Retiring to panama, pacific side

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I’m intrigued. I could probably unload the possessions and heirlooms, buy a big lot near the beach build a house. Anyone done it?

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
seems the ex-pats favor Panama City. i guess for tax reasons.
One benefit is there is a wealth of surf within an hour or two flight.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Looked into it extensively recently. Seems like the gov there is actually interested in attracting foreigners through well thought out incentive programs.

Based on how easy I was able to set up a reforestation proj in CR on a shoestring budget I would recommend it to anyone. Your property = passive income generation eventually and your doing a good thing for Panama and the earth as long as you plant the right trees = native hardwoods.
Teak does not = reforestation :(

July 11, 2018
The reforestation investment residency permit allows the applicant to obtain first a provisional residency permit, for two years, to later become eligible to a permanent residency permit. The main requirement is to own at least five hectares of government-approved reforested land. This means that the land should already have a given plantation, seeded and arranged accordingly to our environmental regulations. The plot of land should be of at least five hectares, with a minimum investment of USD $80,000. An additional investment of $2,000 will be required per dependent. Land may be owned personally or under a company. In the case of the latter, further documents will be required. This is the lowest investment option there is to apply for a permanent residency status in Panama.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Sweet! Found some big inexpensive tree-ready fincas right in the Pedasi region, with a wide variety of surf nearby.
They’re capable of producing income sooner than you think. As you thin out your initial plantings your gonna be able to sell that wood locally for rancho construction etc.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The biggest key to success is finding a good foreman, ie someone familiar with the local hardwood species. We got the majority of our seeds and nursery stock from the jungle for free (stuff that had little chance of growing to maturity).

Other than that expenditures were basic tree farm sh!t. Lots of plastic grow bags, shovels and machetes, shade cloth for the nursery, etc.

https://www.timberresourcemanagement.com/en/products#

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Looked into it extensively recently. Seems like the gov there is actually interested in attracting foreigners through well thought out incentive programs.

Based on how easy I was able to set up a reforestation proj in CR on a shoestring budget I would recommend it to anyone. Your property = passive income generation eventually and your doing a good thing for Panama and the earth as long as you plant the right trees = native hardwoods.
Teak does not = reforestation :(

July 11, 2018
The reforestation investment residency permit allows the applicant to obtain first a provisional residency permit, for two years, to later become eligible to a permanent residency permit. The main requirement is to own at least five hectares of government-approved reforested land. This means that the land should already have a given plantation, seeded and arranged accordingly to our environmental regulations. The plot of land should be of at least five hectares, with a minimum investment of USD $80,000. An additional investment of $2,000 will be required per dependent. Land may be owned personally or under a company. In the case of the latter, further documents will be required. This is the lowest investment option there is to apply for a permanent residency status in Panama.

So you are generating the income by selling the native hardwood lumber, correct?

What kind of returns per HA/year?

Edit: Looks like you answered my first question already, but curious to hear what kind of money you expect to make

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
So you are generating the income by selling the native hardwood lumber, correct?

What kind of returns per HA/year?

Edit: Looks like you answered my first question already, but curious to hear what kind of money you expect to make
As always I’m going to refer you to someone more qualified than me to answer your question.
Im just the dude who realized tree farms are rad/not rocket science and convinced another dude that’s what I though he should do and I could oversee it/live in shack in the jungle while surfing my brains out.

If for some reason you ever need to bail on things trees in the ground increase property values.
The longer your time horizons are the better. Sustainably grown tropical hardwood is money.

I’m no Econ bitch but I think this what’s known as a value added product?
$9K Table made from Panamanian wood (zapatero).
1599326745950.jpeg

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Found it. 13.3 hectares for 133k, 2 Clicks from the beach near Pedasi. Ample natural water Supply. Just begging to be planted with Panamanian native hardwoods. Build A ranch home, A handful of guest suite cottages,, a big shaded yoga palapa, and we have a winner

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
As always I’m going to refer you to someone more qualified than me to answer your question.
Im just the dude who realized tree farms are rad/not rocket science and convinced another dude that’s what I though he should do and I could oversee it/live in shack in the jungle while surfing my brains out.

If for some reason you ever need to bail on things trees in the ground increase property values.
The longer your time horizons are the better. Sustainably grown tropical hardwood is money.

I’m no Econ bitch but I think this what’s known as a value added product?
$9K Table made from Panamanian wood (zapatero).
View attachment 97336

Yeah I hear you on the value added aspect. Furniture markups seem crazy, although I'm not sure I'd want to be in the business of selling it. If it was relatively easy to sell the wood for decent markup, I'd be all over it.

Reactions: Chocki

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Even if selling Timber doesn’t make much or any money, I employ a bunch of local experts and farm workers, and live comfortably with my wife and be a part of making a small little piece of the planet just a little bit better, and make all our money on yoga retreats :roflmao:

Reactions: racer1 and $kully

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Even if selling Timber doesn’t make much or any money, I employ a bunch of local experts and farm workers, and live comfortably with my wife and be a part of making a small little piece of the planet just a little bit better, and make all our money on yoga retreats :roflmao:
i don’t know nothin’ about growing trees, but i wonder if you could grow brazilian rosewood or santos palisander in that climate?

sell it to h.miller or knoll for bigbucks...

most likely not, or maybe they take 75 years
to grow before you can harvest...?

Reactions: $kully

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
There is an approved list of native hardwoods you can plant, including a native mahogany. All in high demand globally. Forget Madison Avenue I want to be a sustainable fair trade support the local community tropical hardwood plantation owner

Reactions: afoaf

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I was just thinking how you could get hippies to pay you to work on your farm.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and grapedrink