Rest In Peace Brother Larry (surfwordz)

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
I hadn't checked on this thread since it was made sticky and man you guys got me all choked up.

I wish I would have gotten to know Larry better. He was surely one of a kind and cut from a different cloth.

But I must say, all of you who have posted their sentiments on this thread are special people as well! It takes a good person to know one and Larry touched all of you in a unique way and you made a place in your heart for him.

If only he could know what a legacy he left just by that lasting impression in our hearts.

I'll always try to remember how Larry persevered through tough times when I'm down and out, sick, or injured. That ability to keep on pushin and keep the aloha spirit alive is special and something I hope I can do when the time comes.

Rest In Love Larry, your legacy lives on!

23rdstMB

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Nov 14, 2002
Home
This one hurts. Such a good guy and positive soul. I recently had a few conversations over DM and I knew he was hurting but as Larry does he never let on... Tried to go see him a couple weeks ago....man I wish I did.

So many great stories that I remember him writing... His wordz were so special! RIP

Reactions: PPK96754

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Still haven't come to terms with this, I still catch myself daydreaming of visiting Larry one day and catching Waves together, meeting his family and just chilling out hanging with my brother from another island mother

Reactions: r32

surf cat

Jan 14, 2002
Howzit Dale brah :)

Hey thanks again man. I can't even describe how nice this thing is. Its super fast compared to the last computer I had. It actually makes it fun to use no waiting around for the page to finish loading or just freeze up altogether yeah? Right on, brah! :)

you know, I actually have a carry case for it that will fit and the mouse is minor I can pick one up at the store, but thanks for the offer though seriously. Im so excited to use this man! Gotta learn how to post pics again too. I meant to post last night but me and Clay surfed till dark. We scored a nice left with no-one out. It was kinda spooky next to a river mouth of a big bay, but it was glassy and pretty consistent super fun.

Gotta drive the other side of island again today to take my daughter to dr office and then gotta work at 5pm but I'm a write up something cuz I haven't posted in a while and I gotta wriite some stuff down before I forget yeah? brah once again I can't even thank you enough Dale brah! Oh yeah, I promise no surgery or scar pics haha!!! God bless you, thank you for being such a wonderful human being brah..mahalo and Aloha! :)

Like Reply

[IMG alt="surf cat"]https://forum.surfer.com/data/avatars/m/0/281.jpg?1566994879[/IMG]
surf cat

Oct 16, 2017
:bowdown: I've led a charmed live surfing over 14 thousand daze I didn't do it alone I had a lot of help from my friends and "strangers"
I just seems like the Hawaiian way to help and share I was taught Aloha means ~ shared breath

We may never meet but I feel like I know you through your posts ~ what better way to get to know you better that sharing a computer?

I admire Clay to the max in a tiny way I get to "know" him through your friendship Say Aloha to Brent for me !

All the Best Daily I took my 6~8 out today and had a blast thinking of you Aloha

[IMG alt="surfwordz"]https://forum.surfer.com/data/avatars/m/2/2055.jpg?1566994879[/IMG]
surfwordz
Miki Dora status

Oct 18, 2017
Howzit Dale brah :)

Been a little busy the past few days. Things are finally getting back to being normal again around home. I'm really glad to be working again and possibly have another job but still waiting to hear if I got it or not. I'm at work right now doing a graveyard shift from 11pm to 6am then I gotta drive to the other side of the island to the hospital where I start my Radiation treatments at 1 pm then drive back and go work at 4pm (takes at least an hour to get home, even more if get traffic). There's probably gonna be waves on the drive and I know if I bring my board I'm gonna surf. Maybe it'll refresh me for work? I know if I don't bring it the waves will be firing so what to do? When in doubt paddle out, yeah?

Brah, someday we all gonna surf together for real, brah!

Really, man. I can't wait to meet you brah and thank you in person. My wife is super stoked on it gave me some brownie points with her brah! Next time I see Brento-San I'll tell him you said howzit, li'dat ok. So sleepy right now and still have 3 more hours to go.

