Rusty blog

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I just stumbled on this R. blog while searching for some info on the Blackbird vs. Slayer, and thought it might be of interest.

Could go deep down the rabbit hole on the whole blog. Some insightful posts on board design from a world-class shaper... and probably more searchable than the erBB archives now.

There was another good story about Carroll riding a R. to his 2nd title. The link to the full Tracks article (bottom of post) is even better.

Last edited:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
My custom through the Rusty website was really cool. I hit the ask the shaper button and described what I wanted. A few hours later Rusty emailed me back with pictures of a file he designed and asked me if it was what I wanted. Caught me totally off guard.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My custom through the Rusty website was really cool. I hit the ask the shaper button and described what I wanted. A few hours later Rusty emailed me back with pictures of a file he designed and asked me if it was what I wanted. Caught me totally off guard.
Did you score gothic R. laminate bra?

Reactions: JDJ

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Rusty's an all around good dude.
Not only a master craftsman but he was very involved in building the clothing business that he later sold for a TON of $$$$. I don't think I've ever heard him say anything bad about anyone and mentored a couple of my friends get their start in building surfboards.
Are you talking about the sale to his OZ Licensee ?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Are you talking about the sale to his OZ Licensee ?
I forgot the whole story of what went down on the sale and to whom it was to. I vaguely remember that he signed away his right to use his name on clothing other than maybe T-shirts/hoodies for a large chunk of $$$$. He seems pretty satisfied running R-Dot with his son and crew of master shapers.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
I forgot the whole story of what went down on the sale and to whom it was to. I vaguely remember that he signed away his right to use his name on clothing other than maybe T-shirts/hoodies for a large chunk of $$$$. He seems pretty satisfied running R-Dot with his son and crew of master shapers.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah I noticed today there’s no mention of R. clothes or link on rustysurfboards.com but on the clothing site I found (after you guys brought up the sale) there is a link that takes you to the boards. Maybe that’s the extent of the connection. Good for Rusty if he made a ton of money off it and gets to focus on his passion of board-building... but that’s kinda weird not to have any control over what they do with the same logo you put on your boards.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
It did not go well -
How do you mean? For the clothes or Rusty himself?
I tried to google what happened earlier today, but couldn’t find much on the post-sale aftermath. Obviously I don’t really see any of the clothes around SoCal, so I’m guessing he came out better than the buyer on the deal.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
i always thought this was a funny story.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The boards I've had from R. have been really good when they're good.
Really bad when they're bad.
Build quality left a lot to be desired.
Pretty controversial shaper in my experience.
I have met Aussies who think R. is an Australian label.
Weren't Noa Deane's Rustys actually LSDs?