Russians used FB to exploit divisions over BLM and Muslims

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
I wonder how many of you idiots fell for this...

Russian operatives used Facebook ads to exploit divisions over black political activism and Muslims:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/russian-operatives-used-facebook-ads-to-exploit-divisions-over-black-political-activism-and-muslims/2017/09/25/4a011242-a21b-11e7-ade1-76d061d56efa_story.html?pushid=59c9727dd4ac501c0000005f&tid=notifi_push_breaking-news&utm_term=.c4ae02726a51

It is awfully conincidental that Trump blatantly used the same tactics to boost his base and garner votes....

"The divisive themes seized on by Russian operatives were similar to those that Trump and his supporters pushed on social ­media and on right-wing websites during the campaign. U.S. investigators are now trying to figure out whether Russian operators and members of Trump’s team coordinated in any way. Critics say Trump, as president, has further inflamed racial and religious divisions, citing his controversial statements after violent clashes in Charlottesville and limits imposed on Muslim immigration.

The previously undisclosed ads suggest that the operatives worked off evolving lists of racial, religious, political and economic themes. They used these to create pages, write posts and craft ads that would appear in users’ news feeds — with the apparent goal of appealing to one audience and alienating another. In some cases, the pages even advertised events."

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You can't cheat an honest man.

Hillary just proved that having twice as much campaign money and media support doesn't necessarily win an election all by itself. Moreover, she's not the first example of that.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GDaddy said:
You can't cheat an honest man.

Hillary just proved that having twice as much campaign money and media support doesn't necessarily win an election all by itself. Moreover, she's not the first example of that.
Not sure what any of that has to do with this thread... :bigdeal:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Response to "retards being manipulated", which since you also mentioned it applies DIRECTLY to this thread.

I'm surprised that went over your head.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
sizzld1 said:

Russian operatives used Facebook ads to exploit divisions over black political activism and Muslims:
I'm really hoping you realize that they were targeting both sides of the aisle. Their goal isn't to get Trump elected, their goal is to sow discord on all sides and have us spend as much time tearing into each other as possible so that they get freed up to unleash the Bear. They have a fertile environment for that strategy. You might want to think about that when you lump all righties or republitards or flyover morans into the same bucket.

Unless you are referring to the Steelers and Chiefs fans and organizations, in which case you are on the right side of history.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
the janitor said:
sizzld1 said:

I'm really hoping you realize that they were targeting both sides of the aisle. Their goal isn't to get Trump elected, their goal is to sow discord on all sides and have us spend as much time tearing into each other as possible so that they get freed up to unleash the Bear. They have a fertile environment for that strategy. You might want to think about that when you lump all righties or republitards or flyover morans into the same bucket.

Unless you are referring to the Steelers and Chiefs fans and organizations, in which case you are on the right side of history.
I'm not lumping anyone by political affiliation. The only group I could be said to be lumping together are people who have whole-heartedly bought into BLM and/or Muslim hatred and fear. They are idiots and I don't have any qualms saying so. The fact that many of them happen to live in fly-over country is just a coincidence. There are plenty of easily manipulated small-minded fools on the coast as well.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GDaddy said:
Response to "retards being manipulated", which since you also mentioned it applies DIRECTLY to this thread.

I'm surprised that went over your head.
Maybe it was the follow-up re: Hillary and the election results that threw me off....

In any case, I'm still not sure how "you can't cheat an honest man" is responsive. Who is the honest man in your scenario? The voter? Being honest certainly doesn't mean you aren't open to manipulation. Maybe I should let my coffee sink in and think about your response further...

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I'm curious what it is you think any voter would have been manipulated on in this election? Exactly how high is your contempt for the electorate? Which you actually mentioned in the first line of your original post.

HRC is a known quantity - way moreso that Bubba42 or BHO44 was when they campaigned.

Trump is also a known quantity. Everyone knew his negatives and his supporters voted for him in spite of them.

Within the context of a presidential election what could muh Russians have done to manipulate anyone's opinions on either of them?

