Russians used FB to exploit divisions over BLM and Muslims

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:
Go for it. I don't care what happens to Trump.

And then we can turn our attention to the members of the domestic press who actively engaged in fake news for political gain because THEIR influence was a lot more direct.
examples?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
ifallalot said:
This is taken from the standard elitist playbook, taking away agency and responsibility from the individual.

THOSE DIRTY PLEBES ARE TOO STUPID TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES
Where are all these playbooks you keep referencing and how did you find them? Or was that line of yours just taken out of the Proud Boy Playbook?

BSshwack

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 2, 2017
LA
ifallalot said:
This is taken from the standard elitist playbook, taking away agency and responsibility from the individual.

The human podcast repeater talking about thinking for yourself :roflmao:

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
OTdos said:
I can not believe people here can shrug off a foreign power interfering in our elections.
It's unprecedented. Doesn't that bother you? Forget about who Putin was helping, it's Russia involved in our political process. Doesn't that concern you? Or do you think that this is more partisan "fake news"?
Deep Spooks and Trump was mastermind of it all!!

Bwaaaaahaaahaaahaaahaaaaaaaaaa!

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
ifallalot said:

I see this as a serious problem in politics, the lack of people thinking for themselves. I think I'm looking at it differently than you. But you see people regularly being ostracized for simply having a view not consistent with their peers. Republicans have their rhinos, not sure what the pet name is for democrats, but all it does is suppress individual thinking within parties.

It creates a lack of critical thinking and immediate dismissal of the possibility, when a subject like Russians influencing our elections, comes up from the side that benefits.

The fact that trump doesn't acknowledge it as a flaw in our security just raises more flags. If he had nothing to lose he'd face it head on and deal with that flaw. That would be pretty badass.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
examples?
Good gravy - search "CNN fake news examples". Search "Fox fake news examples" while you're at it. Big Media is losing their credibility for cause. And it's not the other media outlets that are burning them.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
ifallalot said:

I'm still convinced that this is a direct result of Climate Change.
Is there any data on the Eskimo vote?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
ifallalot said:

Talk about a page out of the playbook. Jeez. You do realize your quote is just another form of the oh so dreaded "identity politics", right?

No one is saying anyone is too stupid to think for themselves, but you have to be a complete idiot to believe that people's thought processes, beliefs, and consequently their actions are not affected by the media they consume.

BSshwack

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 2, 2017
LA
sizzld1 said:
No one is saying anyone is too stupid to think for themselves, but you have to be a complete idiot to believe that people's thought processes, beliefs, and consequently their actions are not affected by the media they consume.
Like Gavin McInnes podcasts for example?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
BSshwack said:
ifallalot said:

The human podcast repeater talking about thinking for yourself :roflmao:
What in the cuntfuck are you talking about?

This is a core tenet I've had for my whole life. The Left just decided that populism was bad recently and left me behind. This is a core theme that is repeated throughout history from Rome through the medieval era and even into the Age of Revolutions with our Founders and the French. The Plebeians in Rome had to fight a Civil War to get them the Tribunate, and even then their votes were worth a fraction of those of Patrician families. Then for nearly 1800 years Rome and then most of Europe decided that it was better for a single person to think for them. Even when our Founders and the first revolutionaries in France created republics where enfranchisement was severely limited because of the "tyranny of the mob." Look how disenfranchised citizens of the US are to this day! I've always believed that true self-determination is the only acceptable course of action

So its bad to listen to things where you're learning stuff? I guess I should just listen to mindless sports talk and bad music when I'm driving. Should I burn my books too?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
BSshwack said:
sizzld1 said:
:rolleyes:

Keep conjecturing what you hear here so you can think you know why I think the way I do. Fecal has taught you well

Hint: Gavin doesn't even have a Podcast. Maybe people should learn to discern what a 10 minute comedy video is

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
sizzld1 said:
ifallalot said:

Talk about a page out of the playbook. Jeez. You do realize your quote is just another form of the oh so dreaded "identity politics", right?

