sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GWS said:
sizzld1 said:
GWS said:
sizzld1 said:
ifallalot said:
This is taken from the standard elitist playbook, taking away agency and responsibility from the individual.

THOSE DIRTY PLEBES ARE TOO STUPID TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES
Talk about a page out of the playbook. Jeez. You do realize your quote is just another form of the oh so dreaded "identity politics", right?

No one is saying anyone is too stupid to think for themselves, but you have to be a complete idiot to believe that people's thought processes, beliefs, and consequently their actions are not affected by the media they consume.
So do you avoid any media that conflicts with your though processes, beliefs etc? That would be a little pathetic don't you think? :poke:
No, actually I don't. And I work with a couple of very intelligent ultra-conservatives who also help me check my biases and see things from a different perspective. We disagree about 90% of the time, but I always learn something from the discussions. But that is not the case for the vast majority of this country.

In fact, that's one of the big problems with fake news on FB. FB uses algorithms to ensure you see what FB thinks you want to see. So if you look at a "real" news story about BLM assaulting police officers, for instance, you are much more likely to see/be targeted with "fake news" about BLM that appeals towards your apparent distrust/dislike of them (substitute alt-right for BLM if it makes you feel better). For the record, I've never had a FB account and don't regret it one bit.
We disagree. Relying on co-workers to provide you with contrasting viewpoints is weak. Take it all in (legitimate media, real journalists with editors, the whole deal) and then either rip it shreds or confirm your opinion. Head in the sand is no way for an intelligent person to form his/her opinions. Most people gravitate to a news outlet that confirms their bias. It's comforting. It makes them feel intelligent without making them think.

And I don't do FB. Period. The concept of getting "news" from that joke is just really, really stupid. If I may wax elitist for a moment, anybody who gets their "news" from FB should probably not be allowed to vote. I mean, not really, I wouldn't actually support that, but good grief, the world would be a better place if they didn't vote.
Sounds like we don't disagree at all. You keep reading things into my comments that simply are not there. Where have I ever said anyone should shield themselves from opposing views? Or that I or anyone else should only rely on coworkers to challenge their views? :shrug:

I completely agree everyone should go out of their way to challenge their thoughts/beliefs/principles. Not sure why you continue to assume I don't? One of the best ways to do that is to read/listen/watch opposing views (i.e. consume media). But that's not the only way. You should also talk to people who see things differently than you do....in person, not behind a keyboard and monitor. So where is the disagreement?

And yes, most people gravitate to news that confirms their biases. In fact, I would say nearly everyone is guilty of that, whether they realize it or not. FB makes it worse (with targeted ads and algorithyms designed to make sure you see things FB thinks you'll "like") and, unfortunately, many people believe the sh!t they read on that site. Someone posted a panel discussion from CNN recently with a bunch of conservatives discussing whatever the news of the day was and many of them repeated falsehoods they had read on FB and straight up defended using it as a news source. The average intelligence of American voters is pretty low and 1/2 of the people who vote come in somewhere below that average.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
My bad. I misread the first part of your response. Doing too many things at once. I don't seem to multi-task as well as I once did... :(

among other things.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GWS said:
My bad. I misread the first part of your response. Doing too many things at once. I don't seem to multi-task as well as I once did... :(

among other things.
No worries. Been guilty of the same plenty of times myself. :cheers:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Kento said:
Do you actually read the comments?

And, yes, the vast majority of them are from ignorant trash.
The vast majority of all people are ignorant trash.

That's why I don't read most comments. I already have enough arguments going on here on any given day :poke:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ifallalot said:
Kento said:

That's why I don't read most comments. I already have enough arguments going on here on any given day :poke:
Now who's elitist? :roflmao:

You probably should just so you know who you are in solidarity with. FB can be dangerous the way you can easily perform a self-ilking. :beer:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I have a FB account but I never use it. My default news is MSN because I WANT to see the left-leaning semi-centrist perspective first. I can decide for myself where to go from there.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Kento said:
ifallalot said:
Kento said:

You probably should just so you know who you are in solidarity with. FB can be dangerous the way you can easily perform a self-ilking. :beer:
It ok, you're in solidarity with green haired hamplanets who aren't quite sure of their genitalia. Doesn't mean you have to change your views just because undesirables share them

:dancing:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ifallalot said:
Kento said:
ifallalot said:
Kento said:

It ok, you're in solidarity with green haired hamplanets who aren't quite sure of their genitalia. Doesn't mean you have to change your views just because undesirables share them

Excellent. Difference is they're not going out of their way to deport/genocide/oppress groups of people, despite your fear of white male oppression.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Apart from enforcing existing immigration law nobody is deporting, genociding or oppressing groups of people.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GDaddy said:
Apart from enforcing existing immigration law nobody is deporting, genociding or oppressing groups of people.
There are plenty of people advocating for it though...particularly on the internet where they can enjoy a certain level of anonymity.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:
There are plenty of people advocating for it though...particularly on the internet where they can enjoy a certain level of anonymity.
You pay attention to what anonymous people advocate on the internet?

SAD

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Kento said:
ifallalot said:
Kento said:
ifallalot said:
Kento said:

Excellent. Difference is they're not going out of their way to deport/genocide/oppress groups of people, despite your fear of white male oppression.
You'd be wrong there

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
ElOgro said:
sizzld1 said:
GDaddy said:
You pay attention to what anonymous people advocate on the internet?

SAD
I couldn't care less. Just putting the conversation GDaddy was responding to in context, so he could see what Kento was saying.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
ifallalot said:
Kento said:
ifallalot said:

You'd be wrong there [/quote]

The initial trigger?

The horror!! The horror!! :roflmao: :roflmao: