Rowing Machine vs Peloton

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i love our peloton. i used to hit the rowing machine for 2 minute sprints in between weight sets, back when gyms were open, and yeah it kicks your ass, but i enjoy (and therefore use) the bike a lot more

• Love
Reactions: $kully

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
We have a stationary bike. It's a Bowflex C6 (Which is the same as the Schwinn IC4, which, stylistically, I would've preferred but it would've taken 2 more months to arrive) and cost half of what the Peloton does. It doesn't have a screen, but it has a bracket on the handlebars to hold an ipad, it's bluetooth enabled, and the wife subscribes to the Peloton app. You can get your speed and stats in the app on the ipad or on the TV in front of the bike through Apple TV. Saved us over a grand. She enjoys it for the cycling classes and weights classes as she rehabs a broken foot. She also liked the aerobics type classes. I use the bike right now for some quick cardio in the app since I can't run or do much impact. There are other classes and instructional in the Peloton app as well, but I can't imagine getting much out of the bike without classes.

The bike made some sense early on in 2020. We had the space, gyms and workout classes were closed, my wife didn't feel comfortable running outside by herself while we tried to understand the pandemic restrictions and while I was incapacitated with my back injury. Then she was sidelined from running because of fertility treatments. Then she broke her foot. Now it's a tight fit in our new, smaller apartment.

I think I would dig a row machine. I used it back in the day at the gym and I think my overall goals would be more in line with the results from a rower than the bike. I get bored on the bike and it leaves me needing to carve out additional time to do strength exercises. Any recommendations on one would be great. Particularly one that takes up little space and might be found on the used market. I'm thinking of setting it up in the garage.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I bought a Nordic Track rower for the wife. They have one that is linked on-line like the Peloton but I opted out of that and went for the cheaper model. It folds up when not in use so it doesn't take up a ton of floor space. I've used it a few times. I can't hang with it for longer than about 45 minutes. 30 minutes most of the time. My ass can't take much more than that. My body is well capable of going longer, but the contact point on my ass just starts getting to me. Butt your mileage may vary.
I can go like 3 minutes before loosing my mind.

I need to drink, take pain pill, or do coke or something to endure the monotony.

But doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I'm the same way with fishing.

I need a bite in the first 5 minutes and I am done.

I love doing heavy singles with weights but my body can't take no more.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You'll get a better workout with a few dumbbells and a workout ball than you will with a rower or a bike. Will take up a lot less space too. Get a pair of 10, 20, 30 and 40 pound dumbbells, yoga ball and a balance ball. Probably the most versatile and smallest space you can get.
+1 can find on CL cheap I use skate deck and 6" PVC tube. Also make sute to get bench with incline and decline. I also have speed bag, double end bag, and heavy plus jump rope. I made a jump box end of last year 24" high also great table for parties.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
Having a bony ass is definitely a problem with a rower. The seats on the rowers are far more comfortable than a carbon seat in an actual boat though.

Looking at Craigslist for Concept 2's just now and its safe to say that much like other workout equipment during the pandemic, prices are high and stock is limited.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You chose the natural wood squatty potty isntead of the white one.:shaka:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You'll get a better workout with a few dumbbells and a workout ball than you will with a rower or a bike. Will take up a lot less space too. Get a pair of 10, 20, 30 and 40 pound dumbbells, yoga ball and a balance ball. Probably the most versatile and smallest space you can get.
You will do more to extend your life with a rower than with any of the above.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Why did you throw your 10+ year old wetsuit in the photo? Did you just have it laundered? :ROFLMAO:
Doing my best to live my life like a good Christian conservative...

Reactions: tacos

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
and for cardio? jumping jacks?