Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
He sure esplanes it so a dummy like me can understand

He says the rocker/concave combo isn't everything and I know that it isn't...but it seems to me to be the #1 makeorbreak factor in your average standard thruster shortboard in average waves.

I'm left befuddled by how some boards that seem quite curvy can work so great in smaller surf while similar shapes with flatter rockers will suck in the exact same waves. Obviously this is not always the case, but it can be a real mindfuck when it happens.

People here often scoff at the importance of a shaper advising a customer but unless you've picked up a board, fondled it, put it on a rack and really have an eye/understanding of what's really going on...why not just let the shaper do what you pay him to do?

Or just make your own boards?

Marketing, I guess.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
He says the rocker/concave combo isn't everything and I know that it isn't...but it seems to me to be the #1 makeorbreak factor in your average standard thruster shortboard in average waves.

I'm left befuddled by how some boards that seem quite curvy can work so great in smaller surf while similar shapes with flatter rockers will suck in the exact same waves. Obviously this is not always the case, but it can be a real mindfuck when it happens.

People here often scoff at the importance of a shaper advising a customer but unless you've picked up a board, fondled it, put it on a rack and really have an eye/understanding of what's really going on...why not just let the shaper do what you pay him to do?

Or just make your own boards?

Marketing, I guess.
In the age of board models, isn't the shapers board description telling you what they think the board should do and the conditions it's suited for?

The problem is not all boards work the same for everyone.