RIP Larry McMurtry

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Yep. And as happens so often, the book is way better than the mini series. And the mini series is one of the best ever. So that's saying something. Even better is the audio book, narrated by Lee Horsley.

Reactions: Aruka

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Mcmurty was a writer my dad turned me on to.

His death triggered me.

It's weird how deaths of some people you don't know can do that.

David Bowie did that to me.

Which was a surprise.

Tom Petty did to which wasn't a surprise.

Who will die next?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Larry McMurtry is my literary hero. He was two years younger than my grandmother and they grew up in adjacent small towns in Texas that shared a high school. When my grandmother passed away in 2008 he came to her funeral and I got to meet him. He told me there is a character in The Last Picture Show that is based on my grandmother, but wouldn't say which one.

RIP Mr. McMurtry and thank you

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One of the things that Ang brings to all of his projects is his deep sense of being a double exile, an outsider's outsider.

Members of the Academy are mostly urban people. We are an urban nation. We are not a rural nation. It's not easy even to get a rural story made.

True maturity is only reached when a man realizes he has become a father figure to his girlfriends' boyfriends - and he accepts it.

Incompetents invariably make trouble for people other than themselves.

Backward is just not a natural direction for Americans to look - historical ignorance remains a national characteristic.

Self-parody is the first portent of age.

If we know anything about man, it's that he's not pacific. The temptation to butcher anyone considered undesirable seems to be a common temptation, not always resisted.

No illusion is more crucial than the illusion that great success and huge money buy you immunity from the common ills of mankind, such as cars that won't start.

Reactions: huryanpost