So I suppose those politicians that are pushing the Russia narrative hardest will only self-fund their next campaigns? Wouldn't want that outside influence, would we?

BSshwack

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 2, 2017
LA
ifallalot said:
BSshwack said:
sizzld1 said:

Keep conjecturing what you hear here so you can think you know why I think the way I do. Fecal has taught you well

Hint: Gavin doesn't even have a Podcast. Maybe people should learn to discern what a 10 minute comedy video is
I'm sorry I was harsh. My point is, I can find hundreds of Twitter commenters making the same points you make on the erBB and using the same arguments. I have a strong suspicion many of them consume similar media to you, whatever form that takes.

For better or worse (definitely worse,) a ton of people do get their news from Facebook. Doesn't mean they can't think for themselves, but it's the media they're exposed to.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
sizzld1 said:
ifallalot said:

So do you avoid any media that conflicts with your though processes, beliefs etc? That would be a little pathetic don't you think? :poke:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ifallalot said:
BSshwack said:
sizzld1 said:

So why DO you perform self-ilkings with the ignorant trash that populate the Ben Shapiro, Proud Boys, etc. FB feeds? :shrug:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Kento said:
ifallalot said:
BSshwack said:
sizzld1 said:

So why DO you perform self-ilkings with the ignorant trash that populate the Ben Shapiro, Proud Boys, etc. FB feeds? :shrug:
Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they are "ignorant trash"

Attitudes like this are why the current form of the American Left is going to continue to lose to people they hate

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
OTdos said:
Kento said:
ifallalot said:
BSshwack said:
sizzld1 said:

ilk is ilk. simple.
never mind

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ifallalot said:
Kento said:
ifallalot said:
BSshwack said:
sizzld1 said:

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they are "ignorant trash"

Attitudes like this are why the current form of the American Left is going to continue to lose to people they hate
Do you actually read the comments?

And, yes, the vast majority of them are from ignorant trash.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GWS said:
sizzld1 said:
ifallalot said:

So do you avoid any media that conflicts with your though processes, beliefs etc? That would be a little pathetic don't you think? :poke:
No, actually I don't. And I work with a couple of very intelligent ultra-conservatives who also help me check my biases and see things from a different perspective. We disagree about 90% of the time, but I always learn something from the discussions. But that is not the case for the vast majority of this country.

In fact, that's one of the big problems with fake news on FB. FB uses algorithms to ensure you see what FB thinks you want to see. So if you look at a "real" news story about BLM assaulting police officers, for instance, you are much more likely to see/be targeted with "fake news" about BLM that appeals towards your apparent distrust/dislike of them (substitute alt-right for BLM if it makes you feel better). For the record, I've never had a FB account and don't regret it one bit.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
sizzld1 said:
GWS said:
sizzld1 said:
ifallalot said:

No, actually I don't. And I work with a couple of very intelligent ultra-conservatives who also help me check my biases and see things from a different perspective. We disagree about 90% of the time, but I always learn something from the discussions. But that is not the case for the vast majority of this country.

In fact, that's one of the big problems with fake news on FB. FB uses algorithms to ensure you see what FB thinks you want to see. So if you look at a "real" news story about BLM assaulting police officers, for instance, you are much more likely to see/be targeted with "fake news" about BLM that appeals towards your apparent distrust/dislike of them (substitute alt-right for BLM if it makes you feel better). For the record, I've never had a FB account and don't regret it one bit.
We disagree. Relying on co-workers to provide you with contrasting viewpoints is weak. Take it all in (legitimate media, real journalists with editors, the whole deal) and then either rip it shreds or confirm your opinion. Head in the sand is no way for an intelligent person to form his/her opinions. Most people gravitate to a news outlet that confirms their bias. It's comforting. It makes them feel intelligent without making them think.

And I don't do FB. Period. The concept of getting "news" from that joke is just really, really stupid. If I may wax elitist for a moment, anybody who gets their "news" from FB should probably not be allowed to vote. I mean, not really, I wouldn't actually support that, but good grief, the world would be a better place if they didn't vote.