Roof Racks

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I need to get roof racks on my car. Primarily, it'll be for boards, but I might consider a cargo rack at some point. I doubt I'll ever go full cargo box.
2017 Prius V.

Anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the racks/crossbar assembly they have used?
Prius specific or otherwise?
I have a hard time figuring out which components I need when trying to buy them used since different brands use different components and change their names across time and models, but that is also because I've kind of half assed it until now..

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'll vouch for Yakima's Whispbar Flush Bar Roof-Rack System.

Since 2017 on the Golf with no problems. Cargo container for longer camping road trips has been pretty much problem free.......except for that one day in 100+ F temps and full sun all day. Lock wouldn't unlock until everything cooled down. Guess the heat expanded the internal lock pins.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Hard to go wrong with Yakima. Had these guys install a track on my 2010 Prius(for warranty purpose) https://racknroad.com/
most everything else bought second hand. parts are readily available. You'd be amazed what you can haul from the Home Depot on top of a Prius. :cool:

Reactions: potato-nator

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Buy used if you can and then just get the right fit kit for your vehicle.

i went rhino racks for my truck since you can quick release the cross bars when not in use. cross bars plus “fit kit” to mate with yakima tracks was $280 to my door.

I like them more than the Thule/Yakima I’ve owned previously and the price is significantly less.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Hard to go wrong with Yakima. Had these guys install a track on my 2010 Prius(for warranty purpose) https://racknroad.com/
most everything else bought second hand. parts are readily available. You'd be amazed what you can haul from the Home Depot on top of a Prius. :cool:
What do you mean when you refer to "a track"? Like running boards?

Buy the Prius OEM roof rack kit from ebay.
Thanks. Surprisingly hard to come by from the dealer. I've considered these, but I'm really not a fan of the look of the narrow OEM's so I'm shooting for another option.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
hiya erBB'z!
if you OWN your own vehicle, what ever ya do,
do not ALWAYz use new~school style soft racks nor webbin' straps, ok?
for what will happen, is that eventually, your rubbers, err weather strippin, in your door~way, will get shredded, err ripped,
and when it rains, you will have water drip, drip, drippin' into your car, as i have, + mine, it still leaks, err!
an og: hot tip!
:waving:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I said it before and I'll say it again, I miss the old aloha style racks with the rubber straps. Always ready to go. One hook for one board and the web strap extension for two boards. You could easily carry four boards. Or you could carry a Shiite load of lumber.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
We had old universal "hard racks" on my mom's 74 Mercedes coupe that was passed down to me after my dad blew the engine. They werre great!

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
Man, that pic above of the Aloha racks takes me back to my 72' VW bug. Those racks were so simple and easy, as long as you had gutters! It used to be so simple:jamon:

That being said, I had a pair of Aloha racks *WITH* two boards fly off the car driving South on Highway 5 after a surf at Swami's back in 1987 or so. That was fun. The ENTIRE assembly, with both boards attached, got lodged underneath a Datsun 280Z. We were both able to pull over and the driver of the Z was super cool.....No damage to his car:eek:. Both boards were toast though.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
that pic that KeenFish posted,
is simply ol'~school bitchin!!!
i sold many, many, many of Bay Standards 'Aloha Racks', usually assemblin' 'em myself,
to hang, for re~sale, on some light blue color slat~wall that i had painted + hung in Doggie~Town's ol' H/W. surfshop.

but then carz started bein' made,
with~out external rain gutterz any more, so ah, well, suppy + demand, ya know, demand killed off sales...
oh well, they, carz, are new + improved, right?
just be care~full with your car rackz, + ah,
your 'fob', hahaha!

i'm diggin' that pic, thankz man!
l8z, rw
:cheers:

Reactions: keenfish

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Aloha! We had the white PVC strap covers because there was some chain link stuff going on with my highschool buds set. I love when I used to see a pair of those going by, might never happen again it's been a while.
I had some Thule crossbars with my own straps did the trick but had too much trouble with those locks. Totalled the car, but I still have the racks just in case I somehow lose the truck. Got "Go Bananas!" Soft racks too somewhere? So Zany!

Reactions: keenfish