RIP Sunny Garcia?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Yeah I noticed the same thing that night.

The guy had demons. Everyone always talks about how gnarly the west side is. I have two friends who teach at Waianae High School, one local and one haole, and they have told me some things that will haunt ME for life. Generational poverty sucks, and can lead human beings to do some pretty fucked up sh!t.

Poverty
Trauma
Colonialism/Imperialism

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

The guy had demons. Everyone always talks about how gnarly the west side is. I have two friends who teach at Waianae High School, one local and one haole, and they have told me some things that will haunt ME for life. Generational poverty sucks, and can lead human beings to do some pretty fucked up sh!t.
My ex got her PHD in Psychology there and would go do counseling on the west side and she said there were some really sad stories. They would go there to do volunteer counseling for class with security.

Humans are wired to overcome trauma.

Some people get too much in relationship to how much they can take.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020

Same here, teach in a community where generational poverty is a huge factor. Hard to address and hard to help.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Didn't his current GF, the PHD Stanford grad and Google exec, move him to an assisted rehabilitation facility in Texas or something like that in the past six months?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
First wife: Angela
Sunny and Angela have three kids, Kaila, Logan, and Stone Garcia

Second wife: Raina

Jan 11 - wife Raina served him divorce papers
Jan 12 - started 3m prison term for tax evasion

After prison stay, met third wife Colleen McCullough, while on house arrest in San Diego

Married third wife Colleen McCullough

At some point he and Colleen got a divorce

Colleen married another dude

Current
Dating Lori Park, one of the first female software engineers at Google when they launched in late 90s. She has mega money.

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

Walter Novak

Mike Cheape

Both survived the westside

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
Drugs, unemployment violence.... and if hoale: lots of scraps. Little chances for lots. Good friend of mine been through 4 generations now and still strong, just have to fight for it.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Drugs, unemployment violence.... and if hoale: lots of scraps. Little chances for lots. Good friend of mine been through 4 generations now and still strong, just have to fight for it.
The drugs is really what gets a lot people and breaks up families.

It just keeps compounding. Stealing to support drug habits, lying, leaving their families, prostitution. etc.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
One of my really good friends is from a very rough Hawaiian homestead area on Oahu.

He said the best thing he ever did was join the Navy and GTFO the moment he graduated high school. He didn't come back for 10 years. Did two long deployments on a carrier. He ended up using his college benefits from the military to become the first in his family to graduate from a University.

Last edited:

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Greg, you're from California, lived in hawai'i and ended up in Florida. if Oahu is such a paradise, why are you on the East Coast?

I've got zero interest in Hawai'i. I'd rather figure out how to get into Australia.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Greg, you're from California, lived in hawai'i and ended up in Florida. if Oahu is such a paradise, why are you on the East Coast?

I've got zero interest in Hawai'i. I'd rather figure out how to get into Australia.
so MUCH surf there.
so many spots.
OZ i mean.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
I can't stop thinking about what happened to Sunny and how as a public figure, we the public have been shut out from every seeing or hearing from him again? He's not dead, he has fans, how is that he has just been erased from the public and we will never hear or see from him or anyone that can even represent him ever again? I am baffled that this can happen to anyone that has public celebrity status?

Reactions: parkiteric

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I can't stop thinking about what happened to Sunny and how as a public figure, we the public have been shut out from every seeing or hearing from him again? He's not dead, he has fans, how is that he has just been erased from the public and we will never hear or see from him or anyone that can even represent him ever again? I am baffled that this can happen to anyone that has public celebrity status?
These situations are incredibly difficult on the family and they have to think what is in the best interest for Sunny. Huge amount of stress on everyone close to him. Huge life changing situation for his family. Maybe they don't want the public to see him like this. Maybe they would rather Sunny be remembered for charging big Waimea and 2nd reef Pipe like a beast.

If you were in Sunny's position and struggling to be coherent, would you want someone taking pics of you for the gram and posting them online for all to see, even as you continue to deteriorate? Maybe you would, but everyone is going to handle these situations differently. All we can do is hope for the best and respect the fam.

Aloha