Rounded pin tail twins

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Never been crazy about how they look. Been addicted to the glide on my classic twin keel fish lately and it has gotten me curious about rounded pin tail twins. Anybody here ride them and have thoughts on them? Conditions they excel in?

Attachments

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I have a 6'6" Album Townsend RP twin. Outline is very similar to the one you posted.

I love it. It basically excels in everything. Small mush to overhead walls. I think it's the logical next step up for someone who enjoys a twin fish in smaller waves and wants similar glidey vibes but with more paddle power and hold. They are honestly so addictive and it's only my desire to hit the lip that eventually gets me back on my thrusters.

I haven't ridden my longer twins with keels as I rarely feel like I need any extra drive and I appreciate the looseness a more upright twin gives me. I could see going shorter and running keels though.

I wouldn't go super short though on a round pin twin but I could see getting one around my own height (6'3").

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
The wheel are already turning in my head about my next twin, I'm debating double wing round pin, or double wing swallow, pros - cons? It's gonna be a while before I put my current 2win down, I'm addicted for sure now, just started playing around with fins.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I also had a Gary McNeill RP twin good wave design. board was great but ended up selling it because I just was not riding a twin fin step up. I didn’t see any advantage over thrusters in good surf.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Pretty much what Aruka said, works in most conditions.
My McNeill 6’10 still surprises me with it’s performance. No problem holding in bigger stuff, no problem chucking it around in the smaller stuff. It’s pretty foiled out with a bit of rocker compared to other mid twins I’ve seen though.

Jul 29, 2018
I’ve got 4. 3 morning of the earth 7’7, 6,6 and 5’8 all with channels and the new addition an McNeill TWO 7 ft. All great boards and work in all sized waves but they need steepness in the wave. Mushy flat waves they just don’t like them. For those waves my wider tailed boards like my fish or dharma are much better.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Very similar to OP I was exclusively riding a 5'3" stretch 2win fish and it got me addicted to twins.

I wanted something that worked in bigger waves/longer paddles etc. and ordered a 5'10" stretch 2win double bump round tail.

+1 on being best in steep, powerful waves -- has a tendency to feel loose/weird in flatter waves and feels better the more critical the waves get. have ridden in norcencal and hawaii to good success

get one!

Reactions: trifish

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm all in on giving this a shot with a 6'4 MOTE Fiji on order.

Once upon a time, I had 6'4 surf prescriptions single fin with side bites that I would ride as a twin with trailer every once in a while and it went pretty good once there was a wall to work with.

Definitely interested to see what the Fiji will do at OB on the inner bar days.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Shaped myself a 6'10" x 19 x 2.4 round pin twin with heavy glass - thing is insanely fun in a wide variety of conditions. good glide, big lines. first time I took it out was in thigh-high weak windswell, and I thought to myself, I need to ride this in big conditions. it'll be fun to switch it out with my high-performance boards this winter, based on how aggro i'm feeling.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

Once upon a time, I had 6'4 surf prescriptions single fin with side bites that I would ride as a twin with trailer every once in a while and it went pretty good once there was a wall to work with.

If you don't like it, would buy.
:shaka:

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I have a 6'6" Album Townsend RP twin. Outline is very similar to the one you posted.
Seems like sizing on those range a good bit looking at Albums Instagram. They must scale well. I see some guys riding them closer to shortboard length an others riding a foot over height.

Reactions: Aruka and chilly1

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I had a 5'8 that looked very similar to the OP's image and was influenced by the Stacey Bullet Twin. I liked it and probably wouldn't have sold it if it had came out lighter. I've been on sub 6' Varial and Spine-Tek boards that are really light and the PU twin's weight would bum me out as soon as I put it under my arm. The fins were set back at 7.25" and I could pretty much do every turn on it as I would on my thrusters and it held great. I might order a Stacey Bullet Twin in their Phantom Phlex EPS.

Reactions: trifish

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Seems like sizing on those range a good bit looking at Albums Instagram. They must scale well. I see some guys riding them closer to shortboard length an others riding a foot over height.
Mine is 7'0" (i'm 6'4)I haven't ridden it enough to give a proper review but so far I wish I had gone shorter with more foiled rails (54L is overkill). pro is at that for a board that length it turns on a dime frontside, con it actually feels like it is pushing water when paddling. Arukas got his dialed in, go that route. I've got an 7'1" MC twin pin (47L)coming much less volume, narrower and lower rails, once I've had a chance to compare, which could take a year based upon my surf schedule :( I will likely ace one from my quiver

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018

You’ll love it. There is just a wait for orders at the moment. Poor Simon Jones must never see daylight.
did you get the triple stringer or single stringer?

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Mine is 7'0" (i'm 6'4)I haven't ridden it enough to give a proper review but so far I wish I had gone shorter with more foiled rails (54L is overkill). pro is at that for a board that length it turns on a dime frontside, con it actually feels like it is pushing water when paddling. Arukas got his dialed in, go that route. I've got an 7'1" MC twin pin (47L)coming much less volume, narrower and lower rails, once I've had a chance to compare, which could take a year based upon my surf schedule :( I will likely ace one from my quiver
do u play basketball professionally?