Round Toe booties

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Anyone have some they swear by?

Split toe boots make my big toe hurt and go numb. I've liked my Rip Curl 5 mils, but they are currently sold out.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Xcel. You can get them in whatever thickness you like. I've got the 3mm and 2 pairs of the 7mms.

I hate split toe. I've got some old Billabong internal split toe 5mm that are bearable.

In most brands the round toes are the cheaper versions. In Xcel you can get top of the line Drylocks in round toe.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
So is the consensus on split toe that your foot is more locked in and won’t shift around inside the boot?

Hate boots, unless Im over sharp reef in which case I’ll take the compromise, but in that case it’s normally warm so I never wear them anyway!? It’s just a losing proposition for me in general... am considering trying round toe boots, cause my splits I tried are rather annoying..??..

Reactions: JTS

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I'm not sure what the point is. I think they claim more dexterity? But a lot of the split toes are kind of joined along the sole anyway. Round toes are more comfy and work the same IMO.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
I feel like the split toe helps reduce incidents of the bootie folding under your foot while popping up.
Agreed, but I also feel like it increases the likelihood of the front foot getting caught on the rail on the pop up.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Always thought split toes were a marketing gimmick that didn't really do anything. Better board control or something?

Then again I am susceptible to marketing gimmicks and have owned quite a few pairs...

+1 for xcel drylock roundtoes. The drylock makes a big difference in longer sessions.