Road Trip

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I retired last week.

A couple friends and I decided to do a road trip to celebrate. Goal was to leave last week and come back tomorrow. The weather changed our plans.

We left Wed morning early from Santa Cruz. Our goal was mid Nevada, north of Tonopah in the Humbolt Toiyabe mountains. Approx 9 hours if all went well.

Got through the Bay Area early for a weekday morning. No rush hour traffic. Then out 580 towards Tracy/Mantica/Yosemite Gateway. Still in the dark, we missed the HWY 120 turnoff to Yosemite, which actually turned out to be a good thing and ended up going over Sonora Pass. 25% grades on the east side. I'd never been past Strawberry/Dodge Ridge so it was all new. That is steep.

Down to Hwy 395 and south to Lee Vining. Then back on 120 from Lee Vining over to Benton. I thought it might make a good stop to
do an OHV road south of Mono Lake - Panum crater. Wrong. Deep ash, not sand. Bottomless. I got stuck and it took us two hours to get back out to the pavement. It was an adventure. Then to Benton, Hwy 6 out to 95 and Tonopah. Gas in Tonopah. Gas is the major commodity in Tonopah to get you to someplace else. Then up Hwy 376 to our destination. Let us just say it was remote.

More to follow.
Congratz as kid used to ski dodge ridge family trip.all the time we would share a cabin with South Bay friends of family. Great apple cider in Strawberry...

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Congratulations steak. Timing is everything.

I’m a firm believer in taking una cohiba de pansa on camping trips. I go for females, no problem if you swing the other way.

Reactions: Leaverite

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
You did the right thing. My dad was offered an early retirement package but passed on it and then died of a heart attack (he was only 58). When I was 57 I was diagnosed with a heart condition (myocardial bridge). Last year I turned 58 and I was freaking out (my dad's dad also died at 58). I made it through the year. Next year I have enough time in to retire with health benefits, so I punching the time card. Quitting time.

I hope to go on a road trip too. Thinking Tetons, Yellowstone, Badlands, a little farther than I have done in the past...

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
I retired after 33 years at 55. Snowboarded for 6 years 85 plus days a year.
Moved back to SOCal after wive retired both 62. Life was pretty damn good.
Damn Covid has fucked all sorts of travel plans. Enjoyed a few years, but sh!t tends to happen. Always wanted a boat trip with friends, but that doesn't seem to be in the plans anymore.
And I'm running out of time.

Reactions: ~rwright~

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
We're driving up the coast tomorrow. Scheduled stops at Mussel Sholes, Cambria, and Solvang. Wine is on my mind. However, I will be at Moonstone Beach Tuesday morning and I'm itching to shoot surf shots. Surfline is calling for a swell of some size and power filling in all Monday night. Any particular spot I should set up my rig. PM me your answer.

Reactions: ~rwright~

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
Damn Covid has fucked all sorts of travel plans. Enjoyed a few years, but sh!t tends to happen. Always wanted a boat trip with friends, but that doesn't seem to be in the plans anymore.
I'm glad I delayed for a decade and got the best waves when I was in my prime. I figured that I would get back into golf when I couldn't surf. Wrong I can't do either.

Reactions: the janitor

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
74 and like you, running out of time but I'm hitting the road when I'm 75, if I can still walk without a cane or phuggin "walker". Don't have the "shakes, still pulling " 7 to 10 mile walks a day and my attitude is still, boogie till ya puke. A lot of national parks that I still want to see and open roads I want to drive. My other half is scared to travel and she's 9 years younger. She already knows my wishes. "Get on board or Poppa is gonna be a rolin stone" :dancing:

Last edited:

Bob

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2001
Oxnard
I concur! There are a few National Parks that I would like to go to.
Would love to go back to Yosemite and camp for a bit.

Reactions: PPK96754

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I'm still planning on surf.

Lot's of surf, minus the crowds. I need to fine tune my camping setup a whole lot more for cold weather. Canada and Alaska are on my bucket list. I would like to be up in Labrador/Nova Scotia in Hurricane season....

I also want to get out and see a bunch of really remote, beautiful country. National Parks are great. But they're kinda like going to DizzyLand. Everything is roped off and tamed down for the average idiot. Case in point: A couple of people this year have fallen in completely roped off/signed off hot springs in Yellowstone and have been parboiled. You can't stop stupid people from being stupid.

You can only avoid them.

There are literally 10's of thousands of places in Murica that could claim National Park status that nobody visits. Those are the places I want to see.

Last edited: