Robin Mair Hanalei Fins

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
You’re freaking me out man. I was literally googling everything I could think of last night trying to find/remember these guys. I was sure it was Honolua Fins lol.

Reactions: MathDebater

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Robin’s fins work incredibly well
I’m just an old kook, far from a ripper and found the Q2s really made a board I liked even better. Tried the hammer fins in the back and liked those more

On top of that he is a very good guy to deal with, he offered to send me 2 quad sets for a fish and send back whichever one I didn’t want

Don’t ask me to explain the science behind them though ha ha
Jim

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Robin doesn't get enough credit for his contributions
If you've ever been to his shaping room you know he's on a different level
good people like allot I know on that island

Reactions: JTS and Chocki
Sep 11, 2008
I've got several set of his fins, all of them rock!

Q2, XPD, Split keels, H2's

The Q2 set I have is especially good, I've compared them on the same board at a fairly mechanical reefbreak and the Hanaleis are like a slingshot compared to the non-Hanaleis.

He threw in a couple quad rears for free in my last order from him, I was asking him about how to repair my old set as they'd been ground on the reef and he said not to worry that he had a pair lying around.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I have some of his older stuff just not too many boards with probox anymore except this custom tim stamps I got from Noel.
All kinds of combos I can create with this setup
Robin will make fins for Futures if you need them

20141111_113824(0) (1).jpg

IMG00105.jpg
IMG00107.jpg
IMG00111.jpg
IMG00114.jpg
297-2.jpg
297-4.jpg

Reactions: JTS and urchined

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Thanks GG. That makes a lot of sense.

Amateur follow up question from me: since the tip is usually the part of the fin that stays in the water more than the base (ie outside fin on the opposite rail that you are turning or pumping from) is there an argument or theory there for a more full tip to keep the fin engaged/planing/driving?

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I have a pair of his Q2 fins that I use in one of my kneeboards. Like previously mentioned, he’s great to work with, just send him an email.

The Q2’s, despite their smaller looking size/outline, surf much bigger in size than they look. I have Larges up front, medium in back In quad. Really need to go med/small in most surf.

These fins have so much hold it’s crazy, I think of them a big wave fins.

Would love to try different versions, but I’ve fallen out of the game to spend money to experiment on fins. Design a board around fins, or fins around a board...;)