Resin Research Quik Kick???

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I use the west systems stuff alot and dont weigh or measure at all and it kicks every time and has an amazing shelf life. Only prob is the Brown hue but rattle can over to match wind and kitesurfboards

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I use a lot of Resin Research epoxy... In addition to my wood boards, I fiberglass wood skinned glamping trailers (www.homegrowntrailers.com) their wood shower panels and wood fenders... Have laminated, fill coated, sanded and final coated over 20,000 SF in the past four years... We work closely with Fiberglass Supply to perfect the process...

When it comes to dispensing, measuring and mixing, it comes down to a few simple steps... We weigh the resin on a digital scale then add hardener... We multiply the resin weight x 1.44 to get the total mixed resin wight, then add the hardener to get to that total weight... Having a resin weight chart eliminated the need to punch the calculator for every batch... We pour, not pump...Pumps will get stuck and are messy... If you don't hit the hardener weight exactly it is better to have a little less hardener than more... It cures better that way...

Mixing is routine, stir well for three minutes, two minutes is recommended, but we do three.. The next VERY IMPORTANT step is to let the freshly stirred resin sit in the cup for five minutes before applying... This gives the resin time to start the chemical reaction process that reduces the chance of humidity induced curing issues...

Follow those steps and you're good... Have fun...!!!...
I followed these steps on.Saturday before I went for a surf with quick kick....
I cut off ole glass of bottom crack apx 1" x 4" on old eps f4.
Mixed 6g of "A" and added "B" until I got 8.64g (little more then needed but not much waste)
stirred slow scraping bottom 3 minutes.
I let epoxy sit 5 minutes
I laminated 2x sglass let dry 24 hours
Hot coat did 2g "A" add "B" to get 2.88g
Came out perfect and clear no fish eyes or other crap only problems was first squezed a little to hard and picked glass up but was able to smooth back. Other was came back from surf and had to cut harder more then usual frog tape off because waited to long...

Reactions: GDaddy and PLJ

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
How can you not like that? Good mixes with almost no waste. No guess work involved. and since you're not trying to eyeball lines on a marked cup you can reuse the cup as often as you need to. Just let the leftover settle at the bottom.

Reactions: rowjimmytour
How can you not like that? Good mixes with almost no waste. No guess work involved. and since you're not trying to eyeball lines on a marked cup you can reuse the cup as often as you need to. Just let the leftover settle at the bottom.
Cups cost virtually nothing, use a new one... The chance of small bits chipping off into the fresh resin are really a hassle to deal with compared to the certainty of it not happening when using a new cup...Stir sticks too... Cheap chopsticks are a simple choice...

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Cups cost virtually nothing, use a new one... The chance of small bits chipping off into the fresh resin are really a hassle to deal with compared to the certainty of it not happening when using a new cup...Stir sticks too... Cheap chopsticks are a simple choice...
Agree 100% throw into recycle bin start fresh clean and sterile cup and popsicle stick.

Reactions: PLJ

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I followed these steps on.Saturday before I went for a surf with quick kick....
I cut off ole glass of bottom crack apx 1" x 4" on old eps f4.
Mixed 6g of "A" and added "B" until I got 8.64g (little more then needed but not much waste)
stirred slow scraping bottom 3 minutes.
I let epoxy sit 5 minutes
I laminated 2x sglass let dry 24 hours
Hot coat did 2g "A" add "B" to get 2.88g
Came out perfect and clear no fish eyes or other crap only problems was first squezed a little to hard and picked glass up but was able to smooth back. Other was came back from surf and had to cut harder more then usual frog tape off because waited to long...
Did you mix cabosil in with the second coat to fill the weave and keep the epoxy from running too much, or does the quick kick prevent run-off?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Did you mix cabosil in with the second coat to fill the weave and keep the epoxy from running too much, or does the quick kick prevent run-off?
No run off and only needed 1 laminate coat no cabosil and hot coat which after I weight added a little white pigment. Still came out clear pigment was a little gummed up did not add enough.

SirKooksALot

OTF status
Apr 1, 2020
The next VERY IMPORTANT step is to let the freshly stirred resin sit in the cup for five minutes before applying... This gives the resin time to start the chemical reaction process that reduces the chance of humidity induced curing issues...
Going to have to try this next time I make a board, somehow missed that step on the other few I've made

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Agree 100% throw into recycle bin start fresh clean and sterile cup and popsicle stick.
The West mixing sticks allow you to easily crack off the dried epoxy so that none mix in with the new batch. Same for the West mixing pots. Cups work great though.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Going to have to try this next time I make a board, somehow missed that step on the other few I've made
Works great another step on small skill ding I tried was applying hot coat after 1 hour 10 minutes (laminate just a little tacky). Worked great and less sanding, cleaning, prep etc still strong.

Reactions: PLJ