RIP Sunny Garcia?

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
My time is coming with my parents, really dreading it. I guess it is life, something we all have to deal with.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Mr Doof said:
Autoprax said:
My dad balked when it came time to pull the plug on my mom.

I didn't and he accused me of wanting to kill my mom.

He was screaming at me in the hospital.

Sure, dad.

I've seen some things.

In my example above, there wasn't screaming from a son and a daughter, but there was a fair bit of enmity displayed towards yours truly. But now that time has moved on, they've come around and talk to me now.
My remaining family is small. My mother, my sister and myself. I’m grateful that we all see eye to eye on these issues and none of us are religious wackos that would want to keep the other alive on life support.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
huryanpost said:
DescriptionThe Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a memoir by journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. It describes his life before and after suffering a massive stroke that left him with locked-in syndrome. The French edition of the book was published on March 7, 1997.
Wonderful book
A movie was done by Julian Schnabel

The author and his assistant created an alphabet by his only means possible
Blinking his eyes. If I remember correctly each number of blinks was associated
With the letters order in the alphabet.
Great film

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i_shapes said:
That happens. There is an advance directive and the family ignores it. Hospital staff is NOT going to stand in the way of a family that is standing in the way of the patient's whishes.
I'm honestly seeing them less and less.

It seems 9.5 times out of 10 they're ignored by family anyway, at least in my area of work, and the physicians don't have the balls to discuss care with the family in terms of what the directive states.

The really fucked up thing is when the patient has an advance directive and the family keeps "forgetting" to bring it in.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was at a loss at how ill equipped the health care providers were.

At a certain point, I realized, these f'ers don't know what they are doing.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Autoprax said:
I was at a loss at how ill equipped the health care providers were.

At a certain point, I realized, these f'ers don't know what they are doing.
Hey, maybe our society does need those death panels after all.....

Anyway, this situation sucks for Sunny's family, and all these personal anecdotes show how universal this kind of suckage is, and probably why we should all try to be a little nicer to each other.

That is, when you aren't dropping in on me, you kook bastards!

(attempt at comic relief because this stuff bums me out)

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
frvcvs said:
huryanpost said:
DescriptionThe Diving Bell and the Butterfly is a memoir by journalist Jean-Dominique Bauby. It describes his life before and after suffering a massive stroke that left him with locked-in syndrome. The French edition of the book was published on March 7, 1997.
Wonderful book
A movie was done by Julian Schnabel

The author and his assistant created an alphabet by his only means possible
Blinking his eyes. If I remember correctly each number of blinks was associated
With the letters order in the alphabet.
Great film
check out “Waiting for Eden” by Elliot Ackerman

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
JEwing said:
After 20 years of mobile notary calls, I still can't get used to it. I've had a signer die with my pen in his hand while signing his Health Care Directive.
that's heavy.

i was a notary when i went to law school. i did pro bono notarizations for aids patients that were dieing. it was sad to see people wasting away on the cusp of death.

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
When I'm holding their hand, looking them in the eyes, asking the basic questions necessary to determine if they're aware of what they are signing, It's always hard not to show any emotions while inside you're heart is breaking. In most cases, the grim reaper is hiding in my shadow.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
stu dog said:
Autoprax said:
Did they have to feed him through a tube?

Blink blink . . . Kill ME!
my mom is on a feeding tube. granted she's 80 years old and not in the hospital. it goes into the intestine, not the stomach. those things require lots of maintenance and need to be replaced every three months.
I’m not trying to be crass or lack empathy with your situation but I have to ask...

Why is she being kept alive?

Spinktopus

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 31, 2011
Satellite Beach, FL
Feeding tubes can typically go into the upper GI (gastrointestinal) or lower GI tract which is commonly referred to as enteral nutrition support, really this is fairly common and not as invasive at it sounds. The higher in the GI tract the better, as it preserves gut function. Upper GI feeding tubes are commonly referred to as a PEG (percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy). Lower GI feeding tubes are commonly referred to as PEJ (percutaneous endoscopic jejunostomy). Each method has an indication based on patient condition and integrity of the gut. Each method has formulas developed for optimal nutritional absorption. If the gut can’t be used for nutrition, feeding options to consider are parenteral (outside the GI which is commonly delivered into bloodstream) nutrition support. I’m a registered dietitian and have specialized in enteral & parenteral nutrition for >15 years (most recently, I work in healthcare IT).