Roy's restaurant Hawaii

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
What's the take on this place?
Have an opportunity to work at one through a friend who is related to the Yamaguchi family, apparently. She said she'll show me some places around Makaha that I'm not allowed to go without her :LOL: (laughing because it's absurd but I fully believe her. 70 year old serious attitude Asian woman)
I don't want to be around fake shlt though. Just real, good food, and good people. I'm not comfortable asking her if this is a situation like that. Any "place is cool, good fish and folks" or "stay away, Disney bs" would be appreciated.

35d0b442-e560-4248-9028-dc8d657b182d.png
Fee in advance

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
he's over built/extended like Sam and other local chefs
with the lockdowns he may have to start consolidating
my niece was training to be a chef in waikiki but got laid off with the lockdown hasn't worked since.
He's a good guy, a favorite customer
used to go to the original hawaii kai locataion and more recently the ko'olina location.

sometimes they get too creative with the food
more art than sustenance like Chai and Alan Wong
chef's don't make the best CEOs of large multi location conglomerates
sometimes it's best to just stay small/regional instead of trying to improve the world
I think this is most chef's failures
The Chart House in waikiki just closed down due to covid
Covid has really hammered the industry here.

Reactions: stringcheese

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
My nephew just finished chef school and worked at the Turtle Bay one. I've eaten there a bunch and like it. Never been to any of the other one's though. Generally Roy's has a pretty good rep.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
That is a pretty good behind for a 70 yr, but she better start working on those triceps....don't lose the elbow!
I didn't even notice but wow, keen eye for flaws :LOL: those are kinda gross already! When she turns 80 they'll be awful.

Ps I won't be making any jump until early next year. Restaurant industry is a mess and I have a great thing going already.
Thanks for the opinions so far!

Reactions: chilly1

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
re The Chart House. Joey is getting old and may feel that it's time to say Aloha to his restaurant. Just a few Chart House Restaurants around now days. The Chart House had a good following, ocean related theme and pretty good mood and food joint. Loved the 2nd Chart House on PCH in Newport Beach back in the late 60's near the Ancient Mariner and the one built in Redondo near the Breakwater.
Parked cars at the Ilikai Chart House at the Ala Wai Boat Harbor decades back.

Roy's? Has always had a good rep in the food and beverage industry in Hawaii. I liked the one in Hawaii Kai when he first opened it up there. Had a nice ambience, a nice rhythm / movement to the place

@70 ... One has to wonder what will spill out-a those skin tight, black leggings ~ ~ ~

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I feel like I need to mention that the person in that picture is not the friend I'm talking about. Just don't want to get your hopes up PPK. I would introduce you, though. Won't tell your wife:shaka:

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Foh or kitchen? Personally love the one in pebble beach(Spanish Bay). Friend interned in the kitchen and liked it(the food) despite being used to crank out banquet food. Interviewed for a bar position once and kinda threw it cause the commute would of sucked. What position are you pursuing.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Foh or kitchen? Personally love the one in pebble beach(Spanish Bay). Friend interned in the kitchen and liked it(the food) despite being used to crank out banquet food. Interviewed for a bar position once and kinda threw it cause the commute would of sucked. What position are you pursuing.
FOH. I've worked every spot, all spots simultaneously, for ten years, and been managing for 5 years. With southern Italians, to make things more difficult.
Ideally I just want to wait tables during dinner 5 nights a week. If I have a busser, hostess, I'm good for 12 or more. If I get an expeditor I'll do 20 :shaka:
I'll entertain doing more control work, but managing is...a drag. The money is in the dinner rush *shrug* and I don't like to work more than 30ish hours a week. Lifestyle choice.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Older sister of a girl in my high school class married Roy. Knew a few guys who worked the HK place, made good money and never complained about the conditions or people to me. Of course that was with the Japanese/foreigners coming in and throwing cash a while back. Cost of living may be an issue if looking at HI.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Older sister of a girl in my high school class married Roy. Knew a few guys who worked the HK place, made good money and never complained about the conditions or people to me. Of course that was with the Japanese/foreigners coming in and throwing cash a while back. Cost of living may be an issue if looking at HI.
Fortunately I'm currently living in $LO. Hard to get more expensive than here, unless you want to live in Manhattan!

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I often miss the restaurant business. I hope you all still in it make it through this time and I hope for lots of positive change to come out of all this somehow. Also, I really hope to see time honored traditions survive, like buying your busboy or expeditor a Grand Marnier as a busy night winds down, that sort of thing. There's a hundred things I'd hate to see forgotten, but I fear that's what it is coming to.

I worked for this Italian once, and when the dishwashers would quit I would have to scrub some pots at the end of the night. I hadn't oughtta washed his gnarly pasta strainer though. I thought I was doing a good thing till sh!t started flying.

• Haha

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Sounds like a plug but I would not want to try and make a living in the islands in the restaurant industry right now. Sucks because a year ago woulda been a whole other story. If you can hustle and know your wine you were making $$$.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Sounds like a plug but I would not want to try and make a living in the islands in the restaurant industry right now. Sucks because a year ago woulda been a whole other story. If you can hustle and know your wine you were making $$$.
A year from now...