retire early to travel and surf around the world

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I started having kids at 22 with a short summer semester left before getting my bachelors degree. My wife’s was in retail at the time. A financial disaster of a start, except we had no debt. As my salary increased, my wife shortened her hours to be able to stay home with the kids. Again, financial disaster for years, but little to no childcare costs.
Years later, we’re financially doing well
But the bad financial start hurt us as far as planning and saving for retirement
I love that people I know talk about retiring early
I don’t know that I’ll ever be able to live off interest from what I save. Like, ever
If anyone has great ideas on how to catch up, let me know
Until then, I’ll continue to live vicariously, or at least enjoy the the awesome retirements stories while working for as long as I’m able
If I’m having fun while working, it’s no big deal
cowabunga
rg

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I started having kids at 22 with a short summer semester left before getting my bachelors degree. My wife’s was in retail at the time. A financial disaster of a start, except we had no debt. As my salary increased, my wife shortened her hours to be able to stay home with the kids. Again, financial disaster for years, but little to no childcare costs.
But the bad financial start hurt us as far as planning and saving for retirement
I don’t know that I’ll ever be able to live off interest from what I save. Like, ever
Until then, I’ll continue to live vicariously, or at least enjoy the the awesome retirements stories while working for as long as I’m able
cowabunga
rg
Start reading. Warren Buffett, John Bogle and Ben Stein (Bueller?) have not let me down yet. Stein’s “How To Really Ruin Your Financial Life and Portfolio” is a good place to start and worth passing along to the kids along with Peter Lynch’s “Learn To Earn”.

Last edited:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I think Grapedrink is correct. The traveling costs plus lodging would eat up cash pretty quick.

If you are on a tight budget a small sailboat seems to me to be the best option. Something sturdy and simple. Also the plus would be that you could get to places to surf that you wouldn't get to otherwise.

I watched a Youtube video posted recently about a couple on a small (30') sailboat who visited the Tuamotus and Vanuatu and the surf they found.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think people should take extended trips to see how they like it.

The idea of traveling can be sweeter than actually doing it.

Reactions: Ricknj

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think Grapedrink is correct. The traveling costs plus lodging would eat up cash pretty quick.
Lodging can be very economical in many countries. Even in countries like France you can rent apartments close to the beach in non-summer months for very reasonable prices. The more you move away from traditional hotels into longer term rentals, things get a lot more affordable.

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
enjoy it while your young being old plain sucks very few people surf into old age even if they have the time physical sh!t comes up

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Reactions: Autoprax

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
My mother has been deeply involved in the eldercare business in Hawaii for 20+ years. She has been a broker that helps people navigate the process of aging from insurance to at home care to everything involved. People in general do not plan well for aging.

If you don't plan for the financial end of life stuff that will probably happen, you are probably screwed and your kids will probably be screwed. I've thought a lot about this - enjoy life now with the possibility of having a terrible last chapter, or enjoy life *mostly* now and be mostly prepared for what might come, or make a sacrifice having fun now vs. giving my kid a chance for an easier life.... Ah, who the fck knows? I got NO answers.

Reactions: Muscles and Chocki

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That was a good juxataption of imagery..

At first I wondered if he just spit this stuff out but I sense that he worked that poem a lot to get it that way.

I wonder how much that poem rings true for a young guy.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My mother has been deeply involved in the eldercare business in Hawaii for 20+ years. She has been a broker that helps people navigate the process of aging from insurance to at home care to everything involved. People in general do not plan well for aging.

If you don't plan for the financial end of life stuff that will probably happen, you are probably screwed and your kids will probably be screwed. I've thought a lot about this - enjoy life now with the possibility of having a terrible last chapter, or enjoy life *mostly* now and be mostly prepared for what might come, or make a sacrifice having fun now vs. giving my kid a chance for an easier life.... Ah, who the fck knows? I got NO answers.

The "golden years" suck.

They are shitty any way you spin it.

There is NOTHING good about getting old.

Especially if you're active.

Your body is fucking deteriorating.

And once you are on coumadin or whatever anticoagulant so many people inevitably end up taking to keep from dying you can forget about doing anything really fun, including surfing.

Nevermind the other shitty stuff that happens to old people...loss of vision, cancer, arthritis, bad heart, etc.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My days of stand-up surfing are numbered - bad back. Gotta start the SUP or maybe be a dick dragger - still can have fun.

My days of skiing bumps are loooong gone - bad back. Gotta shred some pow - still can have fun.

My days of sailing Lasers are over - bad back. Gotta go out on my buddie's big boat. Still can have fun.

My days of rock climbing are done - bad back. Gotta go hike to the top - still can have fun.

My days of pounding trails on the mountain bike are over - bad back. Gotta hit the road bike - still can have fun.

Casa is right - getting old sucks, no doubt. But if you work hard to stay in good shape and have a positive mindset, and place a high prioity on having fun, you can continue vigorous and fun activities well into your 70s or even longer. It is possible to stay stoked as an old fart.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
just surfed good 6 ft nias w my kid and a crew of 4 others for 7 hrs - on 2nd beer my 13 yr old girl is charging and we are living simple smiling life - anything better than good empty surf or a happy teenage daughter?

easy life
worth it all

Reactions: Chocki

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
cowabunga
rg
I'm looking forward to grandfathering.

I think that will be fun.

Jul 26, 2019
so the big $ cost if you retire early seems to be healthcare. How do you all plan on getting and paying for healthcare when you aren't with a job that pays for it? Isn't cobra like 300/mo or something. That will eat into your nestegg pretty fast.

Reactions: Ricknj

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
so the big $ cost if you retire early seems to be healthcare. How do you all plan on getting and paying for healthcare when you aren't with a job that pays for it? Isn't cobra like 300/mo or something. That will eat into your nestegg pretty fast.
IIRC its way more than that, unfortunately. Which is why I plan to spend at least 6 months of the year abroad, take care of medical needs while abroad, and try to avoid going to the doctor while in the states. There are travel health insurance policies you can use in the states that are much cheaper, although they aren't designed for comprehensive care.