Aloha and mahalo, my friend! :)

Like Reply

[IMG alt="surf cat"]https://forum.surfer.com/data/avatars/m/0/281.jpg?1566994879[/IMG]
surf cat

Oct 18, 2017
It makes my eyes water just thinking about what I finely did after thinking about for a long time
money is a funny thing... who sez money can't buy happiness?
I watched my boss ~ the principle at the school I work use her ipad air and now I want one too
I hope you can find a job that gives you more rest and more waves
looking forward to more surfwordz , surfwordz !
I like the 'short hand' for 'be positive'....."B +"
all the best
daily

[IMG alt="surfwordz"]https://forum.surfer.com/data/avatars/m/2/2055.jpg?1566994879[/IMG]
surfwordz
Miki Dora status

Oct 19, 2017
Yeah brah :)

Money sucks! Turns people into weirdos. I'd much rather have time, oh and lots of surfboards too yeah haha :) I was able to sleep a few hours before driving the other side of the island for my doctor appointment. Not too stocked they said no surfy during 6 weeks of external Radiation treatments brah so not cool. Super stocked right now though because I just got off the phone with Marzo he's gonna pick me up super early to go surf on the other side of the island again. It's really windy and it's gonna be solid on the eastside again. Once again Clay knows where to be to get the best and biggest waves. I'm at work right now but I promise I'll post up as soon as I get some time. Mahalo Dale! Aloha! :)

Like Reply

surf cat

Oct 19, 2017
I really admire Clay... searching for the most challenging waves. At my age I need a bigger board to catch bigger waves
I call the boards Clay rides 'maximum minimum ' boards you have to be an fearless expert with total faith in your ability to duck dive

I perfected a technique for rolling waves I call it the 'path of less resistance' basically when you hold on the nose~ the rest of the board will follow... I 'tip (half way) over' hold on to the nose ( down words )with the rail pointing 90o straight up(and down) to have the least resistance ~ the rail slices through the wave/white water... after impact the top hand slips back the board tips back ...a kick to slip on to the board... resume paddling

LOL if you are going to be dry docked maybe I should have sent a camera too?

surfwordz
Miki Dora status

Oct 20, 2017
Ho Dale :)

brah we went early this morning again. it was just as we suspected. Bombing but manageable it looked super fun but I didn't even surf. Instead I had to deal with the hugest bunch of crap imaginable . Not even 5 minutes after we pulled up to check the waves, I got a call from my wife saying she hadn't paid the car payment the last two months and that they might be repo our car. long story short I just couldn't paddle out so I watched and filmed Clay with my iPhone. He got so many good ones I felt like such a kook for not paddling out.

I had Clay drop me off at home then went to the bank then to Longs Drugs to send MoneyGram to Ford Credit to stop repossession order.It all turned out ok at the end of the day but really bummed didn't get in the water, yeah? Clays brother Cheyene Magnussen just got in so we all might go surf in the morning. Im off on sat/sun gonna try post up, li`dat :)

Aloha! :)

Like Reply

surf cat

Oct 20, 2017
:shrug: I've forgotten to mail a bill before ~ :foreheadslap: I hate when that happens ...

with all the fires, floods ,huracanes ,earthquakes I can not believe people still making payments on things that aren't"here" anymore

I spin out sometimes just wondering how you are suposed to pay for healthcare when you are too hurt to work?!
I just started using my dental insurance to clean up my teeth this month... the way it is rigged I have to get $2,000 worth of work by the end of the year... or lose it
When I start to imagine your injures I can't help but think ~ "Thank God for medical science"

B + daily

surf cat

Jan 14, 2002
The one thing I wanted to ask Surfwordz was a question about. The injury that started it all?

Can anyone remember the cut that never healed?

I plan to ask our friend Brent to ask Clay.

Last edited:
  • Love

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Dale ~
God bless You Sir for bringing these chosen letters of communication between You and Larry to The erBB community. Reading through these letters most certainly made me smile yet still feel a great loss for never having the opportunity to meeting Larry.
Your commitment in being "a good bruddah" to Larry just shows your love for others who need a helping hand.
Be well. Be vigilant. Stay safe.
Mahalo Nui Loa with Love and Aloha from Kauai's north shore ~
Peter20151207_100614.jpg

Dale & YCBS at the Haleiwa Cafe racking up breakfast goodies on bonzerB5's credit card. :roflmao:
photo: PPK

Last edited:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
anyone else remember the kidz book he wrote?
he was stocked on surfing and on life
He was one of a kind
my heart goes out to Lydia and all whose life he was part of
Rest In Peace, my friend
About a year ago I got Larry's address from b.r. and sent him a check to help with his medical expenses and a letter and some East Coast surf stickers - he talked about a book that he needed $975 for to get published. Maybe we could chip in and get that done somehow?