I wonder if you've ever given serious consideration to the point that people don't appreciate being told they're too stupid to make their own choices and they need better and smarter people (like you) to decide what's best for them.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
sizzld1 said:
the janitor said:
sizzld1 said:

I'm not lumping anyone by political affiliation. The only group I could be said to be lumping together are people who have whole-heartedly bought into BLM and/or Muslim hatred and fear. They are idiots and I don't have any qualms saying so. The fact that many of them happen to live in fly-over country is just a coincidence. There are plenty of easily manipulated small-minded fools on the coast as well.
I don't think anyone fears BLM. Mostly they are laughed at, except when they are violent, then there may be some fear. There's probably some anger also. When these retarded assholes shut down streets people honk and stuff. Watching faggots buy into a lie is entertaining.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GDaddy said:
I'm curious what it is you think any voter would have been manipulated on in this election? Exactly how high is your contempt for the electorate? Which you actually mentioned in the first line of your original post.

HRC is a known quantity - way moreso that Bubba42 or BHO44 was when they campaigned.

Trump is also a known quantity. Everyone knew his negatives and his supporters voted for him in spite of them.

Within the context of a presidential election what could muh Russians have done to manipulate anyone's opinions on either of them?

I wonder if you've ever given serious consideration to the point that people don't appreciate being told they're too stupid to make their own choices and they need better and smarter people (like you) to decide what's best for them.
Somehow I knew you would take offense to this thread GDaddy...

Manipulated doesn't necessarily mean changing a persons' vote. If you read the article, you will see that much of the effort was targeted at discouraging/encouraging voter turnout in the right groups. But I digress. Manipulation, in this context, has more to do with sowing irrational fear and hatred in people. We are all susceptible to that if approached in the right way, at the right time. One way to do that is with targeted fake news and advertisements specifically designed to accomplish that task. That's what Russia did and if you don't think that can have any effect on people, take a look at the PizzaGate story and get back to me.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I'm curious if you think anyone is more responsible for the public's perceptions of BLM and muslims than those groups are themselves by their own conduct?

Again, exactly how high is your contempt for we-the-people?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GDaddy said:

For starters, they likely got you even more afraid of BLM and Muslims than you already were. Every article you read on the bad Muslims reinforced your beliefs. Didn't matter if the articles were true, or if they dealt with Muslims in America or not.

And "being smart" isn't relevant. You can be smart and still be manipulated.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
GDaddy said:
I'm curious if you think anyone is more responsible for the public's perceptions of BLM and muslims than those groups are themselves by their own conduct?

Again, exactly how high is your contempt for we-the-people?
I don't have contempt for the small portion of "we-the-people" who have bought completely into the hatred/fear of BLM and Muslims (some might say like you). I feel sorry for them. I am sensitive to reality and an unfortunate part of that reality is that many people (smart and dumb alike) are easily manipulated by the media they consume. I reserve my contempt for the people/groups who intentionally use that manipulation for personal/organizational gain, regardless of the damage it causes.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
still being manipulated today...not just fb... cnn, msnbc, etc...

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Anyone that lets something posted on Facebook influence how they vote is a fvckin' moran.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
ElOgro said:
Anyone that lets something posted on Facebook influence how they vote is a fvckin' moran.
Something we can agree on. I post nothing political on fakebook. I will however respond to the political stupidity other people post. I have one friend with whom I agree with on political matters. This guy though posts a non-stop stream of political bullshit posts on fakebook every single day. He shares literally every political post he sees that has a certain political bent to it. Trust me, even though we agree politically, this guy is not persuading anyone and neither are all of the fake news or real news stories he shares. That's the thing wish sharing that crap on social media.......people tune you out. Its kind of like sirfun's constant links to racial posts that nobody reads. Guy doesn't have an original thought in his head but boy can he post link after link after link. He must have google alerts set up for racial stories or something.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
GromsDad said:
ElOgro said:
Something we can agree on. I post nothing political on fakebook. I will however respond to the political stupidity other people post. I have one friend with whom I agree with on political matters. This guy though posts a non-stop stream of political bullshit posts on fakebook every single day. He shares literally every political post he sees that has a certain political bent to it. Trust me, even though we agree politically, this guy is not persuading anyone and neither are all of the fake news or real news stories he shares. That's the thing wish sharing that crap on social media.......people tune you out.
I blocked family members for posing politics - even those I agreed with. The problem on "influence" is more nuanced though - people self-select their news to fit their beliefs to begin with. If you keep seeing "Muslims are bad" or "White Privilege" on your feed (I included one for each side to keep it "fair and balanced") it allows you to for a more solid basis for your "side" whether the news is true or not.