Rounded pin tail twins

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
No clue but center fin box is made for a least 7" single fin so side boxes would be in side fin placement which I assume would have a completly different cant and placement then most twins regardless modern or retro maybe ask c st. :shrug:
I rode a friends setup as a 2+1 with bonzer side runners. It was fun and paddled well but it rode weird. Not like a single and not like a bonzer. I could not turn it from the rail at all. You had to have a very heavy back foot to make it work.
would not bang. I was surprised I liked the tech/glassing.

Reactions: ReForest

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Didn't know you knew that much about FW. How far are they from the tail
Farther back than it looks from that photo. I had a 6’ and it was really a fun board with BM twins (upright keel hybrid). I intentionally got it oversized and it didn’t work out as planned. Would have kept a smaller version.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I rode a friends setup as a 2+1 with bonzer side runners. It was fun and paddled well but it rode weird. Not like a single and not like a bonzer. I could not turn it from the rail at all. You had to have a very heavy back foot to make it work.
would not bang. I was surprised I liked the tech/glassing.
Bonzer is all about the back concaves and then the fins you can not have a bonzer with out the concave or just the fins. Same goes thruster set up use twins still thruster with out back fin:drowning:

Last edited:

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Ross surfing his Arakawa twin fin from about 0:15-0:45 and Shane surfing the Sunday twin from about 2:30-3:00 in this video:

I saw some vid of Machado's Sunday twin setup and he was using his big keel fins in there. Shane is using regular upright twins in there and as a result the trailing edge of the fin is much further forward than intended and that's what it looks like when he's surfing the board. it's one of the downsides of the futures box in that you can't set the rear edge of the fin in a specific spot. it'll vary based on the fin for larger base fins. (thus griffin's mantra about fins designed for the board making a lot of sense)

ross' board looks good and so does the short clip of kelly's. Taylor's board looks massive in comparison but it's probably just because kelly's board is tiny. Rob looks good on his modified Sunday too (looks like bigger fins than shane's and also further back). I surf mainly twins now but nothing about these surfers relates to my surfing or my choice of boards of course. ha! those conditions look kinda tough.

Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Ross surfing his Arakawa twin fin from about 0:15-0:45 and Shane surfing the Sunday twin from about 2:30-3:00 in this video:

Soooo sick. Did you see Rob's fins and board? Looks like some wooden fins with futures base and a new model? :unsure:

Dorian's style is so good! I think its cool he beat Slater. Ross's style is a little funky.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Soooo sick. Did you see Rob's fins and board? Looks like some wooden fins with futures base and a new model? :unsure:

Dorian's style is so good! I think its cool he beat Slater. Ross's style is a little funky.
actually not really impressed with their performance. especially after seeing guys like asher pacey and victor bernardo surfing twins way way better. but they are over 50 so kudos to us old guys.

Reactions: ReForest and SD_Dan

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
actually not really impressed with their performance. especially after seeing guys like asher pacey and victor bernardo surfing twins way way better. but they are over 50 so kudos to us old guys.
I kind of agree. Especially Dorian. He looked kind of hunch back and stiff. They were all snapping, where I prefer carves. Even Knucklehead (isn't that what they called Knox?) was snapping.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Another TP option maying its way to the endless Lost lineup. This looks pretty cherry for slopey points:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Another TP option maying its way to the endless Lost lineup. This looks pretty cherry for slopey points:

It has 3 fins

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Board/model named either cali or fireturd would be no buy ever for me:shrug:

Dec 5, 2020
SF
Before I put a pad on this, I’m curious where the back foot sweet spot might be on these w/o a trailing center fin. Only twinny I’ve surfed is a traditional keel fin fish, where directly over the fins is as far back as you can go.

Seems like you could get too far behind fins, no?

Reactions: Makoman and Aruka