a chance to use that more than a couple days a year. Spots I surf when OH rarely get #ghostworthy, and then BLackbeard is usually the call
Sigh.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Paging santacruzin for next indo trip:shaka:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I ordered a Model 8. Kinda flat deck. A lot of foam carried through the nose, which is wide for a shorty. Classic Rusty boxy rails. But then a pulled in squash and single to double concave. It's an interesting mix of old and new. I never got it fully dialed in, because I got off HPSBs and have been riding a Hess Traveler in shortboard conditions. To put it simply, I'd say it's a forgiving HPSB. I talked to Rusty about the Yes Thanks and he sent me a file for a 6'3. That one is more of a contemporary HPSB circa 2010. Single concave.

Last edited:

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Just saw a marketing email from R. that they had some stock boards so I took a look and thought hmmmm that board looks familiar...

It's literally my blackbird?! Exactly the same as my order card down to the pink R. logo and it even has my name on it LMAO. I'd feel crazy if I didn't have this sitting on my rack right now

I guess they accidentally made two of them or maybe they just liked the order and wanted a stock one? Funny to know my custom has a twin sister out there!

I've only had one real swell on it (Larry) but if you're curious, it went insane

Edit: PS dont dox me lol
Edit2: It's actually the same serial number, so they must have made a duplicate by accident, funny!

Last edited: