Rusty D Min

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I knew that would be your response despite what board it was (Rusty) but I have to agree
Key words or videos like this regardless of shaper turn me off like fish like template, daily board regardless of size, etc....
I get the target crowd after "adult learner grad from wavestorm or adult learner returning back to surf after break etc. Does not appeal to me but I see the $$$ in it right now.

Reactions: tedshred5

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Looks more like neil diamond meets dwart.

i never knew if the Neil diamond was just a dozer with a diamond tail, however. Dims remind me of a slightly wider dozer.

is it double barrel nose to tail? didnt watch the vids.

Reactions: JDJ

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I was messing around with Rusty's volume calculator and found it interesting that if I kept everything else the same, but changed the age parameter from my actual age of 50 to 32, the recommended volume changed by one liter.

I'm just as fit and surf as well as I did 18 years ago and ride pretty much the same board dimensions, hell, I'm only six months older than Slater!

Rusty is ageist! Well; maybe not, but they did f'up my last custom with them; ageist I say!

Reactions: oeste858 and JDJ

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
I was messing around with Rusty's volume calculator and found it interesting that if I kept everything else the same, but changed the age parameter from my actual age of 50 to 32, the recommended volume changed by one liter.

I'm just as fit and surf as well as I did 18 years ago and ride pretty much the same board dimensions, hell, I'm only six months older than Slater!

Rusty is ageist! Well; maybe not, but they did f'up my last custom with them; ageist I say!
How long ago was that custom order that got mixed up???

Because something is up with the volume calculator, I think it is spitting out #s that are 'off', suddenly it seems they are overvoluming.

I love building boards on the site, best board building tool out there IMO.

About a month ago I noticed liter outputs, on boards I previously built, were now in the lower 40L's vs. the mid/high 30'L's which is my sweet spot.
-so I recreated boards I had purchased, same exact inputs e.g. Hatchet purchased at 34L, definitely in the right volume for me, now with the exact same inputs it's telling me I should be ridding 42.9L.
-I do notice that they removed a couple of questions: Stance & Foot Orientation.

I notified them thinking I was doing a good deed and didn't get the thank you response I though I would, as in my mind I am team Rusty; was told I can change the thickness/width myself; absolutely not my area of expertise e.g width 2.875 vs. 2.52, I don't know shxt when it comes to these specifics, I ain't no engineer type surfer.

So not sure what to make of it, but I went ahead and put an order in for a new board last week, chose stock dims as I am confused since the calculator is +4L above the stock I would personally be reaching for OTR: notified them of the discrepancy in the shaper notes.
-so we'll see what happens when the shaper gets the order sheet and reaches out to me to agree on final dims, which of course I hope is still the standard practice!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
How long ago was that custom order that got mixed up???…
This was five years ago and the issue was a WAY off center (center) fin plug. They made that right, but the remade board felt and rode much different than a early version of the Barking Spider that I brought in to get copied.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
This was five years ago and the issue was a WAY off center (center) fin plug. They made that right, but the remade board felt and rode much different than a early version of the Barking Spider that I brought in to get copied.
Weird. Maybe an urban surf legend, but isn't "impossible" to recreate the same board even if the dims are identical; something I probably heard as a kid and its just stuck, as I contemplate recreating my Zeppelin.

And absolutely love my Barking Spider, so versatile!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Weird. Maybe an urban surf legend, but isn't "impossible" to recreate the same board even if the dims are identical; something I probably heard as a kid and its just stuck, as I contemplate recreating my Zeppelin.

And absolutely love my Barking Spider, so versatile!
Yeah, there are too many variables to expect getting the same board from the same file. I know some shapers keep notes of how many sanding passes etc., even with only one set of hands touching a board, which doesn't happen very often with big labels, unless you're one of their main team guys, there's going to be some very slight variation. A wood stringered blank adds an additional variable that's next to impossible to be exact.

I had brought in two pieces of a Barking Spider prototype than I had bought from a Rusty employee. It was too small for him, but was magic for me until I broke it pretty quickly.

Clint thought he had the early version of the file that'd match what I brought in, since the current model had a noticeably different outline. The boards I received looked more like the current iterations, but I was up for giving it a go after they made a second one due to a glaring fin box issue on the first. The board was meh at best and I quickly sold it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Weird. Maybe an urban surf legend, but isn't "impossible" to recreate the same board even if the dims are identical;
Yeah, seems impossible if it gets touched by human hands at all. Too many variables. anyone I know that’s brought a magic boar back to the shaper to recreate… never the same. You may get another good/great boar, but it’s different. Maybe a 100% computer & robot shaped/sanded/glassed boar could be replicated… but where’s the magic & romance in that?

Reactions: ChaseTMP