RETURN OF THE QUAD

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
I love quads n ride em in everything except at a couple spots around here that are short and intense-n end up out running the wave. Really only time I’ the thruster thing

Some observations:

They are the most finicky to set up as a “magic board”

Very sensitive to fin changes, much more so than thrusters.
Can go from a dud to stud w a fin change.

Rears on the rails vs closer to the stringer are very different feeling

For long/deep barrels they’re the best IMO- they’ll let you “float” over the foam ball, fast of course, and able to hold/keep a very high line in der barrel as well.
Agree about fin choice. I recently YOLO'd a Radio Quad fish. Had an handful of so so sessions. Put it aside for a bit then decided to try the Album Fascination quad set love in my Manta. The board just lit up. Night and day difference.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm gonna forecast no on quads making a return. Sure, quads have a dedicated place (certain boards and guns). But I personally don't see much value compared to twins and thrusters.

I think we still have some very real mileage to go on the twin fin exploration. Some of the twins are getting really really good and I think folks will stay focused on pushing that envelope for some time across board/wave types.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I'm gonna forecast no on quads making a return. Sure, quads have a dedicated place (certain boards and guns). But I personally don't see much value compared to twins and thrusters.

I think we still have some very real mileage to go on the twin fin exploration. Some of the twins are getting really really good and I think folks will stay focused on pushing that envelope for some time across board/wave types.
GG prob turning over in his grave if he’s able to read that comment on twins.

Thrusters are the worst thing that ever happened to surfboards… there, I said it.

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
i have a couple quad shorboards I ride here and there. I had a magic fin setup going a few years ago, but haven't been able to replicate it recently after switching from fcs to futures. Now I'm always hesitant to jump on my quads cuz dialing in the fins is such an expensive pain in the ass

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Maybe HPSB with five fin boxes is the reason that people find quads finicky. I tried my Ghost as a quad with many different setups and never liked it. My dedicated quads are great in most waves.

But a tight, bowly pocket and I'm taking my one remaining thruster or twin.
yep. 5 fins were put out there to sell boards. So you can have a board tuned to work as a thruster, or tuned to work as a quad….or not quite work as either.

Reactions: cmogenic and jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
in ya'lls opinion what would the difference be between good quad fin placement and the sub optimal 5-fin setups? are the front fins of a "good" quad placement placed further forward or backward than thruster front fins?

i've had a few boards that worked great as both quad and thruster (mostly stamps) but plenty that definitely felt good as thrusters and not great as quads.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
The Bourtons I had were all close 11.5“ to 12” for the fronts…he was similar to McKee for trailer placement, maybe a tiny bit closer to the rail. They felt a bit faster than the McKee setup and for me at least, favoured smaller single foiled rears. Sometimes GL small.

edit I mainly plugged boards for the McKee 5 fin setup, so the thrusters were already in (usually)

I loved my dedicated quads but I don’t think I would’ve without the ability to make fins for them.….like a few sets of different trailers for each board. I honestly don’t know how guys can get Futures quad setups going well without a million bucks worth of fins. Just the ability to cut 1/4” from an fcs tab makes a world of difference sometimes.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Maybe HPSB with five fin boxes is the reason that people find quads finicky. I tried my Ghost as a quad with many different setups and never liked it. My dedicated quads are great in most waves.

But a tight, bowly pocket and I'm taking my one remaining thruster or twin.
I’m with ya- I believe quad rear boxes are thrown on thruster designs as almost an after thought w a number of shapers.

Small changes make a big diff.

The shapers I know that have spent a lot of time on quads typically design quad board w a bit less tail rocker, less or no late tail rocker bend/flip as well a wider tai/back end. & they spent a bunch of time dialing fin placement.

I design my boards as quads n include a 5th box mostly bc they’re easier to sell that way. They typically go fine as a thruster - i always run large fronts w a medium or small rear fin.

I ride a twin mostly now in quick/intense/hollow wedging conditions. go to boar is a 5’10 w fins at 7.5” around 2.5” tail rocker n 4.25“ nose. It craves the pocket in hollow waves.

Reactions: Clamsmasher and jkb