Run on food

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
It’s happening again. Standing in line at Costco right now. Is 2x as long as the Great Toilet Paper War of April 2020. At least it’s moving and there’s parking, so I think the Costco employees are practicing some crowd control. Seems that thanksgiving coming up and the recent surge has everyone freaking out.

Right as my 24/30 packs of TP and PT are starting to run low:mad::violin:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
It’s happening again. Standing in line at Costco right now. Is 2x as long as the Great Toilet Paper War of April 2020. At least it’s moving and there’s parking, so I think the Costco employees are practicing some crowd control. Seems that thanksgiving coming up and the recent surge has everyone freaking out.

Right as my 24/30 packs of TP and PT are starting to run low:mad::violin:
Hoping for bezt trying after work to score toilet paper and paper towels.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
What's up with the upcoming trucker strike?
4 days could be pretty disruptive to the food and essentials supply.
Most areas only have about 3 days of inventory....
Maybe a bit of a food shortage coming up...
But I have plenty of back-up in my pantry...
As should you.
disruptions in ocean shipping also possible as forced re-ups for crew who could
not travel due pandemic become problematic.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
My Nesco food dehydrator has been working over time. Meat, vegi's and fruit go into quart size mylar bags after the cooking process, with oxygen absorbers and sealed. Grab and go backpacking / beach camping meals. Rehydrate with h20, cook and eat from available items. Mix and match to taste. Add spices.
Was in Costco the other day and most items were available except for some vegetables and fruits. Masks, alcohol hand cleaner, TP, dish and laundry soap and such were readily available.
But THAT, could change in a heartbeat with over water container shipping and air shipping as well when you live on an Island, which is the furthest from any land mass on the globe ~ ~ :socrazy:

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
The hell....I know...but is it too much to ask for people ot calm the F*#*(&# down so we dot create a damn shortage?
When I was driving through St. George, Utah on the way to Zion the Sunday before last, stopped at Albertsons to get a couple things. Had plenty of booze with me for the trip but I still like to recon the beer aisle just to know what my options are. A few microbrews but maxed out at 5 percent ABV and those 12ers were $18+. Obvious waste of time. But remarkable shortage, beer shelves were all but picked clean. Guessing that's more because of state liquor stores closed on Sunday so desperation struck the town - looked like mostly Bud Light and varieties (4.2 is 4.2) leaving the door.

Funny anecdote on this was there were a couple of fundamentalist mormons wandering the aisles and their purple/black uniforms looked a bit similar to the Albertson employee uniforms. As beer aisle was tucked away, almost asked them where it could be found as was in a hurry but caught myself at the hairdos and lack of nametags. It's probably the only reason I got hammered by hail instead of struck by lightning while driving through Hurricane a little later.

(as an aside, Checkerboard Mesa with several inches of fresh snow was beyond awesome)

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My Nesco food dehydrator has been working over time. Meat, vegi's and fruit go into quart size mylar bags after the p, cook rocess with oxygen absorbers and sealed. Grab and go backpacking / beach camping meals. Rehydrate with h20, cook and eat from available items. Mix and match to taste. Add spices.
Was in Costco the other day and most items were available except for some vegetables and fruits. Masks, alcohol hand cleaner, TP, dish and laundry soap and such were readily available.
But THAT, could change in a heartbeat with over water container shipping and air shipping as well when you live on an Island, which is the furthest from any land mass on the globe ~ ~ :socrazy:
PPK if you have not already done it great time to master smoking meat. I have mastered smokin' with highly modified Pro smoker char/griller, and most important 2 channel thermo work smoke thermometer. I never use charcoal only wood cords chopped down to beer can size for smoking....

• Love
Reactions: PPK96754

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The local school district has been bringing meals up to our neighborhood for reasons I don't understand. My boys and the rest of the neighborhood kids figured out when they show up and are now on the dole, so I'm getting at least something for my tax money. The district is giving each kid basically an entire day's worth of calories. I'm feeding myself on it as well. I'm interested to see how this washes out in the family budget.

Reactions: racer1

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
When did you move to Rapa Nui? :waving::shaka:
What is the World's Most Isolated Inhabited Island?
www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-worlds-most...
Oct 16, 2020 · Rapa Nui is 2075km from its nearest inhabited neighbor, Pitcairn Island, and 3510km from South America. The main eight (inhabited) islands of Hawaii are 3515km from the nearest island or land (California). Even if you include Kure Atoll (no inhabitants) as part of the Hawaiian islands, that part is still 4000km from Japan.
:waving: :shaka: ~ ~ ~ :cheers:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
still plenty of TP and Paper towels this morning in LA. No shortage on food either. Maybe go somewhere besides costco for cleaning products.
I dunno man. Smart n Final and Target were also sold out of PT. Paid for an overpriced pack of PT at Rite Aid, then found a 12 pack at the local grocery store.

• Sad
Reactions: rowjimmytour

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
My Nesco food dehydrator has been working over time. Meat, vegi's and fruit go into quart size mylar bags after the cooking process, with oxygen absorbers and sealed. Grab and go backpacking / beach camping meals. Rehydrate with h20, cook and eat from available items. Mix and match to taste. Add spices.
hmm, how many tourists will never make it out of their 14 day quarantine on Kauai? :monkey:

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
When I was driving through St. George, Utah on the way to Zion the Sunday before last, stopped at Albertsons to get a couple things. Had plenty of booze with me for the trip but I still like to recon the beer aisle just to know what my options are. A few microbrews but maxed out at 5 percent ABV and those 12ers were $18+. Obvious waste of time. But remarkable shortage, beer shelves were all but picked clean. Guessing that's more because of state liquor stores closed on Sunday so desperation struck the town - looked like mostly Bud Light and varieties (4.2 is 4.2) leaving the door.

Funny anecdote on this was there were a couple of fundamentalist mormons wandering the aisles and their purple/black uniforms looked a bit similar to the Albertson employee uniforms. As beer aisle was tucked away, almost asked them where it could be found as was in a hurry but caught myself at the hairdos and lack of nametags. It's probably the only reason I got hammered by hail instead of struck by lightning while driving through Hurricane a little later.

(as an aside, Checkerboard Mesa with several inches of fresh snow was beyond awesome)

Indeed, I was there during the federal shutdown a few winters ago. It was amazing.

And yeah, don't shop at Albertsons in Utah for booze.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I dunno man. Smart n Final and Target were also sold out of PT. Paid for an overpriced pack of PT at Rite Aid, then found a 12 pack at the local grocery store.
Ditto no paper product costco so went to Albertsons and payed out a$$ for 2x paper towells off brand biggest amount of rolls they had no toilet paper.

• Angry
Reactions: grapedrink