RIP Sunny Garcia?

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
Dad passed away when I was 4, he was 54 and a retired officer. The benefits we received made life for my single parent mom a lot easier. She still isn't married 36 years later cause she gets benefits and access to Commissary. Military really blessed our situation. Dad was orphaned during the Great Depression in rural Minnesota, adopted to Illinois as free farm labor, then joined the Navy at 18. Came through Hawaii on the way to Korea and said I'm living here after service.

When he was passing away (cancer), he told my mom to not let me join no matter what though.
Same. My Dad did two tours in Nam and came back physically and mentally broken. 100% disabled from the state and the Cal Vet program paid my way through UC Berkeley. Watching him battle the VA every step of the way to get treated for PTSD, inability to take on any physical work due to fused ankle and back (fell 30 feet from a helicopter during firefight extraction) and Agent Orange exposure was very eye opening for my sister and I as kids. Very thankful to graduate debt free, but it all took a toll on him and he ended up dying of liver cirrhosis at 53.

My grandfather served in WWII, Korea, and Nam. I had two uncles that also did two tours in Nam. All four of them implored my mom to not let me enlist and go the college route instead.

Always stocked to hear the positive experiences people have in the armed services. A lot of kids not cut out or interested in college around here choose the Coast Guard route which seems to open a lot of doors in desirable locations.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Anybody hear anything about his current condition? Been a while.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
so is he still hanging on/ able to breathe on his own, or did he pass? I feel like there would have been some tributes or something from the surf world and his friends...

Reactions: Havoc

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
They did a sh!t job w the Sunny angle. Films can take A long while to release for various reasons - but something like this they should have clear that this was 2017, or whenever- a lil voice over, an info box or or whatever

Reactions: Tarab_ish