Rib pain while paddling

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
For the first time this week, I felt a bit of pain at times while paddling. It only occurs on the left side of my rib cage, a few inches below the bottom of the sternum at the end of the ribs. It is a bit of a sudden shooting pain, like a rib was trying to poke back into me, which goes away fairly quickly after readjusting my torso a little bit. Paddling more from my chest seems to cause it to happen less. Any ideas?

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I had something similar where I surfed a long stretch of consecutive days in a row. I think fatigue probably contributed to it at the time. The doc told me my rib & cartilage pulled apart and was inflamed. Took a few months to recover for me and wasnt much fun. I remember every sneeze or cough felt like it was setting my recovery time back. Afterwards I started focusing more on keeping my body more inline when paddling. Minimizing the side to side movements and it never came back.

Reactions: Ricknj and urchined

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
What surf doc said. I spent a few decades with one of my left side lower ribs dangling freely. Learn to live with it or quit surfing.

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
Lose weight.
I'm trying to gain weight, any tips on that besides GOMAD?

Ribs felt slightly better this week. Paid attention to maintaining good posture while sitting at the desk at work, was slouching last week.

Ricknj

OTF status
Feb 29, 2008
nj
I had something similar where I surfed a long stretch of consecutive days in a row. I think fatigue probably contributed to it at the time. The doc told me my rib & cartilage pulled apart and was inflamed. Took a few months to recover for me and wasnt much fun. I remember every sneeze or cough felt like it was setting my recovery time back. Afterwards I started focusing more on keeping my body more inline when paddling. Minimizing the side to side movements and it never came back.
Had same thing was awful got it after a surf trip spending many hrs surfing ribs were sore then surfing at home few days later on a wipe out the pain intensified, could barely get my suit off thought I broke a rib, took about 6 months to recover as well. couldn't do hardly anything training wise except road bike..

RTP

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 10, 2010
On top of what you normally eat, eat a cup of nuts over the course of the day, every day, until you reach your desired level of padding.
Instructions unclear, added 10+ lbs of padding, but it all went to the wrong places. Boards duckdive great though.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof and SurfDoc

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Lose weight.
back in my skinnier younger days (6'1" @ 155-160) used to get a bunch of rib pain without a wetsuit, adding the lbs actually gave some extra cushion around the middle.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ -that was what I was alluding to by eating extra healthy calories

Being on the slimmer side, and tending to not surf very much from April through Sept, first two/three weeks back in the drink towards end of Sept/beginning of Oct, always get some tender ribs.

Eventually the pain/irritation goes away as the season turns on.

Have noticed that as I get older, takes longer for the body to adapt and toughen up.....no mystery there.