Rincon Classic

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Was talking with a friend at work this morning about it and I realized that even though I enjoy watching them on a screen, I've never been to a surf contest.

Don't really feel like i'm missing out though.

No, I will not be attending. Surf should be really good though.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
Boneroni said:
Was talking with a friend at work this morning about it and I realized that even though I enjoy watching them on a screen, I've never been to a surf contest.

Don't really feel like i'm missing out though.

No, I will not be attending. Surf should be really good though.
contests are boring to watch in person. the heats you're interested in watching go by super quick, but the ones you're not paying so much attention to drag on. To me it's even tougher to watch a contest when the surf is good cause I'd rather go surf myself somewhere away from the contest.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
stu dog said:
To me it's even tougher to watch a contest when the surf is good cause I'd rather go surf myself somewhere away from the contest.
Seriously! If I have the time to be sitting on the beach doing nothing but watching, I have the time to be surfing. Hmmm, wonder which one I'd rather do... :roflmao:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I'm kind of in the same boat. I watched a prime at lowers about 5 years ago. Firing. Didn't bring a board cause I thought it would be a total sh!t show. In between contest waves I couldn't help but notice the uncrowded conditions in between lowers and Church and it looked really fun. I was like wtf am I doing?

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
do they clear the whole lineup for 6 man heats?
around here lots of times theyll hold a contest and nobody gets outta the water for it

Apr 22, 2014
They always have water patrol to keep out interlopers (not always successful), but it's a true locals' contest, so most surfers respect that. This year they are running in the cove rather than up at the rivermouth, so free surfers will have a lot of room up top. Waves will be fun, especially on Sunday.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
pagey said:
They always have water patrol to keep out interlopers (not always successful), but it's a true locals' contest, so most surfers respect that. This year they are running in the cove rather than up at the rivermouth, so free surfers will have a lot of room up top. Waves will be fun, especially on Sunday.
surreal.

you're sitting at the top of the cove with 100+ surfers up the point fighting like hell to catch waves and then as each wave approaches your spot in the line-up the surfer riding it has to exit so you can catch it.

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I think I'm gonna enter try to enter this event next year. Looks like 18+ gets a 20 minute heat. Hmmmm...... could be worth it.

39 y/o and never surfed in a contest. Could be a fun. :shrug:

Apr 22, 2014
obslop said:
pagey said:
surreal.

you're sitting at the top of the cove with 100+ surfers up the point fighting like hell to catch waves and then as each wave approaches your spot in the line-up the surfer riding it has to exit so you can catch it.
True. Not the best weekend to surf Rincon if you aren't in the contest. No parking anyway.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Yesterday was totally firing, as always, Chris put on a great event.
Interesting watching it in the cove.
Cool deal for the kids too, pick up 5 pieces of trash and get some SWAG.

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
My wife and I were sitting at Rincon Brewery in Carp yesterday when one of the waitresses told us that someone had nearly drowned during the contest. Word is that he was under water for several minutes but they were able to revive him. Does anybody have info on this?

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
SrPato said:
My wife and I were sitting at Rincon Brewery in Carp yesterday when one of the waitresses told us that someone had nearly drowned during the contest. Word is that he was under water for several minutes but they were able to revive him. Does anybody have info on this?
Wow, missed that one, glad they are OK.
Wouldn't surprise me, the current was ripping, we watched a couple of hours in the AM and bailed around 10