rib cage pain

Aug 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
say doc,<BR>i'll give you the best explaination i can, and we'll see if your comments are any different from everything else i've read.<P>i have some rib pain that started about six weeks ago and hasn't resided completely. when it took me out of the water, it had gotten worse gradually until i couldn't take the pain anymore. so i rested for three weeks before i went out. the pain did reside significantly, but after i surfed it acted up again. so i decided to play it safe and rest for two more weeks. then i went out yesterday. and now it hurts more than it did when it started. it seems that just when i think its healed enough to surf, it goes off on me.<P>should i see a doctor for this? i had this injury last year and the X-Rays were negative for fractures. which obviously tells me its muscular. but last year i rested a whole two months instead of periodic surf sessions during the resting period.

James W

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester
Visit site
is the pain sharp or dull?<BR>do you feel discomfort when takin a deep breath?<BR>Does it hurt when you make certain motions but is otherwise just fine?<P><BR>

Aug 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
umm, its pretty sharp. it doesn't really hurt when i breathe deep or move anymore. only when i lay on my stomach. especially when its a hard surface. and then breifly when i lay on my back (thats pretty weird to me), then it goes away after a few seconds.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Rib pains can have many factors. Trauma, infection, immune disorders, lung collapse, adhesions/scarring, and of course good old sprains strains and aches!<P>If you've had it this many times for so long it deserves another checkup with your local surf doc. Have you tried anything for it? Stretching? Tylenol or advil? Ice or heat?

Aug 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
hey doc,<P>i haven't tried any ice or heat. i'm a film student, so i have ZERO time to sit and ice my body. i know thats an excuse, but usually the pain resides with aleeve, some days a lot, others not so much. i do stretch it though. it hurts a little when i do, but i read on anther surf BB that stretching it (smartly of course) REALLY helps shorten the down time. but then again, the film industry will cause me to have more down time than this injury ever will...<P>thanks tylerindo. surgery is NOT something i need right now.<P>phrase of the day: TAKE IT EASY!