Rest In Peace Brother Larry (surfwordz)

surf cat

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jan 14, 2002
Dec 31, 2015

This is what Surfwordz wrote and posted just after my ~ Guess who got an Invite to "The Surfer Poll" ?" I missed my flight and got another flight that got me to Kauai... I remember wishing I could have had Surfwordz phone number . So we could have meet me and took off to the airport ...with all of US
(quote=surfwordz )Howzit Dale, brah?!! :)

Mahalo yeah for thinking about me brah. Im really honored to know you, not just for your accomplishments, but for how humble you are. You are one for real kine legend that I will never forget.

I still here, but only lurk havnt posted since my last post like over a year ago. I just dont have the energy to type anymore. I had a rough year last year I came really close to losing my daughter to drugs.

I had to put her in rehab off island, but she made it and is now clean and healhy again (just made one year sober in Oct. }.It was so bad I cant even fuckn explain man.

It just about killed me cause i couldnt eat or sleep not knowing how my daughter was {she ran away from home and I had amber alerts and all the police looking for her it was crazy}.

Every day not knowing where she was was torture. After what she went thru, its truely a miracle, brah..I know it sounds corny but, there really is a such thing as angels, man'

My healht went pretty bad for a while and I actually had to get a few gnarly surgeries. I even almost died the first night because I lost over two pints of blood in the middle of the night {small little filipino nurse yelling at my cuz I stay covered in blood and the mattress soaked thru dripping on the floor and sh!t, you know?}

Brah, I swear, I even had one Out of body experience too I shirt you not. It was so profound I cant even explain, but it was for sure a place I would never ever want to be..super cold and just pure silence but I could see everything going on as the doctors gave me a blood transfusion. It was for sure the eeriest sh!t ive ever been thru by far, brah :(

After about two weeks in the hospital they told me they found out that it was indeed cancer like I had feared and that they had to operate and cut me again {already was missing a slab of skin that was 5 x 6 inches and was over an inch thick. After the second cut I thought I was never gonna heal, It was a nightmare, brah I cant even explan.

Needless to say I spent most of my summer in the hospital here, so I had alot of time to rest and lurk the erBB. I watch that whole thread where PPK asked the mods to delete his account and it just tore me apart serious kine.

Besides Nep, PPK is the only man to ever make me cry {when he wen get Medivac to Oahu awhile ago}. :(

Seeing all his stuff get erased years and years of knowledge he shared with us haoles and we took it for granted I vowed never to post on the internet ever again and other than a few instagram stuff, I still havent been typing anything (this is the first PM ive recieved in years ).

It's not just that though, For real, Dale I love you all on the erBB and I wish I could post everytime, but it just takes too much to put it all down on paper, let alone type it on my wifes messed up computer {its all in Japanese }.

When I read this years ago I bought an Apple computer and sent it to him

Last edited:

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Thought of him the last time I surfed Windmills. We only spoke with each other once and we met after he was sick but I'll always connect him with that spot and think of him the way people described him.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I feel guilty I didn't see this at the time. R.I.P Surfwordz.
Don't, Larry wouldn't want to be the source of anyones guilt, believe me.

Next time you are doubting paddling out? Don't even think about it, DO IT FOR LARRY!!!

You won't regret it.

Think of him as you surf.

I practice this ritual and I swear he sends me sets when I am out there.

If you didn't know him, get a copy of and read "Small Kid Dayz".

If you cannot find a copy, let me know.

Larry.... :bowdown::jamon::waving::shaka::cheers::love: ... one of the reasons I don't fear death, I know I will finally meat him to his spirits face. :applause2::applause2::applause2::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Reactions: PJ and brukuns

Stinkeye

Miki Dora status
Jan 12, 2002
Gone and haven't looked back..
Visit site
Man, I missed this when it happened.. Larry was the real deal! Met up with him when I was in Maui and got shown stoke and was treated with the grand tour and much aloha the whole time I was there.. I’m so bummer to read this. What an amazing human!

I try and check in here every once in awhile and it seems like more often than not I’m met with another good soul passing. Life’s too short, don’t take that sh!t for granted,

RIP Larry!

Reactions: keenfish and b.r.

SurfFuerteventura

Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:jamon::jamon::jamon::jamon:

Thanx Wordz!

Sent me 5 set waves this morning at a north shore reef that wax mostly just runners by the rock cropping due to tidal sway.

Almost Low Tide. Of course.

Reactions: PJ