RIP Sunny Garcia?

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Those photos don't look good for him. Like partial vegetable and not at present state. How much can brain recover from such traumic event?
The brain can recover surprisingly well. However, the more time that passes without significant improvement, the less likely it becomes for significant recovery.

He does not look like someone who is very cognizant in those pictures, and still requiring a trach to protect his airway is not a good sign either. “Saying a few words” could mean anything. But who knows, sometimes it just takes time.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Those photos don't look good for him. Like partial vegetable and not at present state. How much can brain recover from such traumic event?
You would be surprised, although Sunny's situation looks pretty bleak.

QuadFin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 10, 2018
This photo speak so much to current state. Would he want to live in such state, in wheelchair? If he was miserable before, when good health, then he must be 10x hating life now. Or does brain injury block depressive state?

LBInjSurfer

Michael Peterson status
Apr 25, 2002
Maritime Forest, NJ
This photo speak so much to current state. Would he want to live in such state, in wheelchair? If he was miserable before, when good health, then he must be 10x hating life now. Or does brain injury block depressive state?

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, nor have I worked with people who have suffered any sort of brain injury.

As a photographer, I have to say this. Photos lie. Just ask ER-BB early bird, Guardrail. I think he is the one who first said it to me when we were regularly shooting.

Without a proper caption, this could be a photo of someone talking to Sunny and asking him to make eye contact or she could be speaking to him and he is listening to her.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I cant think of anything worse than trying to kill yourself and failing, ending up like this.

Suicide is the option someone chooses when they have the (usually false) belief that they are a burden on their loved ones and that they’d be better off without you.

Sunny started out with that false belief and in his failure to end his life turned it into reality.

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
Abstract copied from Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center (MSKTC)

Based on the photos and description by Sunny's family, he is most likely in the minimally conscious state.

"People in a vegetative state due to stroke, loss of oxygen to the brain (anoxia) or some types of severe medical illness may not recover as well as those with traumatic brain injury. Those few persons who remain in a prolonged vegetative state may survive for an extended period of time but they often experience medical complications such as pneumonia, respiratory failure, infections, etc. which may reduce life expectancy.
People who have a slow recovery of consciousness continue to have a reduced level of self-awareness or awareness of the world around them. They have inconsistent and limited ability to respond and communicate. This condition of limited awareness is called the minimally conscious state.
Characteristics of the minimally conscious state
  1. Sometimes follows simple instructions
  2. May communicate yes or no by talking or gesturing
  3. May speak some understandable words or phrases
  4. May respond to people, things, or other events by:
    • crying, smiling, or laughing;
    • making sounds or gesturing;
    • reaching for objects;
    • trying to hold or use an object or
    • keeping the eyes focused on people or things for a sustained period of time whether they are moving or staying still.
People in a minimally conscious state do these things inconsistently. For example, one time the person might be able to follow a simple instruction and another time they might not be able to follow any instructions at all. This makes it difficult to distinguish the vegetative state from the minimally conscious state.
While in a minimally conscious state, people need extensive care similar to that needed by people in a vegetative state.

Emergence from the minimally conscious state
Once a person can communicate, follow instruc tions, or use an object such as a comb or pencil consistently, they are no longer in a minimally conscious state. Some people remain minimally conscious indefinitely, but many improve. The longer a person remains in a minimally conscious state, the more permanent impairments he or she is likely to have. This is because vegetative and minimally conscious states are caused by severe damage to multiple brain areas. Following emergence from the minimally conscious state, people almost always experience confusion. Sometimes people move directly from coma to this confusional state."

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Actually a big trauma can cure depression.

It doesn't make sense but . . . .

Blind people at a good school for the blind report a higher than normal sense of happiness.

They have focus. Something to aim for.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Now it's gotten weird. Sucks that in a time like this a party felt it necessary to take legal actions against family or at the least would affect family. I get privacy, but Sunny was loved by many and hopefully there is some conversations taking place in private.

Good morning everyone! I know it’s been a long almost 6 months since the last time I posted anything and there is a reason for that. I just wanted to explain briefly why there have been no updates on my dad. First off I just wanted to say how grateful and thankful we are for all of your love and prayers for my dad through these last 10 months! Prayer is SO STRONG and I know it works! GOD is so good and though the pain of what has happened to our dad has been excruciating and unexplainable we know that God has a plan for him. We (my sister and I) have been very hesitant and have to be extremely careful with what we say that pertains to our dad. I have asked one of our attorneys if it was ok to explain why we have not been allowed to update anyone on our dad. He said we could say “Per an order from the court due to a SPECIFIC REQUEST from both my dads guardians” we have been told we (myself, Logan, and stone) are not allowed to give out any information to ANYONE about our dad anymore. And that’s why the updates stopped. I’m sorry it has to be this way because I know there are so many of you who love and care for my dad including those of you who have known my dad for 30-40 + years or longer and are so eager just to know how he is doing. We wish things were different but this is the reality of this situation for now. Thank you all again so much for all your continuous prayers! Please please continue to pray for our dad!

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
It is a horror that he's in this "purgatory" as Stab states it. To try and kill yourself and end up like this, with people fighting to save you, when you tried to end it... something Edgar Allan Poe would write about.

Bless your soul Sunny.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Lawyered up for what though?

Insurance?
According to the above, Sunny now has guardians.

It seems as if the guardians are not his children and have specifically asked the court to for a gag order on his children in regards talking about Sunny's condition.

Those guardians likely have the sole privilege/responsibility of making his decisions for him, access to medical records, and especially his healthcare decisions.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
According to the above, Sunny now has guardians.

It seems as if the guardians are not his children and have specifically asked the court to for a gag order on his children in regards talking about Sunny's condition.

Those guardians likely have the sole privilege/responsibility of making his decisions for him, access to medical records, and especially his healthcare decisions.
I would never shut up if it was my dad. Wonder who the guardians are...

Reactions: racer1