Reno

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Have to agree regarding the homeless situation in Waikiki. Each time I have gone to Oahu in the past few years, I thought that it could not get any worse. Each following visit has proven me wrong and it seems to be continuing to be following a downhill spiral.I recently accompanied my Wife on one of her business trips to Honolulu. We stayed in Waikiki, and when she was dealing with various State Bureaucrats downtown, I just cruised my old haunts in Waikiki. Pretty unsettling, even during the day. During the evenings, we would walk to different restaurants for dinner. I tried to explain to her that it is not the "old" Waikiki and at night a whole different cast of characters emerges. She kept telling me that I was exaggerating and it could not be that bad now. As if on cue, walking down the sidewalk at us is a guy with no shirt and attempting to pull his shorts up from his ankles, making noises and lunging at the tourists. Pretty shocking and unsettling for a Country girl from Maui. The rest of our stay, at night she refused to go any further Diamond Head past the Moana.

The situation with Reno is just sad. I have known Reno since the old Kui O Hawaii Surf Club days and hope there is a good outcome to his story.

At the risk of sounding heartless, this sounds likes parts of lots of big cities everywhere in the world, my own city (San Francisco) included.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Just snspped this driving through waikiki 3min ago
was living in a high rise building near Waikiki a few years back, one of the residents had a predilection to take homeless women back to his unit and "clean them up" :barf:

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
gettin' old can suck, huh?
i too, am a fan, of this OG!!!:

:waving:
The 70 had so much more style than the new kids on the block - why has style gone out the window - same thing in skating and snowboarding - I miss those with style and attitude.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I don’t understand why people live in Waikiki.

Kapahulu i understand. But a high rise in Waikiki? Wack
was working near downtown, close to everything, could ride a bike to the surf. better than living in Nalo or HK, quicker to the NS. Suburban hell is where you have to drive everywhere and have annoying neighbors in close proximity. Living in a building you can just ignore everyone and it's no problem :monkey:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
was working near downtown, close to everything, could ride a bike to the surf. better than living in Nalo or HK, quicker to the NS. Suburban hell is where you have to drive everywhere and have annoying neighbors in close proximity. Living in a building you can just ignore everyone and it's no problem :monkey:
No. I get that.

but kakaako or Chinatown always seemed more appealing then waikiki

Reactions: parkiteric

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
When my mother first arrived in Hawaii in 1946, she stayed at a small hotel in Waikiki for a week, before moving to Maui and her new job as a schoolteacher.

She said for a haole gal from the mainland, surfing and canoeing with the beach boys was fun and while having drinks on the verandah at the Moana Hotel in the evening, with the sound of the waves and the soft trade winds blowing, Waikiki had a kind of magical ambiance.

Not so much now, unfortunately.

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
I don’t understand why people live in Waikiki.

Kapahulu i understand. But a high rise in Waikiki? Wack
my friend just bought a 2b/2b high rise condo in kaka'ako for $1.25 million with $1200 HOA per month. :eek::eek: Good for him, but I definitely wouldnt pay that much. Also, it looks like Reno is out of the coma:shaka::)

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Have to agree regarding the homeless situation in Waikiki. Each time I have gone to Oahu in the past few years, I thought that it could not get any worse. Each following visit has proven me wrong and it seems to be continuing to be following a downhill spiral.I recently accompanied my Wife on one of her business trips to Honolulu. We stayed in Waikiki, and when she was dealing with various State Bureaucrats downtown, I just cruised my old haunts in Waikiki. Pretty unsettling, even during the day. During the evenings, we would walk to different restaurants for dinner. I tried to explain to her that it is not the "old" Waikiki and at night a whole different cast of characters emerges. She kept telling me that I was exaggerating and it could not be that bad now. As if on cue, walking down the sidewalk at us is a guy with no shirt and attempting to pull his shorts up from his ankles, making noises and lunging at the tourists. Pretty shocking and unsettling for a Country girl from Maui. The rest of our stay, at night she refused to go any further Diamond Head past the Moana.

The situation with Reno is just sad. I have known Reno since the old Kui O Hawaii Surf Club days and hope there is a good outcome to his story.
Lived in Waikiki from small kid times. Like You, we both knew so many guys from that time and era when Waikiki was fun and everyone knew everybody. A totally different vibe now days and the homeless .... auwe. We got Waikiki in the prime of it's days. I'll remember those days with a Smile, the true Aloha spirit of Waikiki and the Beachboy's that made it famous.