Rob Case Paddling Videos/Paddling Technique In General

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
A long time ago I came to the conclusion that I could extend my paddling endurance by not putting my hands too deep into the water during the paddle stroke. I am not sure what I do when trying to catch a wave though, my focus in recent years has been more on looking after the lower back and keeping a sharp pop-up.

Maz, has mentioned rotator cuff problems from paddling. I have had rotator cuff problems from acute injury. Part of acute shoulder injury re-hab is elastic band rotator cuff exercises. I still do them, although I am not sure how useful they are to me now, because I don't get rotator cuff problems from paddling. Seems like a good thing to do, that's why I do them..

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I tried his tips.

surfed every day for 2 weeks.

no significant difference in endurance, waves caught or low back pain.
Catching waves is timing/wave judgement, pop up reflexes, core-strength and paddling in that order, so would make sense to me that it won't do much for wave catching unless the endurance paddling was causing wave catching paddling fatigue. RC's technique caused the OP sjlist more back pain (although reported was less pain with my lower back technique)

Sounds like you are not broken so nothing to fix. I am not interested in changing any paddling technique right now because I am not getting any shoulder trouble, so even if it isn't the most efficient I think I will just continue with what's working for me.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Catching waves is timing/wave judgement, pop up reflexes, core-strength and paddling in that order, so would make sense to me that it won't do much for wave catching unless the endurance paddling was causing wave catching paddling fatigue.
Agreed!

Reactions: bluengreen
Apr 6, 2015
I tried his tips.

surfed every day for 2 weeks.

no significant difference in endurance, waves caught or low back pain.
I'm sure your paddle technique was already quite good. Mine sucked, I now realize.

I experienced a big difference in my wave count, endurance and # of waves made. Still noticing improvement.

Apr 6, 2015
Hey @sjlist , it might be a little bit of a pain in the ass, but could you do us all a favour? Please update the first post in this thread with the most salient findings in a bullet form (I think @Maz bulleted his findings in that other thread), followed by a section with links to the best videos or something along those lines?

It will make referencing data we find a little easier.
Done. Let me know if you want me to make you a sandwich.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I experienced a big difference in my wave count, endurance and # of waves made. Still noticing improvement.
Although I was saying that I didn't think paddling grunt was the most significant part of catching waves, it doesn't mean I disagree with Rob Case's suggestions or don't believe in the value of some self analysis and technique adjustment. As you can see from some of my posts I have done a fair bit of self analysis and paddling position adjustment. It is also possible that my technique of not putting my hands too deep when cruise paddling does tend to encourage the elbows up suggestion.

You are doing marathon sessions so it is possible that what I said about preserving some petrol in the tank for the catching the wave by improving endurance paddling technique is happening. I think it is also possible that paying attention to what your body is doing has reset your awareness of what the wave is doing and improved your timing. Then there is the placebo effect. The placebo effect in surfing can be real - say greater confidence in your equipment and technique means going for the wave with more confidence - less hesitation and bottling out.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Hey @sjlist , it might be a little bit of a pain in the ass, but could you do us all a favour? Please update the first post in this thread with the most salient findings in a bullet form (I think @Maz bulleted his findings in that other thread), followed by a section with links to the best videos or something along those lines?

It will make referencing data we find a little easier.
Are you mentally exhausted from following all 38 pages of the "10 myths about lower back pain" thread?

Reactions: waxfoot

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Catching waves is timing/wave judgement, pop up reflexes, core-strength and paddling in that order, so would make sense to me that it won't do much for wave catching unless the endurance paddling was causing wave catching paddling fatigue. RC's technique caused the OP sjlist more back pain (although reported was less pain with my lower back technique)

Sounds like you are not broken so nothing to fix. I am not interested in changing any paddling technique right now because I am not getting any shoulder trouble, so even if it isn't the most efficient I think I will just continue with what's working for me.
You have to be fit and a good paddler in order to get to the spot where timing/wave judgement, pop up reflexes, core-strength can kick in. This applies at most surf spots except for reefs and points where positioning is easy and obvious.

As I've gotten older and the shoulders have worn out this has become more and more clear. Many my age give up and go to the dark side of riding long boards because they can't do the paddling thing effectively enough.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You have to be fit and a good paddler in order to get to the spot where timing/wave judgement, pop up reflexes, core-strength can kick in. This applies at most surf spots except for reefs and points where positioning is easy and obvious.

As I've gotten older and the shoulders have worn out this has become more and more clear. Many my age give up and go to the dark side of riding long boards because they can't do the paddling thing effectively enough.
Or worse sup or even worse add a foil:)

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015

dark indeed.
:cry:

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
as mentioned using the chin is viable under some circumstances
but use it easy cause you might bruise it.