Surfwordz
Aug 23, 2019
Hey howzit PJ :)

I received the letter you sent me and I really want to thank you so much for that seriously. So stocked to get actual 4 to 5 page letter brah its unreal, I never get letters longer than a few words so I really appreciate it I totally loved the stories behind each sticker. My brothers Joel and Emerson Timmins are from Del Ray Beach but now live here, they used to send me stickers from back on the east cost like Fox and Spectrum surfboards. Sorry I haven't been on the erBB too much lately. Been really up and down lately where ill have some good days and then some really bad days. only have one more immunotherapy session next week and then possibly surgery to remove the tumor and put a skin graph on my scar that won't heal because of the chemo. Im gonna beat this. I started a new thing last week where I'm trying to alkalize my body drinking pure lime and citrus magnesium drink along with a bunch of vitamins B and D also liquid chlorophyll extract, I add it to the green drink , plus Im not eating meat or eggs or sugar for about 8 months now. Practicing breathing excersizes and visualizing wellness. I want to surf so bad its been a year now since I've surd and its really driving my nuts and also motivating me to try anything I can to beat this. The past few weeks were some of the worst ever painwise and anxiety too, but lucky Clay Marzo has been calling me up every day to hang out with him and shoot baskets/pick fruit and just cruise. He lives right up the street from me so I've been over there a lot lately . He just went to the Mainland for 4days to do something about an auction I think. I was at his house right before he left and he pulled out the most beautiful 7'10" gun by SUPER Brand. He's all"here brah , its yours!" He was just kidding around, but he had me for a second. Anyways, I thank you brah, from the bottom of my heart braH seriously. It really came in handy , still getting the runaround from disability and SS. I still haven't got any checks in the mail yet, but I have the nurse from Hospise helping me get it all in. Brah if you ever need anything, help or even just borrow a board if you ever come to Maui, I got you covered ok, just let me know ahead so I can get you something decent to ride. Mahalo again and Aloha! :)

PJ:
Nep status

Aug 25, 2019
Glad you liked the letter. I started off thinking it would be nice to get a physical check in a physical letter then I had the sticker idea and then I realized that stickers are, at least to me, important - it's like a way of remembering places that you went to and trips you took. When I was in the Navy the only way to communicate when out at sea was letters so I used to write a lot of letters, the act of writing one made me feel closer to the people back home and mail call on the ship - everyone was always hoping to get something. In these days of e-mails I had sort of forgotten about all that, how personal physical letters were so nice but a couple of years ago my daughter in college did a project - she was on a fountain pen enthusiast website and asked people to write to her about why the loved fountain pens and what it meant to them. She received about 35 letters from all over the world! It was so cool looking at them and opening them up and thinking about the people who wrote them.

So anyway, glad you liked everything and hope you get better soon.
PJ

surfwordz
Miki Dora status

Aug 26, 2019
Hey howzit, thanks again really appreciate it so much it helped out much more than I can even explain! Been a messed up few weeks, wasn't thinking strait cuz I was in so much pain during the day {just don't like being on pain meds in the day time or anytime really}. Stressing cuz none my checks have come in yet from SS and TDI ever since I stopped working a few weeks ago, but they should be here soon. The erBB and you really came thru for my family and I. At first I didn't think Id need any help cuz the nurses helped me with all my forms, medical and financial too, but then its just taking forever {Maui Time, yeah?}. I have a whole shitload of stickers from Marzo, Ill send you a few pretty soon as soon as I'm doing a little better {can't even sit up strait at the table anymore it sucks. I can't even barely type too. I used to write a bit you probably remember my book I posted a bunch of it years ago {didn't realize you been on the erBB longer than I have I think}. But I got a call from AuthorHouse a self publishing company the other day again. I was gonna use them years ago but never could scrape up the money. Talk about irony, I received $975 from you and a few awesome folks at the erBB and the amount that AuthorHouse needed get my book going was like ironically almost the same amount, but too late we had already used it up on groceries past few weeks {THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU GUYS!!!!! :) }.STuff like this just makes me laugh it off. Overtime I come close to getting this thing published something happens preventing me from continuing on. I believe its all for a reason, if everything was jus handed easy too me I would miss all important lessons and the obstacles just make it more to work for. Gonna still make it happen tho, gonna use a bit of my 401k and really try and do this correctly {Id like to get them out and around the world hopefully by Christmas yeah. Anyways, sorry for keep rambling on I really want to send you a signed copy paperback along with a bunch of stickers too. Much Mahalo and Aloha my friend!

• Love

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
If memoria serves me correctly, and there's no guarantee there, he fell and hurt his back right above his beautiful behind after reef impact. But again... Mi memoria is not good.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Sorry if i missed it but is there a go fund me for his fam?