RIP Kalani David

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
That's really sad. It was an ongoing issue for him for a number of years. The story below is from five years ago. Kalani was one of the top young talents from the youth surfing scene in that age group along with Griffin Colopinto and Kanoa Igarashi. Same age as my oldest. Prayers for his parents. :(

Last edited:

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
A handful of friends chipped in to bring over Dreamland Skateparks to build the big bowl at the Cholo’s (Mexican Food) compound in 2004. BTW the bowl just turned 18.

Within a few weeks of completion Kalani and his dad David were regulars. I’ve known Kalani since he was 6 years old. He’d jump out of the truck with all his pads and Evel Knievel helmet on and skate with who ever was sessioning.

Kalani looked like the character Timmy Lupus from Bad News Bear. One day I asked PK if he remembers the Bad News Bears movie. The original one ( @bonzer5fin is in). PK replies it’s the only one worth mentioning. I point to Kalani and go Timmy Lupus. Kalani was called Timmy from there on for awhile. He did an interview when he was probably 10 and in the stats it said nicknames and he listed Timmy Lupus. Haha.

I hadn’t seen Kalani in years but a couple weeks back I was skating Kapolei and one of the ripper kids was skating with another ripper I didn’t recognize. I rolled over and heckled KJ and rolled back to where the old men hang and asked whose the ripper. Tony goes that’s Kalani. No way. I skate back over and we laugh and he gives me a big hug and we share stories with KJ including the one above.

A week later saw him surfing Bowls with Seth Moniz. Another big hug and more catching up.

I’m so glad I got to reconnect surf and skate with him before his horrible passing.

RIP Kalani.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
What was the medical issues he was dealing with?
Always wondered why he never seemed to blow up as a sponsored free surfer after seeing his skill as a grom. The guy was so talented.
RIP

Reactions: john4surf

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Reactions: oeste858

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Such a bummer.
Kalani was never not a nice kid.

I remember hearing about his seizure at Prince Park in Oceanside years back. David David must me devastated.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
RIP. Such a big talent.

Perhaps it was an unavoidable fate, but once again I'm left wondering who is guiding these guys. He posted just a few weeks ago that his seizures were getting worse and acknowledged how dangerous it was to be surfing.