Rounded pin tail twins

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Getting back to the original topic of the thread. The last couple of customs i ordered - twins/twinzers .... was originally going to try a diamond tail ... then i saw a photo of this tail Barry had done on another board and decided to go with it. I'm not sure what you would call it ... looks a similar to the Lost Rocket Redux - the mid-point appears to be more pointed on that board. Nothing but good things to say about it - would definitely order one with that tail again.

20200321_131109.jpg

20201019_165825.jpg

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Getting back to the original topic of the thread. The last couple of customs i ordered - twins/twinzers .... was originally going to try a diamond tail ... then i saw a photo of this tail Barry had done on another board and decided to go with it. I'm not sure what you would call it ... looks a similar to the Lost Rocket Redux - the mid-point appears to be more pointed on that board. Nothing but good things to say about it - would definitely order one with that tail again.

View attachment 102512

View attachment 102513
No offense @flyinraptr , but I'm forced to call the tail pad police on this one.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
No offense @flyinraptr , but I'm forced to call the tail pad police on this one.
I hear ya - i wanted at least the front of the tail pad to be directly over the fins. As you can see in this shot the fins are pretty far forward. True - it is not a RT twin ... but might be taken into consideration as an alternative or happy medium between a RT and swallow.

20200116_065453.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rice

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

View attachment 102512

View attachment 102513
Fang tail

Reactions: flyinraptr

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Any reports on the MOTE Fiji? Mine must be almost ready.
How long was your wait time on that board? I know a guy who has tried to order a mote 3-4 times and they just won't send him an invoice! Wait times 9 months plus!

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Any reports on the MOTE Fiji? Mine must be almost ready.
I have been riding mine the last couple of weeks after getting over a shoulder injury. I have not had it in any really solid waves yet but have had some great sessions in waist to slightly OH conditions. Board is fast, paddles well and gets in early. It’s quite narrow but still very stable as the width runs right through the board. It has great flow and I felt at home on it straight away.
Looking forward to testing it in bigger waves as I head up the coast next week for a while.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Yes, 9 months is about right but worth the wait for a beautiful, well made, hand shaped board. He refuses to ramp up production by selling templates or employing ghost shapers. A true legend which is reflected in his boards.

this video is worth a watch

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Yes, 9 months is about right but worth the wait for a beautiful, well made, hand shaped board. He refuses to ramp up production by selling templates or employing ghost shapers. A true legend which is reflected in his boards.

this video is worth a watch

or having a glass shop glass his boards according to the podcast. With that much demand he should probably have a glass shop do all the glassing rather than do it himself.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
or having a glass shop glass his boards according to the podcast. With that much demand he should probably have a glass shop do all the glassing rather than do it himself.
You really got to trust them with your channels though. If they stuff it up (which the big operations innevitably do sometimes) than that affects your name and in this case the name of a classic surfing icon (MOTE), which is something I think Simon considers important.

I ordered in October and was told March/April.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I’m positive he could find a competent glasser. Channels might be time consuming, but they are not rocket science.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Mine sat at the glasser for like six weeks. I guess they only do a couple bonzers a week.
My last one (AO) took some time at glasser since went epoxy 6/4 6 S glass jade green deck and bottom and black rails. The rails turned purple haze and MC was pretty freaked but I dug it and still never have had a black railed board. I think mine sat at glasser a least 6 weeks.