Ribby Rash Guard

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Has anyone used the Ribby rash guard?

I just got back from a two week tropical surf trip, this time I was prepared with some Headhunter rash lubricant and two different rash guards with 0.5mil chest panels. Still got the nasty sores/scabs on the two spots right below my bottom ribs, my two touch point while paddling; at this point I have scarring from many trips over the years, just cannot seem to find a solution.
-Home surf break is always a wetsuit: 3/2 up to 6/5
-Grew up surfing in Florida and never got these

So any thoughts on Ribby or a similar style of product?

Gracias

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
My buddy's dad uses one - or something like it - and swears by it. Saves his protruding ribs from constant sores/pain and doesn't look all that lame.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffRSpicoli

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
3 weeks for me , my ribs are toasted . What is this Ribby guard ? Is it like an impact vest?
Seems to me like it is a logical design to protect rib area from bruising, which I don't get, I just get a nasty rub rash and I think this will work for it.

Reactions: santacruzin

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The problem with those rash roll-ons like head hunter is that they make your board super slippery. Fresh water rinse off as soon as possible after surfing and shower with anti-bacterial soap as soon as possible. Keep wax along your rails to a minimum to avoid getting rash on inner thighs. If you get rash treat it with extra strength athlete's foot cream. (Don't knock it til you try it. Seems to work really well for surf rashes)

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzld1

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Yo here are two products I've purchased to see if they will help the issue:
-white one is Ribby
-black/grey is RibRocket

RibRocket seems like the superior product, I live in cold water climate so maybe by end of summer I can do some R&D.
Both have tie strings to attach to your board shorts.

Attachments

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Bruised my ribs somehow once and got a rib rocket. Worked really well. Didn't have to use it for very long before my ribs recovered. Probably would have taken much longer to recover without it.

Reactions: JeffRSpicoli