Rounded pin tail twins

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Guess the other reason is to break the outline and give it a pivot point but it's a twin, and has plenty of built in pivot.
+1,000,000,000

Reason most people like twins is the loose feeling, but if you pair it with a narrow pin tail, you kinda loose that advantage.

Like the outline of my CI Twin Pin much better and it holds fine in bigger surf with no wing.
The next level is hold w/ the speed of a twin. If a board is too loose, then you can't drive off the bottom or through turns b/c you're busy nursing turns.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Screenshot_20220613-135451_Photos.jpg

Been riding the 6'7 Pukas Lady Twin quite a bit lately. The first session was a bit of a shocker, it felt slow paddling for waves and stiff turning. I then switched the power twins for the MRs and learnt that I had to adjust my positioning on the board. Paddle it quite far from the front and it glides into waves effortlessly, step right above the fins and it turns on a dime. If a flat spot presents itself, you can step forward and it will just fly over it. (Danes comment regarding going straight on midlengths and looking like an a$$hole from the EAST comes to mind though). No issues going backside at all. It's my first board with channels, it really feels like they add both speed and control. Only downside so far is that with the 6+4/6 glassing and the extra length it does have noticeable swing weight and you have to anticipate your moves a bit earlier. I was a bit worried that once I go midlength I won't go back, but don't see that happening. I still way prefer a stubby thruster for most conditions, but the board is definitely a lot of fun when you're lazy, it's crowded and/or the waves are sort of big but not really suitable to a shortboard.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What are the other dim on that 6'7 Lady Twin? The stock dims seem a little on the thick side.

Last edited:

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
What are the other dim on that 6'7 Lady Twin? The stock dims seem a little on the thick side.
6'7 x 21 x 2.88 at 42l I believe. Thick, but the rails aren't too beefy. Me 6'2 185. I think a shorter, narrower one would make for a great step up.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Thanks. Like the look of the outline and 6'7 sounds about right but maybe a little narrower and thinner.

Was thinking of it as a step egg sorta thing.

6'7 x 21 x 2.88 at 42l I believe. Thick, but the rails aren't too beefy. Me 6'2 185. I think a shorter, narrower one would make for a great step up.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Took my midlife crisis out for the first time. Handled 1.5 oh as expected. Well! Holds in nicely although it was freaky fast on a few of the bigger waves. Definitely as much of an adrenaline rush as I require in my surfing.

IMG_20220715_114629.jpg

IMG_20220715_114641.jpg

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Is that basically the Crisis Twin that Pyzel has been teasing?

Might be the photo but looks like lot of vee or maybe a double concave starting around the logo on the bottom.

Took my midlife crisis out for the first time. Handled 1.5 oh as expected. Well! Holds in nicely although it was freaky fast on a few of the bigger waves. Definitely as much of an adrenaline rush as I require in my surfing.

View attachment 133758

View attachment 133759

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Is that basically the Crisis Twin that Pyzel has been teasing?

Might be the photo but looks like lot of vee or maybe a double concave starting around the logo on the bottom.
I'm not a concave expert. It's just a regular midlife crisis but with a twin fin setup rather than the 2+1.

The crisis twin that pyzel has been teasing is this board, shrunk down to shortboard size.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Secret toe in angle !!
Yeah, "Hughies special" secret sauce is extra spicy so the placement must work anyway. Keep on getting comments on how well the board goes. Yesterday Ben a Saffa I know who surfs pretty good remarked that I was "looking really sharp" after I flicked off one of my waves that had a full speed foam climb followed by an off the top in quick succession before flick out. This morning after I got out of the water from my last wave I heard a woman saying really loudly, "Hey, hey," repeatedly as I walked past but figured she was talking to one of her kids. The guy with a longboard at the shower says, "that lady is trying to talk to you." So I look over her way and she calls out, "That wave of yours was great," with a double thumbs up.
Since I'm damn near 60 I'll take it and be happy.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
These ones are larger and I have found to be better for other boards (fish, mid lengths) and will really light up a board that you would us a larger twin or keel in.
The Modii volans work great in the 6'6" pictured above but I felt they lacked in drive as stand alone twins on other wider tailed but shorter railed boards like my 5'10" fish. Due to the tri plane/channels giving it drive and a moderate tail width in the 6'6" the Modii's smaller size works in it.IMG_20220429_085011_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited: